Great Starter/Entry-Level HF Radio IC-718

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication Great Starter/Entry-Level HF Radio IC-718

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      CommsPrepper
      Participant

Short video showing a great option for an entry-level/starter High Frequency (HF) radio. Hank/CommsPrepper

IC-718 Starter HF Radio

SeanT
        Keymaster

CommsPrepper speaks good advice here.

Bill G.
          Participant

Almost bought it but the Yaesu FT 450D has a built in antenna tuner which eliminates a piece of equipment and reduced start up cost for me. And the 450 is roughly the same money.

CommsPrepper
            Participant

CommsPrepper speaks good advice here.

Thanks. Hank

CommsPrepper
              Participant

Almost bought it but the Yaesu FT 450D has a built in antenna tuner which eliminates a piece of equipment and reduced start up cost for me. And the 450 is roughly the same money.

FT-450D is a fine radio for sure. I prefer to have things separate so I can isolate failures and keep operating. Hank

SeanT
                Keymaster

The other thing about the internal tuners is their range. The LDG can match up to I think a 10:1 mismatch whereas the internals go to about 3:1

Bill G.
                  Participant

Hank…never even thought about that. That’s why I love coming here, always learning something. Fortunately I was just given a MFJ 949 from a ham that passed away at our club. So I guess I could use it as a backup if I lost my internal tuner. But Im keeping an eye out for a good deal on a 718 as backup radio to pair it up with.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.