Max Velocity Tactical Communications Course – Good Idea?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication Max Velocity Tactical Communications Course – Good Idea?

• This topic has 15 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 4 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 118 times
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      CommsPrepper
      Participant

All,

I had a moment to speak with Max after taking the one day CQB class about the possibility of adding a radio communications course to the MVT curriculum. This would be a classroom class in Culpeper, VA. I have put together a draft syllabus for a one day course that focuses on the various radio services available to civilians (MURS, GMRS, FRS, CB, and Amateur) and how these services might be applied to meet individual operational requirements. The idea is if students can better define their operational requirements they will be better prepared to select the appropriate radio service(s) and equipment. This would not/not be a Amateur (Ham) radio centric course but Amateur radio will be covered as one viable option (depending on individual requirements). It was also suggested by one of my fellow CQB classmates that a second day be added for hands-on operational training with different types of radios – something that can easily done.

Questions for the forum members:

1. Is there an interests in an MVT communications class?

2. What topics would you like to see covered?

3. Would you prefer a one day or two day class?

Feedback is appreciated.

Respectfully,

Hank/CommsPrepper

Roadrunner
        Participant

A comms course is a great idea. This would provide new training material for the MVT Alumni crowd. It would also be an opportunity to expose a new and different group of people to tactical training at MVT. That might help recruit a few new students for the firearms/tactical classes.

For subjects I recommend equipment selection, power supply options, antenna building, general radio protocol and conventions, security concepts and encryption, and data modes/options. The needs most people talk about are intra/inter team comms while on foot; patrol/vehicle to base/home comms; and long-range comms. Where most radio techniques focus on getting your signal as far as possible and to as large an area as possible, tactical considerations are different. You might also want to incorporate observation and reporting practices (SALUTE/SALT etc.). You might get some of the experienced SF guys to set up a real hide site and covert transmit station.

I think a two-day course would be better, maybe Day 1 in the classroom and Day 2 in the field.

Mike Q
          Participant

Hank,
            I would like to attend this course. Maybe a 2 day class makes sense? Classroom the first day and practical field use the second day?

BrigandActual
            Participant

That sounds like a great idea!

Topics I would be interested in:
              – Constructing good communications plans
              – Maintaining some form of COMSEC without encryption
              – Demonstrations of antenna setups

I know Joe has covered the value of shortwave radios in the past, and I recently picked up a County Comm GP-5, I’d love to learn more about putting it to good use.

SeanT
              Keymaster

Hank said “The idea is if students can better define their operational requirements they will be better prepared to select the appropriate radio service(s) and equipment.”

This is the biggest hurdle in trying to do a comms class. There literally are endless solutions using radio, knowing the problem is the hard part. That and trying to convey that there is no single comprehensive solution. This concept is one preppers get hung up on, they usually want one out of the box magic item they can put on the shelf. That doesn’t work because you have to use this stuff.
                Imagine having to put together a jigsaw puzzle before your rifle will fire, you might want to practice that , ya know!

Hank,
                Add to your list how to talk on the radio…. Be clear, concise, DO NOT RAMBLE, consistent language, pro-words, etc. I know you know what I mean.

D Close

1) Setting up the TOC.
                  2) What COMM systems are required?
                  3) Urban operational considerations.
                  4) Command and control exercise. Day two, students use radios to conduct simulated recon, coordinate movement, send routine and emergency traffic digital and voice.
                  5) Use of encryption via Zello or email. See Ronald’s primer.
                  6) Use of HF in the field.
                  7) Build expedient antennas for HF, VHF.
                  8) Use of fldigi and flmsg.
                  9) Explain various digital modes and features.
                  10) Building comm plans. Command and Signal.
                  11) Understanding DF techniques. Conduct foxhunt.
                  12) Scanning and listening. What info is important?
                  13) Equipment and power systems.
                  14) Use of radio and patrolling.
                  15) Building a comm binder.

tango
                  Participant

– Interest: Yes.
                    – Scope: We generally come to MVT to learn team tactics. Keep the radio class limited to how it can augment those operations?
                    – Duration: 2 days minimum, hands on field work absolutely essential

wildbill
                    Participant

Yes I’m interested and to cover what has been suggested so far especially team comms and COMSEC I can’t see how it would be less than two days.

Corvette
                      Participant

Interested, especially due to location.

-Alex (Andy)

trailman
                        Participant

1) Setting up the TOC.
                          4) Command and control exercise. Day two, students use radios to conduct simulated recon, coordinate movement, send routine and emergency traffic digital and voice.

I’m with D, Id be more interested in these topics than an general survey of whats out there. On the comm side I’m not a novice more of an apprentice.

zeerf
                          Participant

1) Setting up the TOC.

I’m with D, Id be more interested in these topics than an general survey of whats out there. On the comm side I’m not a novice more of an apprentice.

also interested and agree with trailman and D
                            :good:

gramma
                            Participant

It’s a good idea, both your version of basics in a team environment and trailman’s long list, which sounds more ham related. But I seldom go “east” anymore for anything. Not that far, anyway.

The Prof
                              Participant

I am absolutely interested in an introductory “prepper radio communications” course; said so last year when the idea was raised, and haven’t lost interest since then. It would need to be introductory, for me at least, as I know next to nothing about the subject. But definitely, interested in a one or two day course.

AgingDrifter
                                Participant

Very interested. Recently got my general, want to understand solid NVIS setups for intermediate range comms, antenna/band choices for intra-continental monitoring and judicious comms, rifle squad radio selection/setup. Application of digital to our needs. Thanks.

maxdamage
                                  Participant

Interested as well, found a local radio club that offers Saturday classes for technician level license starting in October.

Max
                                    Keymaster

I might consider adding classes such as this, if I am certain that we are keeping focus on MVT primary tactical activity. I’m not going to consider expanding class options, and thus potentially overextending, unless tactical classes are at capacity. Many of you need to get your basic tactival training squared away. We discussed this recently concerning CRS & DCH

Is force on force in November full? Is CRS & DCH full going forward? Are people purchasing TacGun patches and getting the word out via the patches and business cards I am going to include in the package?

MVT is priamrily about tactical training. I will consider expanding to add-ons once we are working to capacity at the core. I have written elsewhere about pivoting more to SOF training if civilians are not training so much. I do not see all classes full. FOF in November needs more. We have a core of active alumni but a lot more who are not training. How many of you here on the forum have not trained at MVT? How many more are ‘one and done’ on a single class? There are no excuses, we have people training from CA to AK. This is really important training. It requires a couple of leave and travel days and it is at minimum an annual event. Anything else amd you are kidding yourself.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.