Homeschooling

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 6 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 79 times
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert
      Participant

We’ve been homeschooling literally since Day 1.

Go to
        http://www.abekaacademy.org/

If your not a Christian don’t let the “Christian academy” put you off. You will NOT find a more PATRIOTIC program out there. From the early days of K4 I’ve seen them stress what it means to be an American.

Also, we opted for the DVD program when we first started cause the wife was a little nervous about “teaching” our son. She does 99% of it with me filling in here and there and adding in pertinent info. Now the DVD program isn’t for dropping little Billy in front of the TV and walking away. It’s still extremely interactive and you will need to be there with them 99% of the time- at least for the first couple years. When the child gets older they can do more on their own.

We have never regretted using the DVD program. It helps to give structure, so your not really “winging it.”

Further, they have an ACCREDITED program. Why is this important? Cause if you don’t use an accredited program and/or just wing it as a lot of people do, at the end of high school your child will have to get a GED to go on to college.

With the accredited program we have to mail in work, tests, etc. and they are graded by a quote real unquote teacher at a college. You get real report cards mailed. No one can argue that “of course he gets A’s cause Mommy grades his work” when it’s graded by profs at a university.

The price has also went down a good bit over the last couple years.

Andrew
        Participant

As mentioned elsewhere, we went with Global Student Network. We do religion elsewhere.

Even back in 1998 the public schools in South Texas had whole chapters in their Social Studies text books extolling the virtues of Islam. A whole chapter on Mohammed. I was pissed, but to no avail.

Global Student Network is all computer based and YOU do the grading. You can also make your child redo the lesson if they seem like they are weak on it.

I have no association with them other than 2 of my kids were enrolled with them.

Robert
          Participant

Wife and I were just joking about some of the things we heard during “class” the last few weeks-

1. Health teacher talking about gun rights and “storing food” for economic collapse.
            2. English teacher ranting against socialized medicine
            Just a few of the things off the top of our heads from 9th grade.

God, we love homeschooling!!!

RRS
            Participant

For those into military history and strategy Vox Day’s Castillia House publishers is going to produce a home school curriculum available in 2015. FYI

Max
              Keymaster

We’re just about to take the Home-school plunge, we were threatened with truancy yesterday for our child being sick and missing 4 days and being pulled out early 3 extra days. I DON’T TAKE BEING THREATENED LIGHTLY. Best course of action, before things escalate. We have looked at it for about 2 years now, it’s a go…….

Max
                Keymaster

Check out The Great Courses as well.
                  Many of their video courses may be found at the library.

Robert
                  Participant

We’re just about to take the Home-school plunge, we were threatened with truancy yesterday for our child being sick and missing 4 days and being pulled out early 3 extra days. I DON’T TAKE BEING THREATENED LIGHTLY. Best course of action, before things escalate. We have looked at it for about 2 years now, it’s a go…….

Congrats brother! Don’t look back! Couple years from now, you’ll think “damn this was the best decision I ever made!”

Max
                    Keymaster

We home schooled our two kids years ago starting in the third grade. Both are now around 30 years old and great people. It was the best thing we ever did!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.