Modular Sleep System

View Latest Activity

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I think someone mentioned something about the current issue GI Modular Sleep System recently and in that mention was something about the price. Anyway, how does $99.00 plus shipping grab you? See it on sale until 31 Aug at http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Modular-Sleep-System-P17374C2322.aspx#

Corvette
        Participant

The two bags combined together you get a system capable of -50ºF (in conjunction with cold weather clothing).

That’s cute…

But it is a great system..

Max
          Keymaster

Yeah, that caught me too. Just put on clean socks and t-shirt and get in the fart sack. You will get and stay moderately warm and much more comfortable. Guess they got to through in the extra sales pitch for cold weather clothing.

Corvette
            Participant

If I’m not iced up everything i wore in the day in going in the sleep sack with me @ night and then some at anything sub 0. New socks is optional depending if my are wet. Even that @ 50 below you will freeze if you dont know how to get through the night. The reason and variable are many and chronic. Ive used 2 green bags inside the black with a poncho liner and clothing on and still froze @ 20 and 30 below..You literally learn to fall asleep doing flutter kicks and tensing your body on and off (much like you do on a air plane to promote circulation, it also generates body heat) to generate heat some nights..Best thing to do for yourself is get something fatty and hard to digest in your gut before you go to sleep. Spam burns like a gut full of hot coals.

anyhow sorry I hijacked your thread..

Bergmann

Brian from Georgia
              Participant

$99 ain’t bad considering what you get. I caught mine on sale at Midway for $75.

Edit: just saw where armygear.net has them in fair to VG conditions for $60.

Max
                Keymaster

$99 is about what I paid for mine.

If you have never used one be mindful that if you are a big guy it may be kind of snug. It is also fairly bulky and heavy if you’re carrying all the bags together. On the other hand it was LIGHTYEARS warmer than my much larger Big Agnes bag that was rated for 15 Degrees.

Corvette
                  Participant

We get them for $60 at the local gun shows. $99 seems like a pretty decent deal for online from what I’m seeing. Midway has them for that price. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261064/military-surplus-mss-30-degree-4-piece-sleeping-bag-system

Greg Owens
                    Participant

I just ordered two used modular sleep systems with pad for $64.95
                      each plus shipping from Armygear.net. Recommended by J.C.

Robert
                      Participant

Those are great prices on those. They have been phasing them out IIRC which is why they are so cheap now.

I remember getting a “deal” buying my first one in 1996 for $275.

A lot harder to find but worth looking is the first version that was just a thick bag with the gortex cover and a set of booties and hood that was fleece lined like the older version “Bear” suits.

We have four sets of the MSS for the family, but the one that has the booties and hood is marked “Dad”

Corvette
                        Participant

I bought both mine piece by piece..saved me a lot of $$$

Max
                          Keymaster

I bought both mine piece by piece..saved me a lot of $$$

That’s what I did, brought two complete sets piece by piece from Amazon, was around $40-50 a set at the time.

Andrew
                            Participant

I was able to get my order in at the last minute for the “deal” price. They arrived today and are going to make great pieces of kit.

Thanks for the tip TexsonSFC?

Max
                              Keymaster

For those who may not have experience with the MSS, the most important things to keep in mind are:

a) it’s a “system” which means it works best in combination with its components, and,

b) Unless it’s the dead of winter, you will rarely need the whole thing. The only component I always keep in my ruck or assault pack is the Bivy Sack.

For me, (and I sleep cold, so YMMV), in the mid-Atlantic where we have cold/wet winters and hot/humid summers the system works this way:

Temp Range(Farenheit)/Component(s) NOTE: This assumes that you are using a good ground pad and some sort of overhead shelter like a poncho/tarp/basha when necessary. If you’re sleeping directly on the cold, hard ground, and/or getting drenched with rain you will be cold and miserable. And don’t forget a warm hat like a fleece or wool watch cap.

55 and up/Bivy Sack and/or poncho liner (or sweltering on top of both until it cools down enough for me to sleep – a bug net is essential for this in my AO)

40-55/Bivy Sack and Patrol (Lightweight) Bag with appropriate snivel gear, especially a fleece watch cap.

25-40/Bivy Sack and Cold Weather (Heavyweight) Bag, again, with appropriate snivel gear.

Below 25/Full Sleep System (Bivy Sack plus both sleeping bags) with appropriate snivel gear.

Please note that these temps are approximate and this is MY “comfort” range. It’s what works for me; it may not (probably won’t) work for you. Everyone is different. Some sleep hot, others cold. The conventional wisdom that you should strip nearly naked to sleep warm in your bag is good advice ONLY if your bag is warm enough for the conditions to do so. If you’re traveling light and carrying less bag than the temp calls for, you will need to supplement with warm clothing and/or hot water bottles/hot hands, etc.

Unfortunately, the only way to learn this stuff is through experience which means trial and error. Too much bag means you’re toasty warm at night but your pack is heavier. Not enough bag means you freeze your ass off but your pack is lighter…except for all that extra snivel gear you brought to make up for your lack of sleeping bag.

And whatever you do, do NOT save on weight by leaving the sleeping mat behind.

Andrew
                                Participant

Chuck, thanks for the advice. My experience is limited to an old GI wool blanket or the intermediate mountain bags. Those were A.O.,specific uses.

BTW, wool blankets also are great for crossing barbed we fences, just don’t leave pieces of it on the fence if you are being sneaky.

Mike H
                                  Participant

Ran a test run last night w/ a poncho liner inside a bivy sack. Slept inside surplus pup tent to keep mosquitoes off. Central Mn got down to high 40s. No boots but wore my field clothing. The sleep mat(knockoff thermarest) is the key as Chuck stated earlier. By dawn it was alittle chilly. A month ago I slept the same but had my snugpack sleeper instead of the liner…too warm at beginning of night but had to completely crawl into bag by the wee hours.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.