In-Ear Electronic Ear Pro

View Latest Activity

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Anyone got an actionable info on this? Price, batteries etc?

Would love to have something I could put in and forget for a day on the ranges, and dare I say it, tactical operations.

My first battle buddy Eric from TN from crcd/cp in August 2014 sells these for a living….wonder if he is still on the forum? U out there eric?

Max
        Keymaster

Hope he wasn’t one of the alumni who got all upset about the $25 per year fee to keep this forum running (and the riff raff out)…..

Corvette
          Participant

Eric is in my group, I’ll shoot him a message.

Max
            Keymaster

Is he on the forum?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Would love to have something I could put in and forget for a day on the ranges, and dare I say it, tactical operations.

Let us know what you find, no experience with mid priced ones. Impressed with some of the expensive ones, but $1400 and up is too rich for me at this point.

Corvette
                Participant

Is he on the forum?

Yes, username is Easy. Hasn’t been on in quite a while. I sent him a text that you are interested in his products.

Polynikes
                  Participant

Max,
                    I’ve used the Peltor TEP-100 electronic ear plugs during several courses at MVT and love them. I put them on in the morning, leave them on all day and I forget they’re on until the day is over. A quick 20-minute charge at the end of the day via USB or using batteries on the charger in the field and you’re back in business.

They are definitely pricey ($200 ) but you get what you pay for. I did a lot of research on several units before settling on them and I have not regretted my purchase.

Just my $.02.
                    George

Max
                    Keymaster

The Peltor TEP-100 look great. $300 though, so simply can’t afford. Wondering if Eric will pop up with something.

Sam Brady
                      Participant

Max,
                        FWIW, I have to use hearing aids….age plus Vietnam equals bad hearing…I did some extensive research thru a very qualified Doctor that helped me select the hearing aids I currently use.
                        He could not recommend any of the in ear protection. He advised Peltor or Sordins…he does not sell these items.
                        I would urge anyone who contemplates doing a lot of training is to invest in the best protection they can afford. In the long run its cheaper than high quality hearing aids. Mine cost about $5000.00 and they are not the very best aids available!

Max
                        Keymaster

@Sam: interesting. Why? I do enjoy my Howard Leight’s. I did notice here in Texas last couple of times on the night fire range, they did not fit that well over the nightcap I wear, and I got some loud gunfire noise. Also, they don’t really do that well under a helmet. You can spend on helmet attached ear pro, but we don’t get that issued here at MVT!

I was thinking that in-ear would be an elegant solution that would take care of all of that.

Why does he not recommend?

And where is Eric?

wheelsee
                          Participant

Our hearing is based on 2 methods – air conduction and bone conduction.

Air conduction is what everyone thinks of when they think of hearing and is directly from movement on the ear-drum.

Bone conduction is through the surrounding bone thereby bypassing the ear-drum. Close off your ears and speak, that sound you hear is through the bone.

In-ear protection (the ear plugs) ONLY block air conduction.

Muffs (or any over-the-ear) block both air and bone conduction (the degree is based on the size of the muffs).

If you’ve heard the term “double-protect”, its accomplished by wearing both ear plugs and muffs. Most commonly used on indoor ranges but may be a solution for what Max describes. The plugs block air-conduction and the electronic muffs help block air- and bone-conduction but amplify voice for feedback.

hellokitty
                            Participant

Max
                              I bought a set of in ear electronic plugs from Eric a few years ago. I don’t use them for 2 reasons. 1) they don’t reduce noise like ear muffs. I got a lot of load gunfire bleed thru and My hearing is not great as it is. 2) the tiny batteries are a pain to change out and they last for 8 hrs or so.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                              HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                              FOF X3
                              OPFOR X2
                              CLC X2
                              RIFLEMAN

Weber
                              Participant

Max
                                I bought a set of in ear electronic plugs from Eric a few years ago. I don’t use them for 2 reasons. 1) they don’t reduce noise like ear muffs. I got a lot of load gunfire bleed thru and My hearing is not great as it is. 2) the tiny batteries are a pain to change out and they last for 8 hrs or so.

Agree with you here. I bought a pair a while back and I was not impressed with the noise reduction, the batteries are a pain to change, and the ear buds don’t stay very securely in my ears.

diomedes
                                Participant

Max,
                                  I use etymotic
                                  http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/gsp15.html
                                  Have used them at all your courses Ive attended. Pricey but the work great

Max ..at the risk of getting off track….regarding fitment of the ear pads/cups…I have also found that the howard leight’s ear cups sometimes don’t fit snuggly enough and can get gaps that let noise in. A comparable type are the walker razor’s that I have switched to that have a better ear cup padding and overall better fit even on my kids. 42.99 at midway.

I have also had good luck with peltor tactical 6s with peltor gel sealing rings for use with a helmet or stand alone. the gel cups are awesome…super fit and comfortable. No gaps even with glasses

JohnnyMac
                                  Participant

I’m in the minority, but the Howard leight impact sports straight up didn’t seal on my ears, like at all, no matter how I tried adjusting them. I switched to Howard leight impact pro muffs and they’ve been awesome. With an NRR of 30 they provide great protection. The only downside is they aren’t lowpro. Hasn’t affected me though in use.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Now Max can correct this as needed, but what is required to protect a Instructor who is somewhat offset from the noise as he observes students and what is needed for a student may not be the same requirement.

This also carries over to actual operations. What is acceptable protection while maintaining situational awareness, when the alternative maybe no protection or protection that adversely affects awareness.

This is a consideration we all most examine.

The only “in ear” electronic protection I have been exposed to was very high end, with custom formed inserts that were waterproof (most aren’t) and truly sounded normal when not blocking damaging noise. The ones I was able to briefly try out were with generic fitting ear inserts (temporary for the test drive) were $3,800!

These were very impressive, but they start at $1400.

There maybe acceptable midrange options as I am not a expert in these, just passing along my limited experience.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Some hearing aid vendors deal with these devices. So it may be worth checking your local area.

Sam Brady
                                        Participant

Max
                                          Sorry for the late reply. The doctor’s position is that some of the commercially available ear protectors dont “seal” well enough to provide the best protection. His “ideal” protection is custom made in ear plugs, covered by good sealing ear cups…the problem with this set up is that I cannot hear anything! So while it provides excellent hearing protection, I cannot hear safety instructions, tactical commands.
                                          I have also noticed that certain eye protection defeats the seal around the ears.
                                          I am satisfied with Peltors and Sordins…yes they cost a dime or two more, but I dont have much left to lose!

Max
                                          Keymaster

Based on what I have read here, I decide to pull the trigger and make an expensive purchase. I do spend a lot of time exposed to gunfire and the Howard Leights, although they have been great, do not really cut it over the long term. Great for a class, mind you. I wasn’t happy with the sound coming around the cups on the night fire range.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X – Premium Edition – Electronic Earmuff with black leather band, green cups and gel seals fitted

I did consider the neck band version, but I don;t actually like that setup, and most of my use is over a ball cap or over a nightcap.

I would like a solution for helmet use, but I may investigate options for helmet mounted ear pro- be good if I could remove the MSA Sordins from the headband and attach to the helmet. Any experience specifically with that?

Max
                                            Keymaster

Especially with James the Doc on the right right whi decided to pull his M1A/M14 monstrosity out for Night Fire, on the right side, blasting my ear. Of course, it soon stopped running and he gave up on the class, which was a relief.

Get a fucking AR.

I just heard from two alumni / cops who were lit up by a dude in body armor carrying an AK and 100 round drum. Took out a cruiser. AK guy is kia. Returned fire with ARs. Waiting to hear more. Glad they are alive. Meth head in second floor window.

Like I told you, onky bad guys and terrorists use AKs! Make America Great Again, get an AR!

Max
                                              Keymaster

Thinking of you Robert. I know you will make it right. Check the ammo restrictions for GA!

Virgil Kane
                                                Participant

Sam Brady, The VA should be buying those for you. My Dad, VN 1970, just got a new set of aids with bluetooth and TV adapter. He avoided the VA until a few years ago, when his buddies convinced him to go.

Robert
                                                  Participant

Thinking of you Robert. I know you will make it right. Check the ammo restrictions for GA!

thinking of me as in the AK blasting 100 rounds or thinking of me as in check the draft paperwork you sent me for GA class?

Sam Brady
                                                    Participant

Virgil,
                                                      I have hearing loss associated with both military and civil service. The pay for a portion of the cost. Thanks for the advice

Max
                                                      Keymaster

As in check that AK ammo is compliant with ammo rules. We have one guy here shooting AK ammo through an AR, but it is ball ammo. So it is fine.

Robert
                                                        Participant

JHP 7.62×39 doesn’t seem to affect my steels.

Here’s the steels I’ve been using here-

Can’t paste anymore?
                                                          http://www.arntzentargets.com under product list. Looks like they are 3/8th

Max
                                                          Keymaster

Aaaaand its a long day, and patrol tonight…

@Robert: that doesn’t really helo me, because I have no idea whether your ammo complies or not, which is my only concern. The restrictions are for my steel used in my way. So i just want you to ensure your rounds comply with the stated restrictions. That is all.

Polynikes
                                                            Participant

Based on what I have read here, I decide to pull the trigger and make an expensive purchase. I do spend a lot of time exposed to gunfire and the Howard Leights, although they have been great, do not really cut it over the long term. Great for a class, mind you. I wasn’t happy with the sound coming around the cups on the night fire range.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X – Premium Edition – Electronic Earmuff with black leather band, green cups and gel seals fitted

I did consider the neck band version, but I don;t actually like that setup, and most of my use is over a ball cap or over a nightcap.

I would like a solution for helmet use, but I may investigate options for helmet mounted ear pro- be good if I could remove the MSA Sordins from the headband and attach to the helmet. Any experience specifically with that?

Max,
                                                              I’ve been doing a lot of research on the topic, and the MSA Sordins don’t seem to be holding up very well despite their high price tag. You should definitely take a look at the Peltor Comtac models (which I’ve owned for years and they worked great) but more importantly, the TCI Liberator. I’m taking a very hard look at those and will probably end up pulling the trigger on a pair soon.

There are helmet rail mounting options for all of the above BTW (including QD ones).

Max
                                                              Keymaster

Lol. Just double / triple the price on me!

wheelsee
                                                                Participant

I did find these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJVCSNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in camp. I asked the forum what the difference was between these and the green ones – besides color and $100. Answer – SAME, except color and $100 :wacko: . This puts them same price as over-the-head. I’ve used these (behind the neck) in the past and liked them but have not tried with all the movement at CTT. We’ll see…..

First Sergeant

Somebody you know offered you a set of brand new Peltor Comtac’s not to long ago. At a damn good price.

FILO
                                                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Max
                                                                    Keymaster

Somebody you know is busier than a dog with 2 dicks.

When I get a:

Personal assistant
                                                                      Secretary
                                                                      Social media coordinator
                                                                      Video editor
                                                                      Artwork specialist
                                                                      Target pit digger
                                                                      Coffee bitch
                                                                      Etc.

Then I will be less busy, and be able to remember things.

I would say CQB hut builder, but some minions already apparently went and built those, in my absence. The WV forest elves are remarkable.

Max
                                                                      Keymaster

Where am I now? Playing NT14 OPFOR at a deserted building at a ranch in central Texas.

Max
                                                                        Keymaster

Doing my vehicle patrol round the objective house. It’s a spooky one!

• #109254
                                                                          Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                          Moderator

That pic looks right out of “B” grade horror movie, all you need is some intense build up the tension music.

• #109255
                                                                            Max
                                                                            Keymaster

That’s what I thought. Fuckin thanks! I’ve been on foot patrol. At least the callsign doing the CTR have buddies to cuddle with. Now I’m fuggin terrified!

• #109256
                                                                              Max
                                                                              Keymaster

Oh, and what made it worse, was that foe some NT14 atmospherics, I looked up some horrific recordings of women hysterically crying and screaming, and played it several times through the bluetooth at full volume, windows down. Rape house.

Fucking hideous. It was so distressing I had to leave the truck and walk off!

• #109257
                                                                                Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                Moderator

Try not to shoot any students. ;-)

• #109258
                                                                                  Max
                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                  • #109259
                                                                                    Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                    Moderator

Maybe you need to worry about a student shooting you?

• #109260
                                                                                      Max
                                                                                      Keymaster

Thanks Joe. Only made it halfway through that one.

I’ll probably find the students strung in the trees in the morning. The house smells of death. This ranch is lovely and a wonderful ssfe and inviting place. All except this one house/compound. If my wife was here, she would be telling me all about it. I will be asking Truish in the morning what the deal was here.

• #109261
                                                                                        Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                        Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frynPnsSAwE

Here’s a SERE favorite, has proven very effective in interrogation prep.

Know it drove me nuts. :yes:

• #109262
                                                                                          Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                          Moderator

I will be asking Truish in the morning what the deal was here.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• #109263
                                                                                            Max
                                                                                            Keymaster

Coyotes. Can’t shoot em for fear of blue on blue with students. Shame.

• #109264
                                                                                              trailman
                                                                                              Participant

This was it:

<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/8QpldDrUu98?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” height=”428″ frameborder=”0″ width=”570″></iframe>

That’s f’ing disturbing.

• #109265
                                                                                                wheelsee
                                                                                                Participant

Sounds like those I’ve had to tell their lived one didn’t make it…..different cultures give different responses – some are quiet, others cry, still others wail and gnash and pull their hair out…..

• #109266
                                                                                                  Max
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Seems the students all made it, covered on cow shit and stuck with cactus.

• #109267
                                                                                                    vektor40
                                                                                                    Participant

I also prefer an AK Max.

I have an AR too-brought it to the last class but had problems. The AR is a good platform. I am using it more and hope to become proficient in running it.

At this point in time, I am with Robert. Just a preference.

• #109268
                                                                                                      Roadkill
                                                                                                      Participant

First off, sorry I couldn’t find Max’s post to respond. (Edit: Moved to the thread – G.W.N.S.) I went to an ear doctor and she did an ear mold for me. She installed a baffle, non electric that blocks high decibel sound, and yet allows conversation. I would say they are not as good as the high end electronics, but they only cost a little over a hundred bucks. They are comfortable for long periods. I’ll attach a pic.

• #109269
                                                                                                        tango
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                        • #109270
                                                                                                          First Sergeant
                                                                                                          Moderator

Have Surefire sonic defenders not been mentioned?
                                                                                                            http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html
                                                                                                            http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

I have used those in the past and have had the same issues as others. I also have some custom made in ear plugs. They weren’t cheap. I haven’t used them in a couple of years for the same reasons.

FILO
                                                                                                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                                                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                                                                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 52 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.