Murph Workout

View Latest Activity

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

Someone asked me about this workout, and so I’m going to fill you guys in, and provide something that many of you will find helpful:

Background:

Lt. Michael Murphy, recipient of the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for his valor during Operation Red Wings on June 8th 2005 (full detail here)

Excerpt:

Moving away from the protective mountain rocks, he knowingly exposed himself to increased enemy gunfire. This deliberate and heroic act deprived him of cover and made him a target for the enemy. While continuing to be fired upon, Murphy made contact with the SOF Quick Reaction Force at Bagram Air Base and requested assistance. He calmly provided his unit’s location and the size of the enemy force while requesting immediate support for his team. At one point he was shot in the back causing him to drop the transmitter. Murphy picked it back up, completed the call and continued firing at the enemy who was closing in. Severely wounded, Lt. Murphy returned to his cover position with his men and continued the battle.

Crossfit has a tradition of honoring fallen heroes with naming a tough workout after them. Sadly, there are far more fallen service members than there are workouts. Perhaps the most famous of these is “Murph”. Purportedly, this workout was actually a go-to workout for him personally.

The workout is actually a great test for the tactical athlete:

For Time:

Run 1 mile
        100 Pullups
        200 Pushups
        300 Squats
        Run 1 mile

*Partition pullups/pushups/squats as you see fit. Wear armor if you’re capable

Now here’s the thing. Many people shit themselves when they see this workout. I’ve seen plenty of athletes have a “sick day” or “something came up” on the day of Murph. I’ve also seen athletes settle for “half Murph”. I’m telling you right here, with proper training, this is totally doable. On the flip side of that coin, there are also athletes who think it’s some magic workout- it’s not. It’s a high volume workout, so pretty much no matter who you are, you’re going to need some recovery afterward (if you actually put out). I view it as a kind of workout to do once or twice a year (if you feel like it at all)….it all depends on your training goals.

The key to being successful in this workout is efficient running, while having the stamina to get through the pushups/pullups/squats with little rest.

With all that said, I’d like to toss out a series of workouts that once completed, should leave you prepared enough to survive the workout w/o vest. If you feel like you’re excelling at these workouts, put on the vest for 1/3rd of them, if you want to run Murph with armor. Each week consists of 3 workouts, to be completed on consecutive days (if possible). If the first two days kill you, rest the third day and then hit the third workout on the fourth day. There should be a 4th workout, that you’re doing something equally strenuous, but of your own choosing. This is to allow you to pick something you might enjoy a little more- for morale purposes. On that 4th workout, work around what is most sore, giving those muscles a chance to rest- BUT STILL PUT IN THE WORK. Also, you don’t need to work out 6-7 days a week. Rest is important. Four really intense days a week has gotten me to near elite fitness levels in the past (along with good sleep and excellent nutrition).

Also, if you notice, I leave some things open for interpretation, this is to allow you to customize, to some extent, for your personal fitness level. If you have almost no fitness, this is not the place to start and you should probably be setting your sights on something other than completing Murph.

Week 1

6 Rounds for Time:
        Run 400m
        10x Ground to Overhead
        (choose a weight/object that you know you can complete the first 3 sets unbroken, but doubt you’ll be able to do unbroken in the latter half of the workout)

15 min Cindy
        As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
        5x Pullups
        10x Pushups
        15x Squats
        *if you’re in good shape, you should be trying to maintain 60sec rounds for as long as possible (or the whole time)

For Time:
        Run 800m
        then 5 rounds of:
        10x Burpees
        15x Lunges
        20x 4-count flutter kicks
        Run 800m

Week 2:

As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) in 20 minutes:
        Run 400m
        10x Box Jumps
        15x KB Swings (or pack swings, choose a weight that you expect to be able to complete 3 rounds unbroken)

5 Rounds for Time:
        8x “Hard” Pullups (whatever “hard” is for your current fitness level: a weaker band, less jumping on jumping pullups, chest to bar pullups, weighted pullups, weighted chest to bar pullups, etc)
        10x Clapping Pushups (if you can’t do these, do regular pushups with as much force as you can muster)
        12x Thrusters (choose a weight/object that you expect you can do unbroken for at least 2 rounds)

Sprint: 100m, 200m, 400m, 400m, 200m, 100m (rest time = time it takes to walk back to start point, no rush)
        then: 3 rounds of max burpees in 1 minute

Week 3:

For Time:
        Run 1.5 miles
        60x Lunges
        50x Situps
        40x Ground to Overhead (suggest 40-60lbs, more or less based on your size and fitness level)
        30x Box Jumps
        20x Turkish Getups (if using larger sandbag, just keep it on shoulder)
        10x Single Arm Snatch, each arm (40-60lbs, break up between arms as you see fit)

Cindy:
        AMRAP 20 minutes:
        5x Pullups
        10x Pushups
        15x Squats
        *try to maintain 60sec rounds for first few (or all) rounds, depending on fitness level

8x 100m Sled Drag (can us a weighted tire, use moderately heavy weight, go as fast as possible…if you don’t have anything to pull two other options are finding the steepest hill in your AO to run up OR 16x 25m car pushes, if you have a “driver”)

Week 4:

AMRAP 30 minutes:
        Run 200m
        8x Pullups
        10x Dips (a really good improv to do these are saw horses, can also use chairs, gymnastic rings are where it’s at though)
        12x Toes-to-bar (if you can’t do these, do knees to elbows instead)

4 Rounds for Time:
        Run 800m
        Max Unbroken Pushups

AMRAP 20 minutes:
        10x Pullups
        15x Thrusters
        20x Situps

After Week 4, give yourself a few days to fully recover, and then hit Murph in Week 5.

JohnnyMac
        Participant

I would strongly encourage anyone interested in taking this on to post up your progress here. Semi-public accountability never hurt anyone.

tango
          Participant

Week 1

6 Rounds for Time:
            Run 400m
            10x Ground to Overhead

40lb sandbag
            19:13.23

JohnnyMac
            Participant

@tango Nice, I’m glad to see someone taking advantage of this.

tango
              Participant

15 min Cindy
                As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
                5x Pullups
                10x Pushups
                15x Squats

11 rounds 4 pullups. Pull ups being the weak point.

Virgil Kane
                Participant

I hope this is not the summer fitness challenge. :whistle:

Is there an interim alternate for the pullups? There was a time, many years ago, when I could climb a 20′ rope with no feet, but today my strength to weight ratio is upside down. I also don’t have a pullup bar at home.

tango
                  Participant

For Time:
                    Run 800m
                    then 5 rounds of:
                    10x Burpees
                    15x Lunges
                    20x 4-count flutter kicks
                    Run 800m

15:54.82
                    Lunges were L=1 R=1 not L R=1

Civilianresponder
                    Participant

Just finished 1/2 Murph with my best workout buddy!

Virgil Kane
                      Participant

Good job! He’s a spitting image of his old man.

Brushpopper
                        Participant

@darkrivers that boy does favor you, good work out buddy there!
                          Me and one of my boys just finished a half Murph, was a pretty hot today, 95°F on the thermometer under the carport, not much breeze until we were wrapping up!

Civilianresponder
                          Participant

Thanks! It’s good to see people taking the PT thing seriously. It’s pretty damn important. I wish my parents had helped instill good fitness habits when I was young. Then I wouldn’t have to make up for all that time I was a lazy ass. I’m trying to do better with my kids.

Pinky
                            Participant

in memory of all those who served and gave it all.

John 15:13: Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

tango
                              Participant

You guys are getting after it. Must be really cool to do this with your son. Good to see some future warriors. Respect.

JohnnyMac
                                Participant

56:02 w/ plate carrier

I wasn’t really prepared, and have done much better in past attempts. Sheer willpower got me through it.

Pinky
                                  Participant

good job!

I cut from 1 hour 15 last year to 55:12. BUT, I actually think I got worse. I ran it last time without “RTFM” and did things sequentially (all pull ups, then all pushups, then all squats in a row). At the time, I did not know what weight to use for squats, so I randomly picked 45lb plates. So, I did 300 squats with 135lbs. In a row. For the second mile, I looked like a wounded animal shuffling along, wearing a plate carrier.

This year, I looked about the same in the second mile run. It was a suck fest and I am still sore today. But, all for a good cause.

good job!

tango
                                    Participant

56:02 w/ plate carrier

Benchmark, set!

At the time, I did not know what weight to use for squats, so I randomly picked 45lb plates. So, I did 300 squats with 135lbs. In a row.

Fuuuuuuuck that.

As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) in 20 minutes:
                                      Run 400m
                                      10x Box Jumps
                                      15x KB Swings (or pack swings, choose a weight that you expect to be able to complete 3 rounds unbroken)

8 Rds 100m

JohnnyMac
                                      Participant

Benchmark, set!

Honestly, if you follow the training plan above, you should be able to do much better than that. Maybe get in some extra pullups when you can.

For me personally, it was the pushups that were killing me.

Nice pack btw ;-)

tango
                                        Participant

5 Rounds for Time:
                                          8x “Hard” Pullups (whatever “hard” is for your current fitness level: a weaker band, less jumping on jumping pullups, chest to bar pullups, weighted pullups, weighted chest to bar pullups, etc)
                                          10x Clapping Pushups (if you can’t do these, do regular pushups with as much force as you can muster)
                                          12x Thrusters (choose a weight/object that you expect you can do unbroken for at least 2 rounds)

13:57.23
                                          No idea how much my sandbag weighs. It’s full of rocks.

tango
                                          Participant

Sprint: 100m, 200m, 400m, 400m, 200m, 100m (rest time = time it takes to walk back to start point, no rush)
                                            then: 3 rounds of max burpees in 1 minute

Complete. Burpees done 1 min on 1 min off.

tango
                                            Participant

For Time:
                                              Run 1.5 miles
                                              60x Lunges
                                              50x Situps
                                              40x Ground to Overhead (suggest 40-60lbs, more or less based on your size and fitness level)
                                              30x Box Jumps
                                              20x Turkish Getups (if using larger sandbag, just keep it on shoulder)
                                              10x Single Arm Snatch, each arm (40-60lbs, break up between arms as you see fit)

24:43.81
                                              Lunches L=1 R=1
                                              45lb sand bag

tango
                                              Participant

Cindy:
                                                AMRAP 20 minutes:
                                                5x Pullups
                                                10x Pushups
                                                15x Squats
                                                *try to maintain 60sec rounds for first few (or all) rounds, depending on fitness level

16 rds 5 pullups 10 pushups 9 squats

Civilianresponder
                                                Participant

Nice job! Good to see someone gettin it done.

tango
                                                  Participant

8x 100m Sled Drag (can us a weighted tire, use moderately heavy weight, go as fast as possible…if you don’t have anything to pull two other options are finding the steepest hill in your AO to run up OR 16x 25m car pushes, if you have a “driver”)

Week 3 complete.
                                                    Don’t own a sled so I had to rig something up. First 2 laps were with the 45lb sandbag in the tire. Took it out for the next 6.

Don’t let your mind quit before your body.

JohnnyMac
                                                    Participant

Don’t let your mind quit before your body.

This, is a very true statement.

tango
                                                      Participant

3 weeks ago if you had asked me if I could complete a Murph I would have said, “I don’t know.”

With Johnny’s plan here it’s now clearly in my sights. Each week builds confidence. Here’s how:
                                                        Week 3, Workout 2, I did 17 rounds of 5 pullups for 85 total. A full Murph has 100. Even though it was hard and the rounds of 5 were broken, I know I can do 100. If you had asked me 3 weeks ago how many pullups I could do no way would I have ever said 85, nevermind 100. Compare the pace to the Week 1 Cindy and my pace was faster in Week 3 despite being longer. Confidence boost! If 1 min rounds are maintained that’s 20 min to complete the entire workout portion of the Murph. A 1 mile run takes me 8:00min /- 30 seconds. Extrapolate that for a full Murph on that pace and that would be a 35-37min overall time – which is a blistering pace considering anything under 45mins for a Murph is exceptional. Can I put it all together like that? We’ll find out, but notice now I’m not even questioning finishing and I’m already thinking about times!

Most of the workouts are more mental than physical. Somebody once told me, “If you approach a weight like it is heavy, it will be.” Completing each one of these allows me to know “I can do that.” so the next time the workout comes up there’s zero doubt. It’s interesting how this affects the way your body works.

@johnnymac is breaking us down and building us up. Killer.

Might even be excited to do the Murph now? WTF? :wacko:

tango
                                                        Participant

AMRAP 30 minutes:
                                                          Run 200m
                                                          8x Pullups
                                                          10x Dips (a really good improv to do these are saw horses, can also use chairs, gymnastic rings are where it’s at though)
                                                          12x Toes-to-bar (if you can’t do these, do knees to elbows instead)

7 rounds 100m

tango
                                                          Participant

4 Rounds for Time:
                                                            Run 800m
                                                            Max Unbroken Pushups

Complete. 122 pushups. Cheated and did 2 extra pushups after each breakdown.

tango
                                                            Participant

AMRAP 20 minutes:
                                                              10x Pullups
                                                              15x Thrusters
                                                              20x Situps

9 rds 10 pullups 1 thruster
                                                              45 lb. sandbag

Week 4 Complete

JohnnyMac
                                                              Participant

9 rds 10 pullups 1 thruster
                                                                45 lb. sandbag

Killed it!

Weber
                                                                Participant

good job!

I cut from 1 hour 15 last year to 55:12. BUT, I actually think I got worse. I ran it last time without “RTFM” and did things sequentially (all pull ups, then all pushups, then all squats in a row). At the time, I did not know what weight to use for squats, so I randomly picked 45lb plates. So, I did 300 squats with 135lbs. In a row. For the second mile, I looked like a wounded animal shuffling along, wearing a plate carrier.

This year, I looked about the same in the second mile run. It was a suck fest and I am still sore today. But, all for a good cause.

good job!

These are supposed to be air squats (unless you have a vest on), not back squats with a barbell lol!

tango
                                                                  Participant

First attempt at the full Murph. Went a little too hard, puked at exactly halfway.

Good news: I was on pace for a sub 36 min. time.

tango
                                                                    Participant

For Time:

Run 1 mile
                                                                      100 Pullups
                                                                      200 Pushups
                                                                      300 Squats
                                                                      Run 1 mile

First complete Murph. No PC.
                                                                      39:42.33

JohnnyMac
                                                                      Participant

First complete Murph. No PC.
                                                                        39:42.33

Excellent :good:

Civilianresponder
                                                                        Participant

Great job! You’re gettin after it! :good:

• #99482
                                                                          tango
                                                                          Participant

6 Rounds for Time:
                                                                            Run 400m
                                                                            10x Ground to Overhead

Re-Doing the entire cycle now with plates.

• #99483
                                                                            JohnnyMac
                                                                            Participant

This is Memorial Day weekend, so a fitting bump.

I just did it in 52:05 w/ armor. Not what I was shooting for but 4 minutes faster than last year.

• #99484
                                                                              Civilianresponder
                                                                              Participant

Did this today with my son and one of our friends. No plate carrier. We did the full run but 1/2 murph. Finished in 51.5 minutes.

• #99485
                                                                                Pinky
                                                                                Participant

49.29 with carrier, 3 mags. Pull ups at the end were pretty dang hard. Need to do more weighted pull-ups

• #99486
                                                                                  JohnnyMac
                                                                                  Participant

49.29 with carrier, 3 mags.

Well done dude! :good:

• #99487
                                                                                    tango
                                                                                    Participant

49.29 with carrier, 3 mags. Pull ups at the end were pretty dang hard. Need to do more weighted pull-ups

That is pretty dang good man!

My effort this year, first time with plates, 53 min range. Time taken from clock at the event. Making improving this time a goal now.

Viewing 39 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.