Living in Baltimore During Our Mini-SHTF

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Articles Collection Living in Baltimore During Our Mini-SHTF

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I pretty much rarely check the forums to be honest, though I do lurk and read the blog on a regular basis.

Being a Baltimoron myself and as far as I know being the only dude on the forums who was anywhere near the riots, I figured I’d give some first-hand observations on what went down here. If anyone else lives near any potential urban “hotspots” like I do, maybe my observations might help you figure out what to keep an eye on in case SHTF in your city.

First, a little background on myself, I live in a neighborhood in what is generally considered North Baltimore, though it’s actually more towards the center. Demographically, Hampden is one of the few working-class white neighborhoods that wasn’t gutted during white flight, though it was still left pretty trashy (prostitution, heroin, crack, surprisingly no meth, we Baltimorons stay loyal to both our sports teams and our narcotics) up until gentrification picked up from Johns Hopkins students and employees in the early 2000s. Sadly, there’s a strong history of racial tensions here, the Klan operated openly until the 70s and it’s not hard to find someone who will go on a racist rant if you accidentally say the “right” things – “Before The N*#@%!s Took Over” is treated by some locals as a proper measurement of time (0 BNTO being approximately 1968 AD if you’re wondering). Before the hipsters moved in and made the property values spike everyone lived in persistent fear of black folks “taking over” and everyone talked about fleeing to Pennsylvania before the property values could nosedive. North of us is a very wealthy white neighborhood called Roland Park, and the other neighborhoods around us (Woodberry, Remington, etc.) are demographically mixed in terms of race and income, and partially gentrified themselves, though not to the same extent as us. So, in that regard, we have some “insulation” from urban unrest.

The first outbreak of violence was on Saturday, April 25th. If anyone had been watching the news it wasn’t totally unexpected. The protests had been largely peaceful up to Saturday night, though everyone was getting the jitters when some of the protesters were mouthing off on CNN about “F*ck the police!” and murder and getting physical with CNN crews and whatnot. (It seems the protest leaders had no plan to interact with the media and get their point across, so local clowns showed off for the camera in their stead.) What passed under a lot of folks’ noses was that Malik Shabazz had been posing for the media as a protest leader in the days following the violence.

While the Baltimore Sun and other news outlets had been referring to him as the leader of Black Lawyers for Justice, none mentioned his previous history as a founding member of the New Black Panther Party, which is effectively a breakaway sect of the Nation of Islam who were too racist for even the NOI. No one mentioned that part or his history of racist and anti-Semitic comments…Hmm…

The official protests were pretty much confined to the front of City Hall and largely peaceful – my very white nephew went down there and said it was perfectly safe. However, when the official protests ended around 4 pm that afternoon, Brother Shabazz led a group of protesters towards Camden Yards to continue the protests. (Again, no planning on the protesters’ part – anyone take time to consider what could happen after the official protest ended?) Reportedly, he then said “Let’s shake this game up!” and the crowd grew violent, attacking police cars, civilian cars, and even passersby themselves. There were some reports of bar patrons hurling insults at the protesters too, and it appears the bars also failed to plan ahead for any potential issues between patrons and protesters. Estimates of the number of protesters were at about 2,600 people, and this spat of violence was mostly confined to the Inner Harbor, our downtown.

I went to work around 8 pm that night, and one of my co-workers told me a few dudes had come in with attitudes, one wanting to argue over cigarillos and bragging that white folks were shook. Shortly after I arrived, some middle-aged black dudes came in wearing cliché Black Panther garb, their hair greased back, black leather jackets and such. Two of the dudes obnoxiously complained about why random things had to be black (the lettering on our touchscreens, various food items, etc.), and then I heard another of the group, a tall bald guy in a black sweatshirt, mention in a really high-pitched, nasally accent that he had never been to “Hampton, Maryland” before. I asked him in a friendly tone where he was from and he said Wisconsin, and so I welcomed him to Hampden and he replied “Why thank you!” before leaving.

So that’s what outside agitators look like. Middle-aged dudes with black leather jackets and a random dude from Wisconsin. I didn’t even know they had black folks up there, but I digress.

Just in case anyone assumes anything, I get just as many black customers as white customers and they’re no better or worse than my white customers. I get great customers of all shades, and pricks of all ethnicities and socioeconomic statuses. You haven’t seen bad until you get drunk hipsters at three in the morning.

The second spat of violence the following Monday was linked to a group of Frederick Douglass HS kids who planned to enact a “purge” at Mondawmin Mall, a (finally) renovated mall in a pretty rough part of Baltimore you wouldn’t see me at late at night. (The “purge” being a reference to a movie, if you don’t know already Google is your friend.) Police were prepared in riot gear and shut down the mall and public transportation in the area to try and nip it in the bud, but it instead trapped a lot of the students there. The riots started outright there and spread to the surrounding neighborhoods by Mondawmin Mall, which are also pretty poor and crime-ridden.

Side note: Hearing that many sirens blaring from your backyard towards rioters is kinda creepy, even for a city kid.

Fortunately, those neighborhoods are a long ways from us on foot, and the I-83 effectively divides our neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods from the rougher parts on the other side. Most of the rioting was initially confined to parts of East Baltimore, though it eventually spread to parts of West Baltimore as it became apparent that the BPD was overwhelmed and unable and/or unwilling to respond. (The CVS that was looted was in East Baltimore, the old folk’s home that burnt down later that night was in West Baltimore.) One of the cops I know was apparently told to not put on helmets and whatnot to avoid looking scary and militarized, but after folks started getting head injuries they disregarded those orders and put them on anyway. Both West and East Baltimore have a lot of impoverished third-world zones, the really wealthy neighborhoods are in North Baltimore or completely gentrified districts downtown like Canton and Fells Point.

By the evening, a state of emergency had been declared and Gov. Hogan had activated the National Guard, though it took until nightfall for them to start to arrive. (I never got to see any, kinda disappointed actually.) I work night shift at a preferably unnamed convenience store, and my phone blew up from concerned family members terrified of me being there during the riots, I joked that between all the rich hipsters in Hampden and the old money in Roland Park, we’d have the 82nd Airborne parachuting in the streets before we got hit. By 11 pm we were ordered by the BPD to shut down along with all the other businesses because they didn’t have enough cops to watch after everyone in the area. We eventually locked the store down and me and a co-worker listened to the radio all night to try and get updates. (Note: We all learned the usefulness of police scanner apps to keep updated that week.)

Don’t expect your employer to be prepared for SHTF either – we were ordered by a superior to have an employee to stay and watch the (closed) store all night as if one of us could stop a flash mob and it wasn’t until the curfew was in effect on Tuesday (Why starting Tuesday? Why not immediately?) that we got orders from HQ to shut and lock all the doors and send all personnel home for nights until the end of curfew.

We had a number of employees who couldn’t make it to work because the public transportation was cut off or they had rioters in front of their homes and it was unsafe. One of my co-workers had the shop next to her home looted, she could hear the looters through her walls but thankfully they didn’t set fire to the store. The next day she said she saw empty boxes of Nikes and bottles of Oxies scattered across the sidewalk and guys selling loose cigarettes of a brand I will not specify (but you can probably guess) across the street from the destroyed store.

Life under a curfew is weird, everyone has to scurry home like children before 10 pm. The first night of curfew someone lit a trash can on fire in our local park. It was pretty trivial, looked almost like a fire pit, but still a bit too close to home so I grabbed my Mosin and some stripper clips of ammo just to be safe. (Yes, I know I need a proper battle rifle or something but being poor sucks. Or did you miss the point where I said I work at a convenience store? ;-) )

Our neighborhood was pretty quiet overall, everyone was too scared of the rioters to riot themselves. It became a ritual to turn on CNN right before 10 to see if anything flared up but it was nothing but crowd dispersal the rest of the week. Thankfully some of the legitimately peaceful protesters stepped their game up and formed human walls and such to prevent any of the kids out there from instigating things with the police. From Monday on the only news was mostly clean-up in the affected areas and that rioting kid by Mondawmin Mall whose mom gave the slap that will go in history.

Imagine being known in history as the dude who got slapped upside the head during the 2015 Baltimore riots. Let us hope that it inspires him to improve himself so he is remembered for something more than that @$$-whoopin’, because I know I geeked when I saw that on TV. But again, I digress

The only other thing that happened in our neighborhood was hipsters protesting on the last night of the curfew that it wasn’t being enforced here like it was elsewhere. (To me it sounded like they were allocating resources where needed, to others it was apparently racist.) Leave it to hipsters to protest over police brutality and then protest over a lack of police brutality. Not sure how it was in other places because I wasn’t doing much running around that week, but it was easy to sneak around if you know the neighborhood (a lot of trees and alleys here), though you’d still get detained if caught.

Hopefully this proves insightful to somebody, if my wording is too brash or blunt I apologize. :P

Corvette
        Participant

Rampant:

Thank you so much for this detailed article.
          It brings out the flavor of being in that situation and communicated the feel of being in the very beginning of a SHTF slide.

:bye:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As F said, thanks for the write up. :yes:

Rampantraptor said:
            “Thankfully some of the legitimately peaceful protesters stepped their game up and formed human walls and such to prevent any of the kids out there from instigating things with the police.”

I saw this on some of the raw feeds and heard it on the online scanner feeds, it was a good sign and should have received more press.

As to your Mosin, sure it’s not a first choice weapon for defense, but I wouldn’t feel unarmed and it certainly would temper any desire to get into any fight unnecessarily.

As an aside I still check out the Rudaw link you posted awhile back.

Corvette
            Participant

I moved this into the articles section as “the Lounge” has many miscellaneous posts.

nonconformist
              Participant

RR- Thanks for your effort. BTW, that Mosin makes big holes and the bolt action works every time!

Max
                Keymaster

Rampantraptor:

I am awarding you a “Nation in Crisis” training scholarship:

Free attendance on any of the June/July/August CTT classes.

Free use of an MVT loaner AR15.

Talk to Uncle Fred about affordable training ammo.

Max

Max
                  Keymaster

I’ll throw $100 towards his ammo if RR can make it to a class. Max, how would I do that? I remember being poor and only having a Mosin!

M1-Guy
                    Participant

This is an excellent read and interesting perspective versus what MSM puts out.

Max & Fred

I’ll pitch $100 in also toward expenses, ammo, lodging, food.

Let me know and I will send $$$$.

Arthur

Corvette
                      Participant

… for lodging we have free camping on site :)

between the moneys you donate, I’ll throw in the rest to get him up to 1000-1200 rds of economy ammo.

M1-Guy
                        Participant

Fred

In the event he doesn’t want to camp, the $$ I send can be used whatever way is best. I hope he takes Max up on the great offer. Lots of relevant stuff for him even though he is in a downtown city environment.

Just let me know when it is needed and where to send it.

Arthur

RRS
                          Participant

God does Maryland suck or what? I remember someone from there in my class who was nicknamed “French Resistance” talking about how you could “legally” have a combat rifle and it sounded like you needed a lawyer to advise on even picking one up.

At least in the People’s Republic of Illinois the ministers of propaganda in the state capitol of Chicago do not have full control of the narrative, as they do in other areas of the country. (Of course “respectable” conservatives worship authority, even if its held by left wing authoritarian bullies who spew nothing but propaganda 24/7)

Corvette
                            Participant

Word is that the law is so poorly written an AR needs to a non gov’t barrel (like an HBAR) to be “buyable”
                              Appearantly many gun stores offer new rifles rebarrelled as HBAR FS.

Mike H
                              Participant

Great post RR. From his well written summary of the happenings in Baltimore I believe he is a “right thinking” kind of guy.

As far as Maryland goes…wow…this arrest of the dead guy over a “spring-assisted” knife. All the folders I have are spring assisted…I guess if you got grandpappy’s old pocket knife you are safe….people are so stupid to allow these laws to even see the light of day. Next the knife will be illegal if it’s either “sharp” or “has an edge”. So I gotta ask… are whistles legal in Maryland w/o a permit? I probably should make sure my whistle is locked up separately for my rifles, ammo, and mags. :wacko:

I’ll bring 100 rounds of extra ammo to CP class coming up as a donation for RR…least I can do.

Max
                                Keymaster

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post it.

nonconformist
                                  Participant

Uncle Fred-I’ll pledge $100 to use as needed. Just contact my email.

gramma
                                    Participant

Rampant – you must be a neighbor to my D, who lives in that neighborhood. Your account follows very closely what she told me, as I watched the tweets, videos, and listened to the scanner feeds, myself — from states away. We had already discussed what kind of things would require them leaving the city for here, so it was down to whether she perceived things were starting to spill over into your neighborhood.

She & I lived a county south of Romney for some years and across the state line in Va – off & on – for more years than that. I’m in NC, now.

I’ve been lurking here for awhile, after someone linked the original Rightful Liberty article by Max. I wasn’t sure how y’all would react to a female – and one closing in on 60, at that. It’s not like I can’t hit what I’m aiming at… (the D is a better shot) and I do understand a LOT of the training stuff, despite no experience.

Corvette
                                      Participant

Those who wish to donate moneys should send to Max :)

But rampant raptor needs ot come back to his thread and notice his good fortune first :bye:

gramma
                                        Participant

It would be good to hear from Raptor again, after the current crime wave.

Anonymous
                                          Inactive

Finally hopping back on here checking on the tread…Cool beans, nice to see everyone else appreciated it. :) (Had to hop on here in Internet Explorer, the MVT login is flagged as an unreliable connection in Firefox – anyone else having that problem?)

As for an update on the situation here, there’s been a crime wave since the riots ended, of which I’m sure you guys all know since once again Baltimore is in the news for all the wrong reasons. Two days ago a woman and her 7-year old son were shot in the head and killed, and last time I checked they were saying it’s the most violent month since 1996, I guess these goons are trying to make it a record or something. The worst is that it’s not even really summertime yet.

The neighborhoods that have gotten hit the worst with the crime wave have been the ones who got hit with the rioting and other neighborhoods that were generally pretty bad to begin with. The local gangbangers and such realize that the police are already pretty demoralized from the riots to begin (the rumor is that police are pretty much only responding to 911 calls at this point in Western District) so they can run rampant without any real consequences, the news is saying that when police do respond to calls they get swarmed by locals harassing them and interfering with their police work. From here in Northern District though I’m not aware of any intentional “slowdown”, though.

I guess you could say our neighborhood has seen a slight uptick in crime; a bicycle shop got burglarized of two bikes worth $10000 (don’t ask me what kind of bicycle costs five grand, I’m not a hipster) and about a week and a half ago there was an armed robbery a few blocks from my job. There was a guy named DC robbing people here left and right with a pellet gun with some white boy from the neighborhood until November when he robbed too many hipsters in one night and got locked up, not sure if he got out of jail or it’s some new asshole. There was also a stabbing but that was between two locals, so that’s unrelated to what’s been going on elsewhere. So I’m not sure if it’s as much an uptick in crime as residual paranoia from the riots, amongst old Hampden there’s talk of white flight again like there was back in the 90s, though I’m uncertain the rich hipsters would agree with that.

I’d be down with trying to get my way to WV for a CTT class, I’d be stupid to at least not try to make it if I’m being offered a golden ticket to the chocolate factory, though tbh I’m not sure if I’d be prepared for it – the closest I’ve come to shooting a real firearm is a projector screen thingy at Camp Fretterd with gas-powered replica M4s while I was in ROTC. (Though to my credit one of the SFCs asked me where I had learned to shoot since I was the best shot of our group of six.) During our FTX lanes we just had rubber duck M4s (or the M16A1 rubber duck if we ran out of M4s and I got lucky :-) ) running around the woods saying “bang bang” repeatedly. Haven’t been able to shoot my Mosin either, finding a range and then finding a range that will allow me to shoot corrosive milsurp ammo is an issue in and of itself.

Right now I’m trying to get my little Honda fixed, it overheats right now so I can’t really make it outside of the neighborhood, let alone another state. (Which is also part of the reason why I haven’t gotten to a range to test my Mosin.) At the very least I’d have to get it up and running for someone else in my family to use back and forth while I borrow a more reliable vehicle to WV, assuming of course they don’t get weirded out and think I’m becoming some right-wing terrorist or something. (I could tell them it’s to help me write my novel I’ll never be able to finish, which wouldn’t be untrue, I’ve had really bad writer’s block for far too long now anyway. :mail: ) I’d also need to figure out how much cheap training ammo costs, if I’d be getting free attendance for the course I don’t wanna mooch for ammo too if it’s not ridiculously pricy. :P

Anonymous
                                            Inactive

Also, kinda late, but here’s a video one of my nephews helped one of his college classmates make for a class project. The one police lieutenant who is speaking with the protesters is actually one of my old ROTC instructors. lol

Another point worth mentioning is that most of the white folks that were downtown were college students, white folks from the city were too scared of things devolving into a race riot that they stayed away. (Fortunately it didn’t.) Those of us from the city pretty much just stayed in our homes and tried to ride it through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psTJL5Q0MjY

Corvette
                                              Participant

Cheap Ammo is about 25 cents a round ( /- 2 cents)
                                                Nicer ammo is about 34 cents a round ( /- 2 cents)

Corvette
                                                Participant

Better get that car running.
                                                  next class is weekend after this one. :)

500 rds of economy ammo (a “half case”) are currently onsite waiting their lucky user. ;)
                                                  You’d need another 500 rds

Vidar
                                                  Participant

Nice write up on the situation. I myself was with a guard unit that was called up to respond to the riots. We were in the southern city and around city hall. We couldn’t get the rioters to even come across the street to us…however, me being up on over watch on a building, my team spotted two guys at different times that had bolos out on them who were carrying weapons. One being a handgun. We recieved many thanks from the local residents and businesses. The true residents and workers in the city seemed to feel truly safe with us and all the out of town police around. I hope you made it to that training class! :good:

Vidar
                                                    Participant

The governor came into town to visit and was escorted by 3 Air Force reserve mp’s who had m16’s with cosmoline on them still…the governor saw us in our airborne berets and some how got one of our 5 man teams to be added onto his escort. Pretty cool.

Corvette
                                                      Participant

Lots of ppl in your area on this site.. maybe you can meet some good folks..

Bergmann

Vidar
                                                        Participant

That would be nice. I love to train, both teaching and learning..

trailman
                                                          Participant

Location?

Vidar
                                                            Participant

Location?

Currently, just south of Baltimore. However, in a week I’ll be just west of Morgantown.

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.