Max Talk 034: Why the 'Lone Wolf Operator' will Die (2): Individual Assault

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 034: Why the 'Lone Wolf Operator' will Die (2): Individual Assault

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

tango
        Participant

Anybody over seen the History Channel show “Alone”? The show always ends because people get taken out for health reasons. Nobody can actually survive alone – you will starve. That’s about as close to a real-life, documented, INCH scenario as you can get. They’ve done 5 seasons now and it ends the same every time. Pretty concrete evidence.

People need eachother to survive.

The added sound effects of incoming fire and multiple perspectives really made this video. Nice touch. You’re really getting the hang of this video gig.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Max excellent job!

The clarification of the limitations of the given scenario and emphasis on a individuals inability to control when any contact happens was outstanding.

Something overlooked by many of the “wannabe kommandos” is a lone operator would also need to be in outstanding physical condition! Any deterioration of situational awareness due to fatigue would be amplified as a solo. One of many problems as we know.

…the History Channel show “Alone”?

While there are certainly lessons that can be learned from such entertainment, it is important to remember that participants are not chosen primarily for their survival skills, but their ability to engage the audience.

RobRoy
            Participant

Would you have died? I put it at 50/50. My reasoning, you were up against 2 Ivans spaced close together and you could have theoretically suppressed them with quick almost gamer like rifle movements. That is if they did not connect with the first exchange.

As for Force Ivan I would have wanted to be further apart if I were them.

Andrew
              Participant

Agree with the above, but what stuck out to me was when you transitioned into the sunlight area how the white hair on the sides of your head stuck out. That’s not a dig or saying you’re old, it is a reminder to me, who has totally white hair, as short as it is, to wear a cover and darken the sides so that they don’t glow. :bye:

Brushpopper
                Participant

Bottom line, you need a battle buddy at the very least! Well done, I have been enjoying these. Love the two camera angles! :good:

GreenTip
                  Participant

That was great. Very well explained for the people who need a little push to understand and do the welllllllll. Really drives the point home you need at the minimum a buddy pair but more is better if they are trained up.

William Crowe
                    Participant

Again, LIKE THE FORMAT – short, sweet, to the point!

And this time, a question has been raised.

Survived?? Somewhere in the recesses of the gray matter, I remember someone saying “first one to hit, wins”. A surprise is just that, surprise. Which entails momentary inaction. So the first one to get back into the game, accurately assess what is going on, and responding appropriately and accurately wins.

keeping the head in a iPhone definitely loses this one…… :yahoo:

Sam Brady
                      Participant

The two cameras tell the tale. Excellent video Max.

BrigandActual
                        Participant

I got around to really watching this one last night, and not just letting it run in the background. I think this is your best effort yet.

Actually being out on the ranges adds a lot of perceived credibility over sitting behind the desk. It’s “doing” and not “telling.”

The content is great, and I liked your engagement of the audience at the end. Calling them to action is a good move.

It’s a lot of work to do these, but you could also tie it back to an article in your blog archives. Similarly, update the relevant article in the archives with the embedded video.

Great stuff

Max
                          Keymaster

So I read these comments, and although positive, I’m like: ‘Holy Shit!’ The idea of the office Max Talks was to produce something more informal and constructive. I took it into the woods. I do prefer talking even without live fire as the picnic table, not having to worry about setting up lights .

But this shit needs to be sorted out. I am either doing professional useful talks / range demos, I’m going for click bait, I’m doing the same as everyone else, or I’m doing different and adding value.

This is the problem with feedback. Feedback is good, but what is the mission to channel that feedback? Need to know what we are aiming for here.

BrigandActual
                            Participant

I guess that depends on what you want out of it. I got the impression that you were looking to increase social media presence by producing quality sharable content. You’ve got that, now you need the community part of it- which comes from people commenting, liking, and sharing.

Community takes time and a lot of effort. You’ve got it here in the forum, but that’s not visible, so there’s no “social proof” that people are talking about it. If people don’t see comments, then they don’t want to stick their necks out and be the first. IF they see lots of comments, then they are more likely to join the crowd.

I would guess that you also want to drive traffic back to the site, so that people see your classes and sign up. How are your site stats looking for that? Is IG and YouTube driving clicks? What about the emailers? Did you get more traffic when comments were open on the blog?

I don’t think you need clickbait, you need engagement. You’re doing it right, especially by responding to comments, but it’s just a slow process.

Max
                              Keymaster

The big solution is to open the forum up again. I think it needs to happen. Something where the forum is open but you need to register to comment. We will just have to police it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

But this shit needs to be sorted out. I am either doing professional useful talks / range demos, I’m going for click bait, I’m doing the same as everyone else, or I’m doing different and adding value.

Well all of your videos have had value and been different from what I’ll call mainstream trainers.

A somewhat controversial title that overlaps slightly into so-called “clickbait” that doesn’t take away from value couldn’t hurt if done in moderation. Don’t believe it should be the focus, but let’s face it many have considered you to be controversial from the beginning. ;-)

I don’t think you will have much problem avoiding “doing the same as everyone else” even if it was your goal.

The quality of your videos has improved, the animated MVT introduction is great.

The issue is still reaching a larger audience.

Using the additional sites could help, but will need to monitor for various changes in your statistics for evidence.

Based on limited data maxvelocitytactical.com highest visits peak (again a limited data set available to me) was September/October of 2017. Recently in the beginning of May 2018 was the most recent peak in visits though lower than September/October 2017.

I seem to remember September/October 2017 was related to Survivalblog articles. As touched on before, the Prepper crowd has been a relatively reluctant customer.

I am not sure the increased traffic resulted in anything beyond brand recognition.

The May 2018 I am not sure yet, perhaps SSD?

BrigandActual
                                  Participant

What about a separate public and paid section of the forum? Having exclusivity is still a valuable thing.

Max
                                    Keymaster

Alumni forum. As it was before.

Max
                                      Keymaster

Not paid. But you have to be an alumni. Call just made to IT. Watch my strike.

A_A_Ron2guns
                                        Participant

Soooooo…… I think one more video with simmunitions to really drive it home would be awesome. You could show the lone wolf at the end covered with hits.

A_A_Ron2guns
                                          Participant

Also I love the vids!

SeanT
                                            Keymaster

One thing I noticed in the video was from the Ivan perspective, how hard it was to locate/identify the enemy (Max). We hear it a lot and experience it in FoF but this video demonstrated how a dude with a rifle can be sort of invisible.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.