IR Lasers Holding Zero

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations IR Lasers Holding Zero

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

[edited to remove link]

I’m in the process of saving up for night vision and was watching a video in which an instructor derided the dbal d2, and generally mentioned that it’s common to see lasers lose zero.

Has anyone struggled with loss of zero on their laser?
        Any opinions on the OTAL-C?

First Sergeant

I have never had an issue with loss of zero on IR lasers. While deployed we routinely checked zeros on all lasers and optics. Especially before a scheduled night mission.

Checking the zero of an IR laser is easy to do at home, once it has been zeroed on the range with live fire.

One of the problems with loss of zero is people like to constantly screw around with their gear. They want to take it off and put it back on their rifle. I have heard of some guys that don’t keep their lasers on their rifles, they only put them on when they plan on doing some shooting at night. Which is stupid.

Most of the lasers made today have good solid mounts on them or you can buy aftermarket mounts(Larue Tactical).

I have the DBAL. You can’t go wrong with Steiner.

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ditto First Sergeant’s reply.

In the video, the problem with zero was operator error combined with instructor error.

When you get all this “cool guy” gear you need to learn it inside and out. Don’t just slap on all this crap and do the minimum to get it running.

Make sure you decide what you expect from your gear, so you get what you need vice what you think you need.

Avoid over complication, which can be directly related to the number of YouTube videos you watch.

JohnnyMac
            Participant

Thanks guys!

Robert
              Participant

1. Mount it solid and don’t take it off.
                2. Mount the pressure pad aka “tape switch” on a spot where preferably it’s not on the receiver or some spot that will get hot as hell with a lot of firing. The glue on the velcro will weaken and loosen and you’ll be replacing velcro. Not a big deal but I’ve had to do it 3-4 times a year now for a while till I stopped being lazy and moved the pressure pad forward to the plastic on the lower hand guard.

Have only seen 1 or 2 real issues with any of the Steiner or LDI (Steiner bought Laser Devices a few years back) IR lasers.

Roadkill
                Participant

Instead of the Velcro that comes with the pressure switch I used some without and pre glue on it. I then use contact cement on the spot on my rail and the Velcro strip. Once dry, put Velcro in place and its super solid good to go. No more frustration with a weak bond.

lucky_luke
                  Participant

I know that John Lovell from telluric group has said that the zero does shift but if it does ive never really noticed it in my issued laser. I will refer to his expertise though as he works with telluric group and is definately the SME on night vision.

First Sergeant

Zero’s can shift. Change in temperature, altitude, constantly taking the laser on and off of the rifle or repeatedly hitting it hard enough.

The problem with the video was operator and instructor induced.

FILO
                      Signal Out, Can You Identify
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.