Here’s what would happen if every US state declared war on each other

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Articles Collection Here’s what would happen if every US state declared war on each other

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keeper
      Participant

I read this article this morning its pretty interesting It’s a ” What if event happens ”
        http://www.wearethemighty.com/second-civil-war-2015-07#ixzz3hNTnYKYr

Keeper

Max
        Keymaster

An interesting read, if a bit unrealistic in my opinion. A key aspect that reflected some sense of reality in this story is how each state had to re-think it’s military capability when units broke apart due to individuals returning to their homes in other regions.

I doubt a federal breakup like this would fall along state lines. Not many people today identify as Americans. Even less see their individual state as an identity, perhaps with Texas or ‘bama being slight exceptions. More likely, it would fall along geographical and cultural lines.

Case in point, I grew up in the NY portion of the Alleghany Mountains which forms the NW corner of the Appalachian Chain. It was a total culture shock when I went 100 or so miles away form home to a city college full of people from NY. Really not that far. When I joined the USMC however, I noticed an almost instant understanding and bonding with other people from Appalachia even though they were from the deep south.

I was always amazed at how I had so much more in common culturally with a guy from the Blue Ridge Mountains, than I did from a “fellow New Yorker”. Hell, we had different accent’s and tolerances for temperature extremes, but not much else… You would almost think the exact same people raised us.

It just seems to me that geography (and culture largely influenced by that geography) is going to have a lot more to do with where lines get drawn during this kind of breakup than any largely not existent “State Identity” in today’s society. It’s not just family and society that brings you up, the mountains themselves make you the man you are today.

SeanT
          Keymaster

Look at the rest of the world for conflict areas and see how many places have fighting inside political boundaries. African conflicts, Ukraine, Iraq, etc. clans/tribes/culture will prevail as the cohesive force over made up lines on any map.

Corvette
            Participant

I also saw that novelized “study” and felt it was extremely unrealistic.

It is true that states have a pre existing infrastructre governance bodies taxation etc and as such are almost “turn-key” countries.
              But this would work for only some states, certainly not California and NY which have HUGE regional differences between their components.

Cali was an extreme case too:
              Would a gangbanger from east LA fight for the engineers in silicon valley?
              It primary “industries” only exist off export to the rest of the US ( agriculture, movies, software)
              No significant oil production or heavy industry, despite its population it would never be the super state described in there.

NY is in a similar situation.

Texas might do well BUT it first has to fend off the Aztlan PPL (just like Cali) and do so with a significant 5ht column inside the state..

I agree that regional associations would be the order of the day rather than State “empires”

Andrew
              Participant

I wonder about this stuff from time to time. Thanks Bracken. But, I know many, many Texans of Mexican descent who have no use, whatsoever, for the invaders, but particularly for the invaders from Central American.

Many of these guys are prior military, many are in, or were in the Border Patrol, Customs/ICE, DEA, etc. Others are just patriots.

Unfortunately, many are like me and need more training.

Anyway, in Texas, I think some of the big cities may have some problems, but in the more suburban/rural areas it could get rough for the Reconquista crowd. JMO.

winston
                Participant

It just seems to me that geography (and culture largely influenced by that geography) is going to have a lot more to do with where lines get drawn during this kind of breakup than any largely not existent “State Identity” in today’s society. It’s not just family and society that brings you up, the mountains themselves make you the man you are today.

Lee nails it. While I disagree with the borders of Appalachia on the map (they go up into Pennsyl-tuckey and the New York mountains), this is what a true Balkinization of the U.S. will look like.

UPDATE: WTF? Where did my map go?

Max
                  Keymaster

Well if you go there, you’ll see that the mountains don’t suddenly end at the Pennsylvania line.

Mike H
                    Participant

I agree an interesting read but I also agree with others here about cultural borders defining areas rather than old pre collapse state lines. The author for instance states that Minnesota falls in line with the group centered on Illinois rather quickly……I would counter the demographics of the region have changed so much since the GWOT started and with resettlement of “refugees” all the way across the state into ND that a never ending conflict would take place here. Also with a door for international intervention to the north(Canada) things will be sporty for a long time. At least we have that marshy, swampy terrain plus the cold to use as an advantage.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.