Gun Store/Show Etiquette Question

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Gun Store/Show Etiquette Question

• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Roadkill. This post has been viewed 91 times
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Abacus
      Participant

I have a question for the community that has been nagging at me. Like many here, I enjoy visiting local gun stores and looking around. Sometimes I even buy stuff! However I am always a little leery on the subject of how to respectfully inspect the merchandise.

How does one handle a weapon you are interested in purchasing without being “that guy” who muzzles the whole store or is otherwise disrespectful? Obviously you don’t point the weapons at people in the store, but there are plenty of other things in there I am “not willing to destroy” to quote “the rules.” Anybody got any advice? Am I just overthinking things as is my habit? Thanks in advance!

First Sergeant

I work part time in a gun store. I would be overjoyed if people stopped flagging me.

I always clear the gun before I hand it to a customer. If the guy behind the counter doesn’t do that, you clear it and point it at anything else in the store. We have a couple of manicans in ours that are perfect for that.

Just don’t point it at somebody and you should be good.

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

GreenTip
          Participant

My buddy went into a local gun store in one of the counties we work a few years ago. He asked for a gun in the case and the clerk got it and handed it to him. The gun had no magazine in it and he cycled the slide to check it was clear and it had a round in the chamber. The clerk about passed out and my buddy was pissed.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I always clear the firearm regardless of what person behind the counter does.

The firearm isn’t clear until I clear it rule applies for me. ;-)

wheelsee
              Participant

Bolded for emphasis…..I see the other side, the results of a “I thought it was unloaded” mentality too often.

My mantra – Once the bullet leaves the barrel, ya can’t take it back

Robert
                Participant

Same here, probably just out of force of habit.

Roadkill
                  Participant

Handle the gun professionally. Finger off trigger, clearing chamber, not muzzling shop owners and people in store. If you have any questions about the firearm ask, don’t try to fake it. Being former firefighter, we had a fire with guns in the house, pd was notified to secure the guns, an officer picked up a revolver and could see rounds in the cylinder. He wanted to empty to make it safe, but didn’t have a clue. I was the fire officer in the room and asked if he needed help. He replied, oh hell yes. It was a breaktop revolver. He had never seen one before. This goes back to my, if your not familiar with a firearm you’re looking at, don’t let pride stand in the way of asking for help. This is what a professional would do.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.