Kurdish Raid on Turkish Combat Outpost

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Combat Media Kurdish Raid on Turkish Combat Outpost

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

This is a very good example. We have a Kurdish raid on a Turkish combat outpost. The video is below (it opens in a new tab).

Some analysis points:

We have camera 1. This appears to be the primary support by fire view. These Kurds are plastering the hillside with fire. Some is ineffective. You can see later in the video, tracer whipping over the top.

There appear to be three bunkers marked by blue tarps. They are in a linear, or slightly triangular, configuration along the crest of the hill or ridge. Those who have done the last two Force on Force training events, will recognize the similarity with the triangular bunker objective that we do the 3 team squad attack on. There are also a coupe of excavators or similar up there, most likely to help fortify the position / push the road up to the site.

Camera 2 appears to be at right angles to camera 1, to the right side of camera 1, and also appears to be the assault direction. This is a classic 90 degree deliberate attack / raid.

Camera 3 i briefly shown and it may be that it is opposite camera 1, which is a no-no, but as we have sown before, a feature of the region. They may be trying to suppress the position for both sides of the ridge,but as you can see with the overshoots, not a good idea. Let’s just ignore camera 3 for now! It is only shown briefly.

Note that the assaulters have to scale the hill for the direction of camera 2 of their subsequent assault. PT!

1:36: right side of the screen on the track you can see the assault group moving in. There appear to be 4 assaulters only on the position.

1:46: possibly a defender pulling back to the left from the assault team.

2:08: assault group going in on the bottom right bunker as they roll up the position from the right side, at right a angles to the camera 1 support by fire. They move through and blow each bunker in turn. This involves moving up and posting grenades / changes into each bunker. Support by fire! The bunkers must be suppressed to allow the assault team to do this.

2:48: assaulter moving up to the second bunker. Here you can see tracer whipping over the top. What is lacking in this assault is effective coordination of fires. Typically you will keep your fires 30 degrees in front of the assaulting teams. If you hold your arm out in front, spread your thumb and little finger, that will allow you to estimate the angel.If you have enemy point positions, you may have a designated marksman ‘firing in’ the assaulters for longer, till they are up on the bunker ready to post a grenade.

3:03: second bunker is blown. There is also activity up by the third (far left) bunker and it may also be Kurds on that one too. Yes, 3:30 that third bunker is blown.

4:00: they are now taking care of the second bunker again. The enemy is always alive when you get there!

4:19 you can see 4 assaulters moving off and down to the right. This is the exfil after the raid. It is a raid, so now that it is done, they need to GTFO of Dodge.

All in all, a successful raid pretty well carried out. Coordination and support fire angles aside.

Video:

LIVELEAK VIDEO HERE (opens in new tab)

Compare that to this video of the Raid at the Texas Class in 2016. You can see that pretty much the same thing is carried out in training.

Max
        Keymaster

Newly posted. can’t seem to properly embed the liveleak videos.

Max
          Keymaster

I’m surprised at the lack of response and Q&A to this type of tactical post. The intent of the MVT Forum is as a place for tactical discussion and learning. This is not a ‘prepper’ forum, although we have sections for that to balance it out.

As usual, most seem to default to basic gear questions. My intent is to have the MVT forum reach higher than that. I also noticed not a huge response to the promised learning posts on Intel by Joe.

I would ask you to reexamine your priorities and reasons for being members here. Basic gear questions are fine, and necessary. The MVT Forum has so much more potential if you would only do the work and ask. The problem with the internet is that most guys do not get beyond gear and ‘builds.’ If you are serious about being dangerous to your enemies, if you have invested in training, then jump in here and initiate learning.

:good:

Corvette
            Participant

I have to admit that when I watch the first video , I cannot tell what is happening. I cannot “read” the battle like you can. When I watch the Texas video, I can make out most of what is happening, and it’s kind of cool to be able to understand it.

As an exercise in learning how to read a battle, I am going to attempt to break down the Texas video like Max did for the first video. If I practice on the easy to follow training videos, hopefully I will be able to read the actual videos, and then participate in these actual combat video discussions.

Max
              Keymaster

Does the description and time references not help?

Corvette
                Participant

Yes, absolutly
                  But without your description and time references I woudnt be able to follow it at all.

Corvette
                  Participant

Texas 2016 Combat Patrol Raid

Team Alpha on the flank
                    Team Bravo is firing at the 3 bunkers

Team Alpha is in File moving towards the Enemy. They break out into Line (disregard the instructor in the middle) to wait.
                    Bravo to starts suppressing fire.
                    Alpha waits.
                    At this time the Enemy may beleive they are in a gunfight and are holding them off or winning since Bravo is not advancing any.
                    Alpha moves forward on line.
                    Alpha begins to engage enemy.
                    Enemy may now realize they are being flanked and really begin to fight hard.
                    Bravo is keeping up suppressing fire, communicating stoppages to maintain steady rate of fire. If Alpha is having trouble gaining ground they could apply Stream fire to help.
                    There can be no movement without fire.
                    As Alpha gets closer to the first enemy position, they begin to bound forward by buddy pairs.
                    Bravo can see Alpha, so they shift fire to their right as Alpha moves in. If they could not see Alpha, they would have to have some other method to communicate the shift fire.
                    Alpha continues to do buddy pair bounds, nice short bounds.
                    Bravo continues to shift fire as Alpha bounds through the enemy in buddy pairs.
                    Bravo calls cease fire as Alpha moves through the last enemy position.
                    Alpha wrapps up last enemy position and then quickly evacuates the enemy position the way they came in.

tango
                    Participant

Honestly, it looked cut and dry to me so didn’t think there was much to add with comments. Looked professional. Bravo Kurds.

It is valuable to see well executed examples.

hellokitty
                      Participant

I would have liked to have had 3 two man teams instead of just the two. 1st team is assaulting bunker, 2nd team is fire support onto bunker, 3rd team is flank security on other bunkers. Can cycle tasks accordingly using 3 teams.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                        HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                        FOF X3
                        OPFOR X2
                        CLC X2
                        RIFLEMAN

Corvette
                        Participant

Why did they hit the bunkers and then fall back? We cant tell if they were able to shoot any (enemy) who might have fallen back from the position, but I would have wanted to sweep and clear the OBJ, hold the position and bring up my support team, or hold the line and prepare for a counter attack etc. Perhaps they did not have enough troops to carry this out.
                          Thoughts?

Corvette
                          Participant

Damnit, just saw the raid comment after rereading the post.
                            Disregard my question.

hellokitty
                            Participant

Max
                              I have a question. Is there a training lane that could be developed to train the designated marksman to “fire in” the assaulting team onto obj to post grenade. I remember you discussing this when I took first CTT when we assaulted bunkers. I can see the value in training for this.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                              HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                              FOF X3
                              OPFOR X2
                              CLC X2
                              RIFLEMAN

Max
                              Keymaster

To do it within range safety, you would need two bunkers 30 degrees apart. DM fires into the open front of one bunker, while the grenadier team approaches the other bunker from the outside 90 degree angle, if that makes sense. The DM has a team leader, who would be controlling the support by fire, who in this case is a safety, who is watching the assault team as the DM suppresses with steady accurate fire into the bunker. As the grenadier is prepping his grenade to post by the bunker, then moves towards the bunker openeing, the DM ceases fire, to allow him to post the grenade through he opening. This happens on two mirror bunkers, that in reality would be the same bunker.

hellokitty
                                Participant

Thanks Max, I am tracking. We could do the same lane using UTM and the 2 buildings at the CQB site for bunkers. Post smoke grenades in the windows. :yahoo:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                  HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                  FOF X3
                                  OPFOR X2
                                  CLC X2
                                  RIFLEMAN

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.