HEAT .5 Observations

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment HEAT .5 Observations

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by RobRoy. This post has been viewed 67 times
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

Again, seeing some reoccurring themes.

Blue Loctite is your friend. BUIS, sight mounts, flashlight mounts etc. need to have blue loctite on them. This will keep them from working loose and falling off when you need it the most.

80% lowers. I understand the attraction of these, especially for someone who is behind enemy lines. I have yet to see one at class that doesn’t have some sort of issue. The biggest problem I see is mag wells that aren’t to spec. A lot of times the jigs that come with them aren’t perfect either. Be aware of this.

Lube your rifles. Almost at the end of class one of the students rifles just quit running. Added lube and the rifle started running again. He said he didn’t put any lube on it that morning.

Not all charging handles are created equal. Especially doing malfunction drills. The standard CH that comes on AR’s are OK but are not the best. My recommendation is to get a BCM medium latch. It gives you more to grab when charging the rifle.

Get a quick adjustable sling. One that you can change the length on the fly with your support hand. If you choose to attach it where the extension tube meets the lower, make sure that it cannot rotate up and get in the way of running the charging handle.

Older Eotechs that have the batteries in line with the bore still have the problem of randomly cutting off while firing.

I will talk about ammo choices in a post tomorrow. It needs to be it’s own separate post.

I used a new rifle this class. A Colt 6920 OEM2, Midwest Industries free float extended rail, Trijicon MRO and a BCM medium latch CH. The only thing I did to the rifle was paint it. Guess what? Everything worked right out of the box. I had one issue that was ammo related. I will cover that in the ammo post tomorrow.

Good class with a good group of students, only one alumni.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
        Participant

Great post!

Training is the only way to figure this sort of thing out sans listening to PROVEN advice like this. For the hard heads, you’ll have to get to class to figure this stuff out. Bench shooting 50 rounds a year will NEVER show you how your equipment will hold up like a couple days of hard use like this.

gatlinggun
          Participant

Only buy an 80% AR lower with the mag well already machined, the rest is easy for a competent machinist.

How do I know this? Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies…..

First Sergeant

Only buy an 80% AR lower with the mag well already machined, the rest is easy for a competent machinist.

How do I know this? Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies…..

All of the ones I have seen come with the magwell already done. They are still out of spec.

FILO
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

gatlinggun
              Participant

Just curious as to what makes them out of spec?

First Sergeant

Just curious as to what makes them out of spec?

Mags will not fall free and are a pain in the ass to seat.

FILO
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

gatlinggun
                  Participant

Well apparently not all 80% AR receivers are created equal. The ones I have experience with have all worked as well as any “name-brand” AR.

Interesting.

First Sergeant

Well apparently not all 80% AR receivers are created equal. The ones I have experience with have all worked as well as any “name-brand” AR.

Interesting.

With all the different mags that are out there? GI aluminum(all makers), Magpul(all generations), Lancer etc.?

I have seen that some like one maker over another. That is wrong.

I want a rifle that will take any mag that I put in it and it works. Which means the mag well needs to be to spec.

FILO
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…the rest is easy for a competent machinist.

This is true however few are are machinists of even the backyard variety. Most haven’t taken their time either.

Well apparently not all 80% AR receivers are created equal.

This is certainly true for most things. ;-)

Though it is possible to manufacture a quality AR this way, few have the patience to overcome their limited abilities IMHO.

A truly skilled machinist could build almost any firearm from scratch with proper drawings and/or reverse engineer one in a pinch with some trial and error.

In my opinion most mechanically inclined would be better off with building sheet metal firearms as the skill is less difficult. A good enough weld is easier to pull off for the layman than quality machine work with a drill press. :yes:

Fun hobby, but I think most would be better served by other arrangements.

wheelsee
                        Participant

and once again, people dismiss the advice given by those who’ve BTDT……….. B-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Gatlinggun I attempted to fix your post and it vanished. :unsure:

I did see it, but don’t know what happened.

So you’ll need to repost it if you want.

I’ve seen your work from an post a few years back.

Yes you are a machinist, but that is hardly the normal standard for homebuilding an AR!

With proper information I suspect you could build most firearms in existence.

I am one of those “backyard” types I referred to. The Difference is I have patience and know my limitations.

Let’s face it if we throw someone off the street into your shop, do you think they will be able to build a quality AR?

I don’t!

Now imagine them trying it with a drill press and a flimsy jig. :wacko:

Anyway your in a different category. :yes:

gatlinggun
                            Participant

Thanks for the comments Joe. When I hit the post button my post just vanished.

To answer a question from First Sergeant, I’ve tried all of the AR mags I had available, all generations of Magpul, GI types of various makes and vintages (to include one VN-vintage 20 rounder), and some other makes of polymer mags I don’t own but had access to. All worked as intended. That is why I was curious about your comment.

LouF
                              Participant

What quick adjustable slings would you recommend?

gatlinggun
                                Participant

I use Vickers combat action slings on both AR15 and FNFAL Paras. They work well.

First Sergeant

Thanks for the comments Joe. When I hit the post button my post just vanished.

To answer a question from First Sergeant, I’ve tried all of the AR mags I had available, all generations of Magpul, GI types of various makes and vintages (to include one VN-vintage 20 rounder), and some other makes of polymer mags I don’t own but had access to. All worked as intended. That is why I was curious about your comment.

Glad to hear yours works and that you did the work testing it.

What quick adjustable slings would you recommend?

Blue Force Gear Vickers sling. I like the padded ones.

FILO
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Vickers Slings

I have been happy with all of Blue Force Gear’s products.

Going to try out the Vickers ONE Sling…

The Vickers ONE™ Sling was designed with smaller sub machine guns and pistol caliber carbines in mind. The 1” webbing fits 1” sling loops, like the CZ Scorpion EVO, without having to “bunch up” traditional 1.25” webbing. With less bulk and less weight, the Vickers ONE™ is perfect for wearing under a coat or over garments in a concealable role.

…for a new project.

Will review it soon.

RobRoy
                                      Participant

I got the V-tacs slings they do the job, and well built and if you research you can get an American made one if that is your thing.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.