M2 Inc Ratcheting Tourniquet

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit M2 Inc Ratcheting Tourniquet

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Civilianresponder
      Participant

I just saw these online and wanted to see if any of our members with first responder or medic experience have any opinions on these. They look like a neat concept that may be a little more carry friendly than a CAT or SOF-T.

https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/type/ratcheting-medical-tourniquets/

wheelsee
        Participant

Never seen them before.

I’ve learned to stay away from the pointy end of the stick when it comes to new items. I don’t know one way or the other on this one but until DOD or EMS (busy ones) are using it without problems, I won’t use it.

As humans, we tend to gravitate to the shiny new things……be cautious…..

Civilianresponder
          Participant

This has actually been around for awhile, but I just came across it. It scored well in a NAVSEA evaluation.

https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/applications/military/medical-tourniquets/navsea-evaluation/

JohnnyMac
            Participant
              wheelsee
              Participant

This has actually been around for awhile, but I just came across it. It scored well in a NAVSEA evaluation.

https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/applications/military/medical-tourniquets/navsea-evaluation/

The study is from 2007. The fact that this is the first I’ve seen it/heard of it makes my decision easy…….35 years Emergency Services…..street and Level 1 Trauma Center (not pulling the authority card, merely giving my work experience to give a reference point for my decision)

Civilianresponder
                Participant

I’m familiar with that. I wish more people would see how important bleed control knowledge is for every responsible citizen. I carry a CAT daily, just curious about these M2 tourniquets. Seems interesting that they have performed well in testing but are not well known. I know the Ratcheting Ranger TQ was too strong and could break bones, but that is a different TQ all together. I do appreciate both of your input. Thanks.

Civilianresponder
                  Participant

The authority card….. How dare you??!! LOL
                    Experienced points of view is what I am looking for, from people with knowledge like yourself.

Civilianresponder
                    Participant

I read online that the CoTCCC guidelines were based on testing that was done in 2004 and has not been updated since.

JohnnyMac
                      Participant

:unsure:

Civilianresponder
                        Participant

This is an interesting and important topic. I will update if I find out anything that can be documented.

Civilianresponder
                          Participant

Findings from the original tourniquet testing in 2004.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a441140.pdf

I have not been able to find any info that points to more recent testing to establish the CoTCCC recomendations for approved tourniquets. Its strange that something so important would not be tested more frequently especially with the tech advances in the last 5 or so years. According to the person at M2 more recent DOD evals confirmed the NAVSEA results but the reports are classified.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve learned to stay away from the pointy end of the stick when it comes to new items.

I think we’re all on the same page, but this standard applies to all products that I stake my life on (firearms, medical, safety equipment, etc…).

Civilianresponder
                              Participant

I agree, but I would not necessarily follow protocols without more research. Military leadership can make horrifically bad calls regarding materiel and equipment. For example UCP/ACU etc. I think it is shameful that such an important item for saving lives is not tested in more frequent fashion. Do other countries use the same CoTCCC protocols? Israel or the UK for example.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I agree, but I would not necessarily follow protocols without more research.

No disagreement from me I don’t need a particular organizations blessing, just want a proven track record before I jump on the bandwagon. ;-)

Civilianresponder
                                  Participant

:good:

Civilianresponder
                                    Participant
                                      wheelsee
                                      Participant

I found this in the above article…..the Burke discussed is the ratcheting-type TQ

“The Burke, TK-3, and TK-4 also received positive responses in their subjective rankings of second, third, and fourth best, respectively. Positive aspects of the Burke were that its concept of use was easy to understand, and its application was fairly easy and quick. Problems identified with it were that its initial cinching down was extremely difficult to perform with one hand, and ratcheting the device was difficult because its plastic teeth slipped once the tourniquet was under tension. Because of the teeth slipping, many subjects felt that they were unable to get the tourniquet as tight as they would have liked.”

Strider
                                        Participant

FWIW,,

I’m an EMT student right now, we were trained on tourniquets yesterday. They covered ratcheting tourniquets and we were told that they had problems right now. Specifically, one of two things would happen – either the ratchet was too strong and could actually break bones due to tension (especially in the lower leg/arm), or they weren’t strong enough and would slip sometimes.

The works. If it ain’t broke…

wheelsee
                                          Participant

Sounds like a basic user problem (breaking bones)…..TQs should be “high and tight” compressing the vessels against the large bone. If going more distal, you’re left with vessels between bones (either radius/ulna in forearm or tibia/fibula in lower leg). Going lower will compress the bones with potential fractures.

Just on the surface, but seems to be an operator error issue…..

I’m still not going to use them though B-)

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.