Keepers Concealment Holsters

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 345 times
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I got the tip from Dave in OK when down there on the class. Confession is I was struggling with concealed carry after moving from 3-4 carry to appendix. 3-4 always more comfortable but I feel appendix is better concealed. I had a shitty t-rex arms holster that combined handgun and mag and it was a piece of crap. I had even taken to wearing a Ruger LCP due to tiny size and convenience.

I just purchased the Glock 19/23 AIWB from Keepers Concealment. I had asked for a Glock 26 holster, which was not on the site, and they came back and told me no, it would roll out of my waistband because it would be too short. Bingo moment! And in my opinion showed me the worth of this company.

I am sitting here wearing it. It comes with a couple of pieces of foam that attach to velcro that you can position at the bottom of the holster against your body. All good so far!

I am also experimenting with spare mag in pocket. I am trying out a neo mag holder that is magnetic and looks like a knife clipped to your pocket. So my pockets have spare mag left, knife and flashlight clipped right. I’ll see how that plays out – no doubt badly! But it keeps me from pouches on my belt and is easy to dump in the car if you have to go in anywhere you can’t carry, even doctors appointments etc. That is something to consider.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Finding the right holster for your body type, method of carry, and lifestyle is always difficult. In the process you can easily end up with a box of holsters that don’t work for you.

Glad you found a better option!

dave37
          Participant

I have been running one of these holsters since 2013, mostly carrying full-size Glocks. I routinely use it in gun grappling/weapon retention type scenarios. It is the gold standard of AIWB holsters. For those familiar with Southnarc aka Craig Douglas of Shivworks, the Keeper holster was developed in response to his training, and with his full assistance and approval. (He’s the one who gave it the name “Keeper” actually)

If you are looking at AIWB, this is the holster to get.

HEAT 1 2017
            Intro to CQB 2017
            Texas HEAT 2 2018
            Operation TeaSinker 2019
            Combat Leader Course 2019
            Team Coyote
            Team Rekkr
            Team Cowbell

Max
            Keymaster

24 hours later and this thing is great. Sitting here wearing it while typing.

Here is a question: wearing AIWB while driving – not regarding the access issues with cover garment, which you can easily get around, but is there an issue with injury with the gun / holster sitting in front under the lower portion of the seatbelt? It’s something I was thinking about. Having the whole thing slammed into your gut if you crash. It’s not something I worried about when carrying on hip. Is there a school of thought on this? Medical professional input?

T
              Participant

Wondered about this also. Have seen pictures of nasty seat belt burns from collisions. IMO it would be akin to getting slammed on your back while carrying at 6 o/clock.

Roadkill
                Participant

In the same vein as seated in a car; I can reholster at the 3/4 position. I would be hesitant to reholster appendix when I’m muzzling my femoral artery. I guess even drawing while seated carrying appendix gives me the heeby jeebies. I’ll stick with 3o’clock.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Roadkill.
                    Max
                    Keymaster

In the same vein as seated in a car; I can reholster at the 3/4 position. I would be hesitant to reholster appendix when I’m muzzling my femoral artery. I guess even drawing while seated carrying appendix gives me the heeby jeebies. I’ll stick with 3o’clock.

Not that this was the question raised. I’m not sure that is totally relevant, it just sounds to me a little like the usual prejudice against AIWB “I’m pointing it at my dick / femoral” etc. I was interested in potential for injury in a crash while carrying AIWB under the seatbelt. In terms of reholstering with AIWB, who knows – why did you get it out and what is the tactical situation – is it even relevant at that point? In terms of putting on and dumping AIWB in the car, you just slip the whole holster in / out while holstered. So unless you have a reason to actually draw in your car, it’s not a safety issue. For reholstering normally, you just need to ensure your cover garment is out of the way and have eyes on as you slip the handgun into the holster.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Is there a school of thought on this?

Many years ago I was in a accident where I was doing about 65 mph and the impact stopped my vehicle in about 10 feet, so a serious impact. Older vehicle with just a lap belt. I had contusions on my intestines, but no visible bruising on abdomen. A shoulder restraint and airbag would greatly spread out impact over a greater area. So in my opinion the force required for AIWB to have a negative influence would mean you have bigger problems than your carry piece location.

Anecdotal for sure, but I think it provides insight.

IMO it would be akin to getting slammed on your back while carrying at 6 o/clock.

The difference IMHO is spine vs tissue.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

To be clear I had many other injuries, but not related to this discussion. The contusions to my intestines were not limited to the area of my AIWB carry but entire area covered by seatbelt.

JohnnyMac
                        Participant

I am also experimenting with spare mag in pocket

Blue force gear ten speed is what I’ve found the easiest way to carry a mag on the belt, owb.

Civilianresponder
                            Participant

I use these also. Works great for carrying a couple spare mags. :good:

Mike
                            Participant

Whats your reason for switching from 3 to appendix?

Andrew
                              Participant

It is only semi relevant, but in winter especially, but even in the summer, I found that when driving there are often times when a cross draw holster at about 10 o’clock is much easier to access than anything on the Right side where the seat belt buckle is. It was easy to conceal a full size H&K USP.45 cross draw. Just saying.

Max
                                Keymaster

This holster is awesome! Loving it.

:good:

Viewing 11 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.