Max Talk 019: Tactical Training: How Safe is it?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 019: Tactical Training: How Safe is it?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Lloyd
        Participant

These just keep getting better and better!

:good:

Civilianresponder
          Participant

Great job!

farmer
            Participant

Well done. I feel you did a real good job explaining how much safety is built into your classes.

William Crowe
              Participant

:good:

Coming from a NRA background, when I first attended, I had a bit hesitancy when we did “contact rear”. BUT, you had taken us through each drill prior and had focused so much on doing it safely, that I did it and saw NO issues.

Might some be nervous?? Yes, but to those I say – COME TRAIN, and see for yourselves the focus on safety and the quality of instruction… See ya at training!

swmcphrsn
                Participant

These things are coming out so fast that I’m having trouble keeping up. :yahoo:
                  The new format (you sitting in a chair vs standing in front of a white board) seems much better to me – much more like after running the drill we go back and discuss it like in class.
                  BTW, Happy Birthday!

A_A_Ron2guns
                  Participant

The strands are so important but max just scratched the surface. Those strands of safety are woven into the safety net. It’s there to catch you when you “fall.” Both figuratively and literally.

It starts with a culture or philosophy. The understanding that these actions (combat) are inherently dangerous and that safety is a force protection measure that is as important as your rifle or vest.

The instructional material, all the knowledge, is designed for safety. From a mag change to a malfunction drill there are aspects of safety in each movement. It’s built in. It’s as much a part of the drill as getting more ammo and fixing a jam.

The actual physical layout of ranges contributes to safety in that there is only so much happening at once it can’t be overwhelmed and other areas of the VTC are protected. Students are accessible by ATV for movement off the range in an emergency. It’s engineered for safety.

The targets, ammo restrictions, distances used all contribute to student and instructor safety. There is a prejudice against unsafe holsters, slings, ammo and methodology. It’s not just what is done at VTC but what is not done.

The instructors are highly trained. Their importance cannot be over stated. They aren’t some 22 year old awayteam kid working at a range with a red shirt and enforcing proprietary range specific rules that are more about policy than safety. The MVT instructor has seen combat down range and knows what right looks like. You can survive on a two way range a one way is easy!

Finally every student is a safety. Stop means stop. Anyone can call it. You’re given that power the moment you step foot on VTC ground. It’s your reserve chute.

RobRoy
                    Participant

IMO the most helpful video yet, mainly because the point of functioning with a team and awareness of them

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.