View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 025: Casualties

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

RobRoy
        Participant

Gotta say I have never heard a thing about casualties from the Pew Pew fellas. (IMO a big blind spot)

Daniel
          Participant

So glad this is coming up. Added to PT some time ago the 50 yard buddy drag followed by a 50 yard buddy carry. Minimum buddy weight is 180 pounds and it’s a great reality check.

Edit to add, the buddy drag is a good way to know if your plate carrier or chest rig is of decent quality. Cheap handles come right off.

Brushpopper
            Participant

Great Talk! There is a lot of info in here, I’ll have to go back to rewatch for sure. I found this very thought provoking, especially in detailing the mission planning, QRF, what to do when taking a casualty in all the different scenarios (initial contact, breaking contact or assaulting), extracting, etc…. Lots to think about, lots to rehearse.

TC
              Participant

Sobering stuff, great talk.

tango
                Participant

How long before we start working casualty SOPs into training? Leader’s Course? Add a Tactical Planning Exercise to that section of the forum?

Max
                  Keymaster

How long before we start working casualty SOPs into training? Leader’s Course? Add a Tactical Planning Exercise to that section of the forum?

1) Alumni Weekend, August 4-5.

2) CLC. We already did that, but mostly you guys just left your casualties to die. It was in the rules. Let’s see if we can do better this year. Same happened on FoF.

GreenTip
                    Participant

Great talk. Back in 2005 I had a special assignment for the summer. I am a soon to be retire state police sergeant. My agency and the national guard receive federal funds to cut marijuana each summer in the eastern part of my state. Dope is a huge cash crop in that region. The terrain is exactly like MVT but this area we were in had burnt 15 years prior and regrown. It was a total mess of fallen trees and new growth. The way it works is the helicopters spot the dope from the air and tell the mix of troopers and national guard soldiers where the dope is and guide us in. We rode in hummers until we could not go any further then 4 wheelers then walk in and cut and burn the dope. One of my fellow troopers became a heat casualties up on top of a mountain. It was around 100 degrees and he was sweating but was pale and ice cold to the touch. Myself and about 4-5 others carried him down a huge mountain and up the side of another to the ambulance in a tarp we rigged up. No place to land a helicopter and to rugged for the 4 wheelers. He spent several days in the hospital. One of the physically hardest things I have ever done and he didn’t have body armor or all the kit most of us wear while training and nobody was shooting at us!!!! Total gut check and to do that for real would be impossible for most people due to the fitness level they have. So go PT.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.