Max Talk 026: Standing Reloads & Dropping Empty Mags

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 026: Standing Reloads & Dropping Empty Mags

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Civilianresponder
        Participant

:good:
          Max
          Thanks again. I hope you know how much these are appreciated. I don’t think there is anyone else out there that is as generous in sharing their hard earned experience to help make their fellow patriots harder to kill.

Max
          Keymaster

:good:
            Max
            Thanks again. I hope you know how much these are appreciated. I don’t think there is anyone else out there that is as generous in sharing their hard earned experience to help make their fellow patriots harder to kill.

But the views show that they arennot reaching many of those Patriots. Somewhere on average of about 500 views per Max Talk?

How do we mount a guerilla marketing campaign to share and pronmote these?

Civilianresponder
            Participant

I’m not sure but I’ll think about it. I’m not much of a social media guy. But I think Insta gram is a good way to engage a lot of people.

GreenTip
              Participant

Good one. Most people do the stand and reload. It is so taken out of context.

JohnnyMac
                Participant

Good topic. Prior to training at MVT, anyone I got training from taught reloads standing on the flat range. It took most of my first day at MVT to break that habit. Now I look back and just shake my head. It’s crazy to think that out of the number of people who own an AR15, there’s a very small subset who receives any training whatsoever, and then a really small subset of that group actually getting high quality professional level training.

You did a good job explaining the nuances of dropping mags/retention. For many random viewers, I think even the explanations will go over their heads (no context). I’m also not a dump pouch fan either. I tried a dump pouch once but found it more trouble than it was worth. Empty mags clanging together making a bunch of noise, slapping you as you run, having to sort mags, etc. My personal mag management system is: empties go in left cargo pocket (one button), partials go back into mag pouches, during a reconsolidation phase- bump partial mags to rearmost positions.

BrothersKeeper
                  Participant

Another excellent Max Talk. I am an advocate for dump pouches. They are quick and easily accessible and have great utility. Things do clunk around a bit. Putting mags in pants pockets is too slow for me. I can redistribute and plus up during breaks in the fight. One day I will have a flat stomach like Johnny Mac and I’ll be able to dig in my pockets like he can. :bye:

Hessian
                    Participant

A very good subject to touch on. I don’t think many people think about the idea of concealment or cover during a reload.

In Max’s comment about doing a peel drill and maintaining a low ready when on the move. if one needs to do a magazine change ( moving during a peel) would it than be appropriate to switch to a “high ready” for the magazine change?

I ask as the instructors I have worked with in the past wanted us to ensure that the magazine well was close to eye level so we were looking forward (at possible targets) and not down at the ground during magazine changes.

I am adding the video as a quick reference. According to my 2 previous instructors I’ve had in the past, they would say that this youtube star’s reloads are a bit too low and the rifle should be raised up a bit. I am not sure if that is coming from their competitive shooting background or their 7 years of being out in the field as SF guys.

Max
                      Keymaster

@hessian You need to come to training for context. We do not allow mag changes on the move during break contact. Only on assault through. Weapon is patrol ready down as you move on break contact. We only use high ready for CQB. IF you were to do a mag change on the move, then you would bring the muzzle up – which is exactly why we don’t do it on HEAT classes.

Hessian
                        Participant

@Max

Thank you for the clarification on the no mag change rule during a break contract drill.

I am currently working on making a HEAT 1 class soon. I have personal conflicts with both the Aug and your DEc def handgun class at the moment. Worst case is that I hope to attend your HEAT 1 class in March. :good:

Lloyd
                          Participant

Excellent explanation, Max!

A lot of this stuff came directly from professional 3-gun types who have been contracted to do classes for SEALs, Delta, etc. Then on top of that, as you have pointed out so often, those “tier 1” guys are mostly doing quick raids on structures – CQB.

I’ll bet those same guys would NOT do stand-up 3-gun type reloads if they got into a gunfight while sneaking through the woods on the approach to an objective, though.

The civilian “tacticool” world takes all this stuff out of context, and I think a lot of the trainers who SHOULD know better are more about marketing than about actual training.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.