Helmets and Electronic Hearing Protection

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Helmets and Electronic Hearing Protection

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      rampantraptor
      Participant

So if I’m working on a budget, what would be a good combo for a kevlar helmet and electronic hearing protection?

I already have a pair of Howard Leights, but it seems from reading online that they don’t mate well with anything but a FAST helmet, which are easily $300+, which I can’t pool together anytime soon. I was looking at some of the surplus MICH, ACH, or Mk 6 helmets because they’re kevlar and within my budget but I’m not aware of any way to mate them to any kind of electronic hearing protection, except for the high-end headsets that cost $500+ themselves.

Any suggestions?

Kinda random but I figured y’all would know more than anybody else.

SeanT
        Keymaster

Sadly that combination of things will not ever be budget friendly.

JohnnyMac
          Participant

An appropriate sized ACH, with team Wendy pads arranged for the headband of the earpro to go in between them is probably you’re cheapest viable option

Max
              Keymaster

An appropriate sized ACH, with team Wendy pads arranged for the headband of the earpro to go in between them is probably you’re cheapest viable option

:good:

DiznNC
              Participant

OK, this is heresy to some, BUT, I have modified several surplus ACH’s into a decent high cut helmet. The trick is taking your time with the cuts, and re-sealing the raw edges properly. Some say this crazy, because warranty, liability, etc. If you are active duty .mil, LEO, etc. they might have a point. I say if you are an armed civilian, who gives a fuck.

So with a 100 dollar surplus ACH, a good coping saw, and several tubes of McNett Seam Grip, you can have a high cut helmet at a fraction of the cost. Remove the rubber rand and shit-can. Put your rails on, trace, and cut to the line. Then I use an extra coarse sanding belt on a belt sander to smooth out the cuts, and remove most of the raw, fuzzy material. Then you tape up, inside and out, to the old rand line. Now carefully build up with Seam Grip, sanding in between coats, until you have a nice smooth replacement rand. If you need a new 3-hole pattern, fill single hole with Seam Grip. You can even mix in a little fuzzy Kevlar in as reinforcement. Now tape on new Shroud, and mark new hole pattern. Drill up a size. Coat holes with Seam Grip. Drill to actual size. I then coat the helmet, inside and out with Rustoleum textured spray paint. Let dry several days.

The key is re-sealing the raw edges. As long as you do this, I see nothing wrong with this technique. Although purists will point out the Kevlar is weakened at the cuts, but whatever.

You can go mild to wild on accessories. Ops Core or Revision rails; Ops Core VAS shroud, Wilcox, etc.; OpsCore suspension, TW BOA, etc,; std or 4D pads; Revision, OpsCore, First Spear helmet covers; and NV gear.

I usually end up spending about 400 bucks, with say OpsCore rails and shroud, “X” nape suspension, and Revision cover.

With state of the art helmets going for 15-1700 these days, I say why not. YMMV.

helmet

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  DiznNC.
                  AntMan
                  Participant

Damn, well done. That looks sharp.

2xcqbc
                    1xclc

jriggs
                  Participant

Not sure if this is good advice so take with a grain of salt. I put a team Wendy dial in the level three cvc helmet. I then attached peltors to the helmet. It fits well and the ear pro works well but is really high cut over the ears.

Team Rekkr

rampantraptor
                    Participant

Not sure if this is good advice so take with a grain of salt. I put a team Wendy dial in the level three cvc helmet. I then attached peltors to the helmet. It fits well and the ear pro works well but is really high cut over the ears.

Reading up on this and it seems like this is actually a pretty established mod I could pull off for less than the cost of the ACH alone. If I buy an ACH and my Howard Leights don’t fit (I’ve heard that even the ACH can crush your head with earpro) I have to shell out more money for another headset, which could go towards plates and a plate carrier, and I’m already pinching pennies as-is.

Seems that the 132B is the best version, while the 132A is lighter but offers less ballistic protection. I’m seeing one 132B for $60, and a 132A for $40, but I think I can shell out the extra 20 bucks for the extra protection. Pads are like fifteen, ACH chinstraps are like another fifteen to twoenty. That comes out to like $120 or so at most, plus some labor for drilling holes.

Unless Max, 1SG, Joe or any of the other guys think it’s a terrible idea sounds like a feasible game plan.

jriggs
                      Participant

Couple of things to consider.
                        1. When I say high cut they are really high cut.
                        2. If you are planning on running nods go ahead and get a dial system it really stabilizes everything.
                        3. These helmets only come in two sizes large and larger. The small is still big (I wear 7 1/2 hat and I have to put thicker pads in to make it fit). They are designed to have tanker coms and liners in them.
                        4 when you start making your own mods on the first one you will likely spend more than you anticipate. Like shit I drilled the wrong hole or those pads are the wrong size.
                        When I think about it a little more if you aren’t running a dial system an ach is probably your best and cheapest option. I have run that set up with cheaper peltors with no problem. The ear pro actually made the helmet more stable.

Team Rekkr

DiznNC
                        Participant

Plus one on ear pro making things more stable. If you helmet mount the ear pro, you can get away with a std “X” or “H” nape harness, even with NV. My set up has a std “X” nape harness and I have zero issues with shit moving around with NV.

The dial-a-fit stuff gives me headaches when worn all night. YMMV.

A word about sizing. Don’t forget about winter ops when you need some kind of balaclava in there. I went up a size just for this purpose. So if it’s a little big that’s a plus in my book. Could also use some kind of “Head Sweats” helmet liner.

First Sergeant

I have worn CVC helmets before. In a armored vehicle. Did it pretty regularly for a couple of years.

My advice is don’t do this.

@rampantraptor send me a PM. I can probably get you into an ACH cheaper than you think.

FILO
                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

rampantraptor
                              Participant

I have worn CVC helmets before. In a armored vehicle. Did it pretty regularly for a couple of years.

My advice is don’t do this.

@rampantraptor send me a PM. I can probably get you into an ACH cheaper than you think.

Sent you a message, awaiting a response.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.