Met with my congressman today…

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Met with my congressman today…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric
      Participant

Dr Phil Roe…

The purpose of my visit was to get some input on his stand on the second amendment for another organization that I am a part of, Gun Rights Across America.

This is a guy from very humble beginnings, who got his education, became a doctor of a very successful firm that still operates today. He went from city council, to Johnson City Mayor, then to the house of representatives.

I was immediately struck with what a “down home” guy he is. He told me that he grew up in the “sticks,” with no running water or indoor plumbing. As a kid, he and his father, and siblings, hunted and fished for much of what they ate. He served in the second infantry in Korea, and is a “gun nut” (he refused to tell me how many firearms he owns because he would be embarrassed, and I might not believe it.)

He then pulled out his wallet and showed me his concealed carry permit so that there would be no misunderstanding on where he was on the 2nd amendment. :good:

I asked him why he believed that the 2nd amendment was placed in the constitution by the founders, and his immediate answer was:”The founding fathers, having had to fight for their independence, understood the danger of a government grown out of control, and an unarmed populace. They did it so that changes could be made if necessary.”

I asked him his views on the “militia” movement. He said:”Well there are kooks everywhere, but, responsible, conscientious people must be able to care for themselves. In the event of a catastrophe, grid down, etc, there will be unrest, and people need to be able to defend themselves, their families, and their neighbors.”

I asked him, what do you think would happen if there were ever a federal push to confiscate firearms? He said:”well, I can’t speak for any other state cause this is where I grew up, but when it comes to the people of Tennessee being told they have to give up their guns? You want to talk about an armed uprising?”

Overall, I was very impressed, and glad that I got the chance to see that they aren’t all bad.

Corvette
        Participant

There are still good people in gov’t!
          Everywhere!
          Even in the 3 letter agencies.
          Some of them are reading this right now. ;-)

JohnyMac
          Participant

Great report Eric, thank you for sharing your visit with your Congressman. :good:

More important then even knowing your Senator by name is knowing your US Rep. I know mine on a first name basis and we are totally opposite on the political spectrum. With that said, he has called me for my thoughts on certain issues and helped MrsMac & me dig out of Hurricane Sandy “red tape”. The best part, he knows up front that I will not vote for him yet he is willing to go have a beer or a cup of coffee with me.

My hat is off to all folks who know your US Rep. Go introduce yourself.

Eric
            Participant

Great report Eric, thank you for sharing your visit with your Congressman. :good:

More important then even knowing your Senator by name is knowing your US Rep. I know mine on a first name basis and we are totally opposite on the political spectrum. With that said, he has called me for my thoughts on certain issues and helped MrsMac dig out of Hurricane Sandy “red tape”. The best part, he knows up front that I will not vote for him yet he is willing to go have a beer or a cup of coffee with me.

My hat is off to all folks who know your US Rep. Go introduce yourself.

I really, truly, got a good feeling from the guy.

I been in sales for thirty years, and I know when someone is trying to sell me. He was not. He strikes me as someone who believes what he says, and says what he believes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.