Lawmakers Want Army to Re-Dye Old Camouflage Uniforms With New Pattern

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Uniforms, Clothing and Footgear Lawmakers Want Army to Re-Dye Old Camouflage Uniforms With New Pattern

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

:unsure:

Lawmakers Want Army to Re-Dye Old Camouflage Uniforms With New Pattern

Excerpt:

Lawmakers want the Army to finalize a plan to dye its pixelated Universal Camouflage Patterned uniforms and equipment to blend with the service’s new Operational Camouflage Pattern.

The House Armed Services Committee’s subcommittee on readiness released its markup today for the proposed fiscal 2019 National Defense Authorization Act. The document expresses interest in technologies that would allow the Army to re-dye existing universal camouflage uniforms and equipment, with a particular focus on its never-popular, now-obsolete UCP camo.

Krylon and a stencil kit?

I shouldn’t be so skeptical, but I suspect even more money to be wasted on what has already been a major boondoggle.

Not to mention delaying my source of $10 surplus dirty work uniforms. ;-)

Roadkill
        Participant

I just did my motorcycle,maybe I could get the contract on BDUs.

Roadkill
          Participant

Crap. Maybe this one.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Seems like the Army is going to spend as much money trying to figure out how to use Rit dye as they did designing the ACUs they’re using it on, nevermind they spent $17 million on those uniforms and threw out the test results… B-)

A_A_Ron2guns
              Participant

Idiocy. We’re in the middle of finalizing new plate carriers, armor, helmets and other gear. Just order it in the new scorpion pattern and phase things out. It’ll end up costing more to dye it than it would be worth.

First Sergeant

I remember that being talked about when we went with OCP.

Somebody had the brains to say that it would be cost prohibitive. Now they want to do it.

What a bunch of dumbasses.

FILO
                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Wouldn’t be surprised if the holdup was more about who will get the contract and how much can they screw the taxpayers out of this time rather than any difficulty with dyeing gear.

Roadkill
                    Participant

When you’re riding in convoys does it really matter what your camo pattern is? If your in the bush, or other terrain that’s different.

wheelsee
                      Participant

When you’re riding in convoys does it really matter what your camo pattern is? If your in the bush, or other terrain that’s different.

Reminds me of the debate on the color of fire engines (apparatus) in the 80s……white, red, lime green, etc. The best response (in Firehouse magazine) was by an old Fire Captain (Baltimore?? can’t remember now) was – “If you can’t see 28 flashing red lights, the color of the engine ain’t gonna matter” (regarding safety)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I dyed a set of these woodland green as a experiment several years back. The result was similar in appearance to the Desert Storm era night camo below.

Basically made them more tolerable for yard work for me. ;-)

I did use a set as a base for a ghillie, but used spray paint to dirty up visible portion.

I can’t imagine a process that would be acceptable for uniform appearance.

How many millions will it take for them to figure it out.

First Sergeant

Now just imagine what pouches, plate carriers etc. will look like when they try to dye them.

FILO
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Abacus
                            Participant

This was actually a COA big army looked at back when the first started transitioning to OCP a few years back. Specifically it wanted to know if it could just add poo colored splotches to UCP and make something better than UCP and comparable ro multicam.l (not really). Then they wanted to try dying UCP web gear since there is still a lot of TA-50 in gravelpat laying around. Both studies, and a few more, were completed years ago. The proposals were reportedly soundly rejected as bad ideas. You can technically do both, but it looks like teash.

I can’t talk to how much we spent on the effort, but in my professional opinion, a test like that is not complex. It can be done on the cheap if you try hard enough. It could be done for under 1 million pretty easily.

My take is some congressional staffer either just now saw the SSD post about how the Army was looking into it years ago or they saw some “preppers” doing it on YouTube. They then put a bug in their bosses ear. That or it’s a case of the all powerful dye, salt, and vinigar lobbies.

Regardless, somebody really needs to send them the link to the study the Army did. Or, better yet, send them the follow up articles on the web that reference said study. Or the TL;DR version encapsulated here: “While you can dye UCP gear, it does not work very well and is therefore a bad idea.”

First Sergeant

This was actually a COA big army looked at back when the first started transitioning to OCP a few years back. Specifically it wanted to know if it could just add poo colored splotches to UCP and make something better than UCP and comparable ro multicam.l (not really). Then they wanted to try dying UCP web gear since there is still a lot of TA-50 in gravelpat laying around. Both studies, and a few more, were completed years ago. The proposals were reportedly soundly rejected as bad ideas. You can technically do both, but it looks like teash.

I can’t talk to how much we spent on the effort, but in my professional opinion, a test like that is not complex. It can be done on the cheap if you try hard enough. It could be done for under 1 million pretty easily.

My take is some congressional staffer either just now saw the SSD post about how the Army was looking into it years ago or they saw some “preppers” doing it on YouTube. They then put a bug in their bosses ear. That or it’s a case of the all powerful dye, salt, and vinigar lobbies.

Regardless, somebody really needs to send them the link to the study the Army did. Or, better yet, send them the follow up articles on the web that reference said study. Or the TL;DR version encapsulated here: “While you can dye UCP gear, it does not work very well and is therefore a bad idea.”

That’s what I remember reading about when all this first came out.

Were you involved with the test?

FILO
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Abacus
                                Participant

I was not involved in that test. But, I am am a test guy and a gear/equipment nerd so I paid a lot of attention to the cammo cluster saga. I am still waiting for the DoD to unscrew that particular pooch.

First Sergeant

I was not involved in that test. But, I am am a test guy and a gear/equipment nerd so I paid a lot of attention to the cammo cluster saga. I am still waiting for the DoD to unscrew that particular pooch.

Roger.

As to your last sentence, ain’t we all.

FILO
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Abacus
                                    Participant

Well, we all got an email from the CSAF this morning about switching to OCPs. I won’t post that, but SSD has the folowing coverage CSAF Announces Transition To Operational Camouflage Pattern For US Air Force. SSD’s stuff seems to be pretty close to the official version posted on the CAC required site called myPers.

It figures though, I just picked up my new super nerd badges for the old uniform last week, and my new green boots are less than 4 months old.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.