Multicam Bivy?

View Latest Activity

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Has anyone had stumbled upon a reasonably priced multicam bivy? I’m trying to get my sleep system completed for a patrol class. I have a line on a quite inexpensive Army style sleep system but wondered if I could supplement it, especially since I DESPISE the UCP. Thanks.

Max
        Keymaster

Why not just take a lead from special forces and spray paint an inexpensive one?

Max
          Keymaster

Spray painting gore tex would defeat the purpose of using it. However, there should be plenty of woodland MSS bivies out there.

Max
            Keymaster

Why not just take a lead from special forces and spray paint an inexpensive one?

Doable I guess…will the paint soak in or will it just crust on the top and flake off when it’s crumpled into a stuff bag? Never tried painting something like that. Maybe just a really light coat?

Max
              Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MayorQuixote wrote:</div>

Doable I guess…will the paint soak in or will it just crust on the top and flake off when it’s crumpled into a stuff bag? Never tried painting something like that. Maybe just a really light coat?

Chuck’s right. Ignore what I said.

I’d take a look at this in-depth comparison on camo types. You might find that Multicam is just an expensive way to do the job that most other camos do well already.

Which Camouflage is Right for You? ITS Tactical Camouflage Comparison II Results

My only complaint is that this study was done exclusively in a desert environment. Always fighting the last war…

CW
                Participant

Take a look at A-TACS. Kind of pricey, but looks like it blends much better than Multicam. There’s a Gear Finder on their site, as well.

http://www.a-tacs.com

batsoff
                  Participant

I think you are on the right path with the military sleep system…

See here… Woodland Bivvy

This one is used, but there are new ones also available if you look around the net. I also need to pull together a sleep system for the patrol class.

norinco
                    Participant

I’ve gotten multiple MSS bivy sacks off of eBay over the years for around 35 bucks in Woodland in like, new condition.

I promise your bivy sack does not have to match your plate carrier. Or your socks.

CW
                      Participant

Didn’t think of this before, but there’s a raw materials section at http://www.multicampattern.com . If nothing else, you could fabricate a cover for your sleep system with it. Add some scotchgard and make it water resistant…

Max
                        Keymaster

If “multicam is a MUST have, Check out http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=mtp bivi&_frs=1
                          for MTP “multicam” bivy’s… But as others said, You can’t go wrong with a woodland MSS bivybag, they are cheap, and works well, I’ve slept in the rain with mine, and it kept me dry and happy! Buy a new, unused bivy, so You’re sure there are no holes in it…http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gore-Tex-WOODLAND-Bivy-Sleeping-Bag-Cover-US-Military-Issue-NWOT-/281290007357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417e30e33d

DiznNC
                          Participant

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I find multi-cam is too light for deep woodland areas, such as where Max is, and pretty much where I am at as well. You may disagree but I encourage you to really look at your terrain first and see what actually works.

When you look at the AAR pics here from classes, the MC stuff just seems to stand out as too light. Compare that to the guys with the old school woodland on. That shit rocks out, IMHO.

You could argue that it would work in early spring/ late fall. But even the mfg has come out with a “green” pattern, not to mention an “arid” one, so this whole concept of “multi-cam” has been pretty much dis-credited, as far as I’m concerned. Of course YMMV.

The ATACs stuff looks good visually but does not contrast well under NIR. Just a consideration.

Also, think about when you will be actually patrolling in a real WROL situation. Look at how the pattern works in low light. Both visual and NIR. The woodland works quite well under NIR, with the black segments contrasting well. The DPM is awesome, with black AND brown segments contrasting.

For a good basha, nothing beats the old school woodland camo poncho. Cheap and available. I really like the Brit DPM basha too. It’s actually the best one out there, but sometimes a PITA to get. But the vendors on ebay are pretty reliable.

Guys the bottom line is old school woodland (and even Brit DPM) is cheap and available right now. And it WORKS, period. Throwing your money away on boutique patterns that are popular with the tacti-kuhl crowd doesn’t make sense.

And I admit, I used to be one of those guys. I just had to have the latest camo pattern and all that other shit. But now my focus is on the actual training, not looking fashionable.

CW
                            Participant

Good points, Diz. Makes me wonder if a thread on camo would be well-received. Everyone could tell what camo they use, what kind of terrain and vegetation their AO is composed of, and how it works in the field.

Lloyd
                              Participant

You guys are exactly right. Camo is dependent on your AO. In my AO (scrub desert) multicam is hard to beat, and woodland sticks out like a sore thumb – almost looks black compared to surrounding area.

Max
                                Keymaster

Good points, Diz. Makes me wonder if a thread on camo would be well-received.

It would be by me. I came on today looking for a thread just like it. It’s hard to test different patterns when you have budget constraints and I’d love to hear from someone in an area like mine (NC mountains) who has already got the experience.

Max
                                  Keymaster

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I find multi-cam is too light for deep woodland areas, such as where Max is, and pretty much where I am at as well.

Trust me when I say I am no stranger to the camo debate nor to woodland.

I am actually brand relatively new to multicam but I was persuaded to buy some last winter when my woodland camo failed spectacularly.
                                    Your point about woodland camo in the summertime carries but multicam is what I would call a 3-season pattern here in the South, and it works OK in summer. I will of course be bringing my woodland along when I go to Max’s this may.
                                    Regarding the bivy matching my gear-Can a man be allowed a little bit of vanity :yahoo:

Justin
                                    Participant

If multi cam is your flavor check out wiggys bivy bags

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.