IFAK/ Blowout

View Latest Activity

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Themagicbusguy
      Participant

I could use some direction in putting together my IFAK/Blowout bags.
        I intent to take the TC3 as part of my next training evolution, but in the mean time I would appreciate knowing what you carry and where you got it.
        Thanks in advance.

D Close

I carry H and H bandages, a nasopharyngeal airway with lube, shears, hemostat, tape, gauze, sharpie marker, gloves. No tourniquet in the kit, but 2 on my gear/rifle.

DuaneH
          Participant

Tourniquet CAT-T preferred x2. One in kit, one on you.
            Nasopharyngeal Airway 28-30 FR (preferred if your team knows how to insert them)
            OR Oropharyngeal airway if they don’t
            H&H compressed gauze x 2
            Israeli Bandage or the like
            14 ga 3.5 inch decompression needle
            Petrolatum gauze 4×4-ish.
            Gloves.
            Roll of waterproof tape or Duct tape.
            The above is the min that I recommend. Below are nice add ons if they fit.
            Official chest seal. The petrolatum gauze works, but a chest seal works better at 20 times the cost.
            Trauma shears
            Quick-clot. ( I don’t even carry that)
            Hemostats. (Yes I do)
            Most important is training and knowing how to use them. Especially your team members because this will be used on you. You may say: “I don’t need a decompression needle because my team doesn’t know how to use one.” Ok, I got it. BUT you may be working with people who do in the future..
            You also need to know where everyone’s IFAK is on their team. That way if it is dark and the bullets are flying, they don’t have to search.
            Chinook Medical for supplies

Max
            Keymaster

North American rescue, the makers of the CAT, have a great website with lots of instructional material on how to use their products with videos. That is also where I order my supplies from.

RRS
              Participant

Well today I put the Quikclot to use. Cutting some sweet potatoes I whacked the top of my index finger pretty good. Probably in stitches territory, so instead of ruining T-day I instructed the fireteam gals to go up to my LBE and find the Z-fold QC. From there we staunched the bleeding in a calm proficient military like manner.

So IMO I wouldn’t leave home without QC.

12aklabs
                Participant

I carry Dark Angle kit that is no larger then 2 PMAGS stacked on top of each other. It has:
                  Pouch
                  CAT
                  7.5″ Color Matched Shears
                  Insert contains:
                  1x 1 pair HALO Seals
                  1x Nasal Airway
                  1x 1 pair Nitrile gloves Size L
                  1x QuikClot Mil-Spec Combat Gauze-12′
                  1x Compressed Gauze-12′
                  1x 4″ Emergency Bandage (aka Israeli Bandage/Izzy)
                  1x Mylar Blanket
                  1x 14 Gauge ARS Chest Decompression Needle

RRS
                  Participant

FT Bragg Surplus has Army IFAK kits running at $45, probably a good start maybe add HALO seals, quick clot, decomp needle (speaking of one was used in the movie “The Three Kings”)

Max
                    Keymaster

Bias alert
                      The owner of DAM and I have been friends and/or worked alongside each other since 2003.
                      I also use a Dark Angle Kit. I was involved in the development of the kit and the prototyping of it. It just flat out works, even after dragging it in and out of rivers, caves nasty stretches of jungle, and past nasty sharp and prickly things that grow there. After several weeks of this kind of treatment the contents of the kit preformed well even after this abuse during a LTT event.
                      End of bias

Medical work is what I do for a living in some of the most difficult and extreme locations in the ConUS. Regularly check your gear to make sure that it is not damaged, all of the packaging is intact, that the gear has not expired, and get regular training (and continuing training) on its proper use.
                      Warning on chest decomp needles, I have seen many highly trained licensed healthcare providers F up with there use and cause harm to people. Be doubly sure as to the need to decompress a chest before doing so. In 20 years of full time out of hospital healthcare in very busy systems, I have saved lives of many people who did have a true TPX(s), I have also not decompressed 100’s of simple pneumothorax’s without harming anyone. I am more proud of the latter.

The DARK is just one of several kits that I have/use. I have additional vehicle stored and camp/home stored kits that provide great additional benefit if they are needed.
                      Oh and a simple boo boo kit that I keep on my person for blisters and other small PITA injuries.

Baldrick
                      Participant

I’m looking to buy one or two kits for different rigs, I have looked at the ITS Tallboy, and the Dark Angel. I’m looking to get training in this area (TC3 wasn’t offered the two times I have been to MVT), and don’t have the expertise to put together my own kit. Thoughts?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.