Max Talk 022: Determination & Fitness

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 022: Determination & Fitness

• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 6 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 39 times
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Hessian
        Participant

Kinda surprised to see you wearing Jeans while doing manual labor in high 70 degree heat. I guess the humidity is low? When I worked a skilled labor job and while doing ‘yard work’ I preferred to wear 50/50 poly/cotton pant. They just always felt much more comfortable/cool feeling.

While I agree with your premise of getting out there be active, get into good shape and keep up with physical and cardiovascular conditioning. I believe your approach may be a bit misguided with the vanity weights. First your average person can’t get that ‘huge’ (also assuming they are lean) where they would be a hindrance to themselves. Those that are that huge and lean are 90% likely to be on PED. Those who are just ‘huge’ and not ‘lean’ are neglecting cardio or just have a piss poor diet.

Cross fit has its merits and I am by no means a cross fit fan. The biggest flaw I see is their programming and progression. Its just randomness flung onto the wall at many of the ‘boxes’. I did cross fit one summer and it was a nice change of pace but hardly something I would do long term.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that a smart lifting program combined with a solid diet and cardio plan is hard to beat. Think of it as a 3 legged stool. Remove one leg or leave it short and you are lacking the physical traits to become the whole warrior.

Max
          Keymaster

Who is this ‘Hessian’?. Reading your comment to guys at CQBC. Johnnymac is here. :wacko:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Hessian you really need to work on your written delivery skills in this case.

There is certainly room for discussion on physical fitness methods and theory.

You haven’t been on the Forum very long; which is fine, but why should we take you criticism seriously without some supporting information?

Have you trained and oversaw fitness training for large groups of people professionally?

Max has, while at the same time preparing them for military careers, skills, and combat.

Of course I am not saying if you haven’t that means you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, but how you do so can make things come across more effectively.

In this instance your setup was Max’s clothing choice, leading to a small carrot, then why Max is “misguided.”

A better approach would be to setup with a question, explain your alternative experience, and go from there after getting a response.

Just some friendly guidance from a Moderator for you to consider.

Hessian
              Participant

Joe and Max

I will attempt to convey my thoughts to others on the forum more clearly in the future (including this post).

I had no intention of malice in my previous post, but rather to spark discussion about fitness training methods. My comment about Max’s jeans was more of my own surprise that he wasn’t wearing “tactical” pants. If I remember correctly Max has made comments (on the forum) about moving away from tactical/military looks and was wondering if this was a conscious move on his part. After re-reading my post the jean comment, I seemed to be lacking the proper context.

In regards to my fitness background (keeping it brief) I was an athlete from a very young age, began strength training when I was in my early teenage years, and while my competitive athletic career ended over a decade ago I are many years of experience in athletic training. I do not train or coach athletes for a profession but I do give help when asked.

Max keep on doing what you do here at MVT. There is a great value in the type of training and knowledge that you offer. Anyone would be hard pressed to find such training elsewhere. The video of you working out on the trail and falling trees clearly shows the love and pride for MVT.

Max
                Keymaster

*hugs*

:heart:

BrigandActual
                  Participant

The “getting huge” comment reminded me of a podcast I listened to last week. It was two former Army SF guys who run a business about survival (Fieldcraft Survival is the company) and they were talking about fitness, particularly during Ranger school.

They clearly recalled that the guys who showed up huge (muscle wise, not fatness) had a lot of issues compared to the guys who were smaller but “strong enough.”

The huge guys, when confronted with a lack of calories to sustain all that mass, basically starved. Their muscles were slowly eaten away to provide fuel for the rest of the body.

My takeaway has always been a solid strength training plan, but with an overall goal towards health rather than “looking good.”

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I had no intention of malice…

No problem, we have a great and productive Forum here without most of the drama prevalent in much of the internet.

We try to be proactive in preventing the “fog of the internet” from leading to misunderstanding and unproductive strife. :good:

GreenTip
                      Participant

Max is so right. If you can’t function due to not being fit you are screwed. Just a solid level of all around fitness. I do have a few questions for Max:

1. Did you at any point curse the tree in proper English off camera?

2. Did your back hurt at all after moving the tree? Just curious due to my current broke back.

3. It pained me to see you doing work in the MVT shirt. Mine is like only for display in public to advertise MVT only.

On a serious note. Good example for the video.

Brushpopper
                        Participant

Max, great video on the benefits of physical labor replicating real world application or soldiering applications. Nothing beats good old physical labor like that, from cutting down trees, to digging ditches with a grubbing hoe, or loading square bales of hay onto a trailer and taking them to the barn and staking them to the roof (did that a summer or two in my youth). Pat MacNamara talks in his Combat Strength Training book about getting “away from the nonsense of pretty muscle building” and going towards a performance based training to work within your own capabilities. Your video here is a lot similar to what he is talking about. I’m glad to see your able to do more heavy lifting, I’m sure it was annoying not being able to do what you were accustomed to doing prior to your surgery. Keep it up! :good:

Roadkill
                          Participant

This is what I do almost everyday. Tree work. Max I loved your video that’s my life. I retired firefighting at 57. I’ve been a tree worker for 10 years professionally. Just turned 61. This pic is from last Thursday. Max you could wear shorts for all I care, but brother get some chainsaw protective chaps before you cut yourself bad. I’m saying this from brother to brother, no joke. Please. The average chainsaw accident takes 135 stitches, and is usually very ugly, I just had a friend cut his left kneecap in half. PM me if you don’t know what to get and I’ll bring you a set in August.

Max
                            Keymaster

I have chainsaw chaps. I know all about it. Anymore advice from anyone? How about focus on what the video is about. And yes, I wear jeans all the time, and work in them all the time in heat and humidity.

I’m not liking the tone of this forum much recently.

Roadkill
                              Participant

Max no ill intent. Loved the content of the video. Agreed with the actual ass busting suck kind of work. Mentioned chaps because I care about you. I’m in the industry and I’ve seen very shitty things happen to great people. That’s it.

Max
                                Keymaster

Well, I have a pair of chaps after i cut across my thigh, opening up a pair of jeans and the top layer of skin. That was clearing VA jungle. I use them for close brush clearance work and anything where i’m getting into a tangle of brush and branches. Have cut jeans several times in similar circumstances. I don’t tend to wear them for simple logging. Everythingnin combat is a calculated risk. Plates or no plates mission dependant, etc.

Robert
                                  Participant

Reading this thread made me remember why I stopped making youtube videos. I would cover something like “this is a fake gun, look at the barrel bend” and then get comments saying I was unsafe pointing it at the camera….

Seriously guys, a lot of people stop doing stuff like this because the comments and commentary get just stupid frickin ridiculous... Yeah I know it’s the frickin internet and everyone’s got a little voice and likes to be heard and feel special when they comment, but THINK first.

Good video Max, thanks! :good:

Roadkill
                                    Participant

Got it. Stay safe.

BrothersKeeper
                                      Participant

“The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: if someone tries to give Max advice, “stop!”, go limp, or tap out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: Do PT like Max and get yourself to the VTC and train!”

JohnnyMac
                                        Participant

Johnnymac

I just got a chance to see this video. I literally laughed out loud at the long chug of water!!!!

swmcphrsn
                                          Participant

Max,
                                            You bought some cheap (steel) body armor to wear on the step machine after your surgery while you still had some limitations on how much you could lift. Are you still doing that now that the weight limitations are gone?
                                            Steve

Max
                                            Keymaster

Max,
                                              You bought some cheap (steel) body armor to wear on the step machine after your surgery while you still had some limitations on how much you could lift. Are you still doing that now that the weight limitations are gone?
                                              Steve

In principle, yes, but I have been working with a knee injury (long term) so not right now. Wearing a weight vest on a stepper is a great way to PT.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.