Lights Out – Book Review

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Lights Out – Book Review

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnyMac
      Participant

It must be Wednesday so here is a book review on Lights Out by David Crawford. I just finished Lights Out for the second time and on a JohnyMac rating scale of 1-5, with 5 being perfect; I would rate the book a solid 4.

The book was originally distributed in 2005 through Frugal Squirrel as an e-book and was given to me as a present from a friend in 2010. I purchased a hard copy when it came available on Amazon and have loaned the hard copy to many likeminded friends over the past several years. I have not read the hard copy yet as it is always out on loan however I have been told that the grammar and spelling errors have been cleaned up from the earlier e-book version.

The story line is not unlike William R. Forstchen’s One Second After or Jonathan Hollerman’s EMP: Equipping Modern Patriots; where an EMP throws the United States into the dark ages. The main character Mark Turner, acts first as a problem solver, than community organizer and finally as a respected leader within his AO.

The book has been put into screenplay and there are a group of folks trying to scrape up the money to make and then release the movie. If you would like to check out their progress go to FaceBook.

During the second reading, I learned some things that were missed from the first reading and I still kept turning pages way into the wee hours of the night. For the most part, the story was realistic.

If you are looking for a book of this genera, add it to your buy list for those lazy days of summer. You will be glad you did.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

An excellent book, must read if into the fiction survival genre.

Corvette
          Participant

Thanks for the review!

Brian from Georgia
            Participant

A good read indeed.

Mike H
              Participant

Read this book a couple of years ago…good read…need to read again.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The book has been put into screenplay and there are a group of folks trying to scrape up the money to make and then release the movie.

Short film version to raise awareness in funding.

JohnyMac
                  Participant

Just a word of caution…That video short they did was OFFAL! I sent a email to Crawford telling him so.

He wrote back to me explaining they only did it to “prime the pump” to encourage people to throw in some money to the movie. He agreed it was amateurish and in hindsight, based on the amount of negative feedback from fans like me; he shouldn’t have done it.

A new 50 sec trailer is out which can be seen on their FB site. The trailer is pretty good.

Former Sapper
                    Participant

In a similar vain to this story line check out “when the walls came tumbling down” by “maine prepper”

JohnyMac
                      Participant

Former Sapper, Mmmmmm…That is an interesting way to market a novel. I think this book came out late ’12 or early ’13.

I will drop MP a email asking how his book is working out (Sales).

Former Sapper
                        Participant

It’s a good story and the free narrated version is indeed a very good way to market a book. I listened to it to it all before purchasing. I’ve just purchased Lights Out for my Kindle based on your recommendation, I’ll get at it this weekend.

Max
                          Keymaster

My searchfu is weak. How bout a link to this other video please.

JohnyMac
                            Participant

Here you go gsb.
                              The Walls Came Tumbling Down

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.