High Ground Gear Ripper Helmet

View Latest Activity

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Not familiar with the brand or the website, just stumbled upon this and $149 is the cheapest I’ve ever seen purpose-built low-profile helmets go for. Used in black, without internal padding. I’m guessing they’re police trade-ins.

A quick Google search and it seems these go for like a grand easy when new.

Debating whether I should get one even though I already have three helmets rolling around the house already, figured I should tip y’all off about it too. ;-)

https://ustacticalsupply.com/highgroundgearballistichelmetused.aspx

Anonymous
        Inactive

Edit: It’s High Ground Gear, not High Groind Gear, my bad. 😅

JustARandomGuy
          Participant

HGG is legit gear, and USTS should be a reliable place to purchase from.

Only downside here is it’s not drilled for a NOD mount.

Anonymous
            Inactive

@JustARandomGuy

Thanks for the feedback!

DiznNC
              Participant

Well, that can be fixed relatively easy, it’s the cut that bothers me. Could be some interference with coms there. Since ACH’s are 100 bucks all day long, I’d just get one of those, a coping saw and shit-load of Seam Grip for the same price.

Anonymous
                Inactive

@DiznNC
                  I was wondering about that myself. I figured these were police trade-ins, then saw an Elían Gonzalez meme and recognized the helmet. 😅 I’ll have to do some Google Fu and see if I can find any images of SWAT with these paired with comms.

That being said I’ve never seen ACHs for $100, I paid $130 for mine, nevermind the cost of the extra tooling. :unsure:

DiznNC
                  Participant

You need to do a pawnshop crawl in Fayetteville with me next time.

130 is OK. Mod that and you’re GTG. Still beats a grand+ for the gucci one.

Anonymous
                    Inactive

So I decided to use some of my Drumpf chex to roll the dice and buy the helmet (and a new lower) because this is fuckin’ Murica dammit.

The initial good news is that it came in like-new condition, the only thing that gave away that it had been issued at all was the previous user’s name written on the rim of the helmet, the date of manufacture is 2016 which was surprising, it’s in far better shape than my CVC or ACH.

I’m still not used to ACH-style H-harnesses (my ACH itself isn’t quite adjusted right), so I had some trouble adjusting the straps. Initial tinkering with the helmet without pads was pressing down on the top of my Peltors, flaring out the bottoms and breaking the seal around my ears. At first I thought I was really screwed and maybe the helmet wouldn’t work with earpro or regular ACH pads but once I finagled the pads a bit I managed to make it work while keeping as solid a seal as I have with my Peltors under the ACH.

(My Peltors are the ones with the headband, which means I have to make room inside the helmet for the headband; I’m not sure if I would have been better off getting the ones that wrap around the back of the head, didn’t know those were a thing until afterwards. Also wondering if the Bose Triports Joe has been using are that much thinner that I might have an easier time fitting them with my helmets altogether. :wacko: )

As far has coverage goes it basically covers as much as the ACH does sans the flairs over the ears. At first I thought it might be a bit short in the back but when I compared it to my ACH it was the same front and back. I suppose I’m still not used to modern helmets that don’t get pushed over my face when I lie prone. ;-)

I was hoping this might be a bit more comfortable than the ACH with my Peltors but it comes up about the same, while sacrificing coverage. The main issue is the helmet still has enough of a flair over the ears to prevent it from sitting on the head lower with earpro, whereas newer helmets have an explicit cutout instead. Not a terrible helmet but I am feeling a little buyer’s remorse. :unsure:

DiznNC
                      Participant

Nah you’re fine dude Mr. coping saw is your friend. In for penny, in for a pound. Get come ARC rails, screw them on, trace, and cut to the line. Or I cut just short of it and then finish with belt sander, and dremel. I shit-can the rubber rand and make my own out of “Seam Grip” or equivalent. One guy uses super glue mixed with baking soda. I like the idea of having a little flex in the thing. Anyways the point is to re-seal with something to prevent moisture intrusion.

To re-create the rand, you tape off, inside and out, and slowly build up the seam grip, one layer at a time, sanding in between coats. Once it looks more or less like the old rand, give it a final light sand and re-paoint it. I remove all the velcro circles and re-coat the thing, inside and out. Rustoleum makes this stone textured paint that’s perfect for our purposes. Let cure for a couple of weeks before messing with it.

Now take your shroud, tape in place (check with NV gear to establish mid-range of adjustment) and mark hole locations. Drill up one size, and re-seal with, you guess it, Seam Grip.

Revision has a cover which is a bargain at 50 bucks. I just mod it for whatever helmet I’m working on. This is easy for any home sewing machine.

I like the OpsCore “X” nape suspension, and the 4DT “Zero G” pad kit (feels like your head is in between two big titties).

If you ever get out from behind enemy lines, this is the kind of stuff we do in my garage all the time. We call them the garage sessions for some reason.

johanes789
                        Participant

I was surfing through paintball review website and found a great review website talking about paintball masks.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.