Hornady 62 Grain BTHP

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition Hornady 62 Grain BTHP

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian from Georgia
      Participant

For you reloaders, Midsouth Shooters Supply and Midway have Hornady 62 grain BTHP for around $.10 per round. It looked like a decent bullet for 600 yard shooting so I ordered 1500 bullets and worked up a load for fast “bulk” loading. This is apparently a limited run bullet with no published load data.

I used easy metering H335 instead of a more accurate but rougher metering powder like Varget. Here are my results.

DISCLAIMER; work up your loads by using reduced powder charge. Look for pressure signs before incrementally increasing charge weight.

OAL: 2.240-2.250 puts the center of the cannelure at the end of 1.750″ length brass.
        Average bullet weight: 62.1 grains
        Bullet length: 0.866″-0.869″
        BC: .280 (anecdotal from Midsouth’s website. Info is not directly from Hornady)

Rifle used: PSA 20″ A3 with 1/7 FN chrome lined govt profile barrel, MI free float, Geissele SSA-E trigger, SWFA Super Sniper 3 X 9 -40 in Larue SPR-E mount. Capable of 1.4 MOA 10-shot group with 69 SMK load

Shot on a bipod with rear bag at 100 yards
        ProChrono placed 6′ from muzzle

Both XM855 and a 69 grain SMK load were shot as control groups for comparison. It’s hard to see in the pic but there are 5 holes in the black for the 69 SMK load.

Best load for the Hornady 62 grain BTHP was:

Once fired LC brass at 1.75″ long
        WSR primer
        25.0 grains H335 powder
        2.250 OAL

Conclusion: expect around 2 MOA with this bullet. It would likely do better with an extruded powder. At $.10/round, this is a decent bullet that should perform better than 55 grain FMJ at longer distances. I’m hoping it does well on varmints, too.

Dennis W
        Participant

25 grains of H335 is what my progressive loader is set at, and has been for quite awhile now. The results are about the same also.
          Dennis

rhino11
          Participant

If you push it a little faster it should fly the hold over reticles of the ACOG’s and others which are set up for M855.

Brian from Georgia
            Participant

If you push it a little faster it should fly the hold over reticles of the ACOG’s and others which are set up for M855.

That was the goal but the group size opened up.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.