Hennessy Hammock As A Hooch?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Shelter and Sleep Systems Hennessy Hammock As A Hooch?

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 8 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 44 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian from Georgia
      Participant

I just received a Hennessy Expedition Asym Classic hammock today. The thing goes up in just a few minutes and weighs under 3 lbs with the rain fly. It has a velcro bottom that you can kick and exit quickly. The built-in mosquito net is a nice touch.

It got me thinking about using this as a hooch. That might not be proper field craft protocol but it could work if I could bring myself to camo painting it. Better yet, use a camo thermal shield for a rain fly…

What do you think? Of I show up to the CRCD/Patrol class with this, will Max run me off? :-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I use a set up like this pretty often.

Eddie
          Participant

He’ll let you camp in it during CRTC but not as a hooch during Patrol Class…. I disagreed with him but after the Patrol class I’m in 100% agreement. The hammocks are great for what they’re designed for, I love mine. But they’re not sutible for the patrol scenario.

Eddie

Brian from Georgia
            Participant

THat’s what I figured. Thanks for the tip.

JohnyMac
              Participant

GWNS, I like the camo one. Do you know where you can buy it?

Submariner
                Participant

He’ll let you camp in it during CRTC but not as a hooch during Patrol Class…. I disagreed with him but after the Patrol class I’m in 100% agreement.

What makes it unsuitable for Patrol Class?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

GWNS, I like the camo one. Do you know where you can buy it?

JUNGLE HAMMOCK & FLY from MOSQUITO HAMMOCK.

JohnyMac
                    Participant

Thanks GWNS! :good:

Max
                      Keymaster

In my area a hammock is a must for about half the year. To hot, to wet and to many bugs.

I don’t do the expensive ones, I have a cammo one from “hammock bliss” and simply wear a mosquito head net. If I need to roll out I just roll out. I strive o put up as little as possible.

In the winter time I use a USGI gortex bivi.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.