Gross Boer war Brit ration taste test

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Gross Boer war Brit ration taste test

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      riflemaniv
      Participant

Dude taste tests a Boer war era Brit emergency ration.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Back in the early 90’s I had a tin of WWI shortbread with no ill effects.

Last year I had a can of refried beans that’s expiration date was March 1987.

Of course examine the can for signs of damage, look at food, smell food, and finally taste. Generally speaking if it passes above your good to go.

Try at your own risk. ;-)

Remember MRE’s don’t really expire (undamaged), but dates are based Palatability.

You may not be able to stomach it, but its probably safe.

riflemaniv
          Participant

Yup I eat expired canned goods all the time. 100 years is a little out of my comfort zone.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…examine the can for signs of damage, look at food, smell food…

Based on the video review it failed the above, so no need to bother with taste test! :yes:

wheelsee
              Participant

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/arctic-explorers-uncover-60-year-old-food-stash-180956936/

As Joe said, check the can for damage (bulges). If none there, probably safe to eat (at your own risk) :whistle:

A_A_Ron2guns
                Participant

I had an MRE from 1984 back in 2004. It was fine. 100 years is a little much though.

DuaneH
                  Participant

I have a Chicken a la King MRE from 1984. Might see if someone will try it one day.

Virgil Kane
                    Participant

I would be less worried about anything living in it than I would about the potential heavy metals from the container.

wheelsee
                      Participant

Side note – how to identify old cans (and potential problems)

http://www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/archaeology/downloads/Cans.pdf

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.