GPS Recommendations

View Latest Activity

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

I’m looking to get a GPS to supplement my map and compass. I want to it mainly to double check location. What would be a good model for our purposes?

Thanks.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The Garmin eTrex 10 and Magellan eXplorist 110 can both be had for around $100.

The first basic eTrex (discontinued, but available used) is what I used in Afghanistan and worked great. I also have a Magellan eXplorist 100 that I got on clearance for $50 at Walmart several years ago.

Since you are talking basic GPS capabilities I would check out clearance sections at all stores you frequent.

Used on eBay is a great way to find very reasonable prices on GPS.

I think the Garmins are more robust, on the Magellan eXplorist 100 I cracked the LCD screen on it. I was able to buy a replacement screen on eBay for $12 so no big deal during normal times.

trailman
          Participant

Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS: Review

Good review,
            I have an old etrex somewhere and it worked fine. I have a GPS 60 now and its a bit overwhelming as in a shit ton of function’s in a little package. It takes a lot of scrolling and tabbing to get places on the unit. Garmin is a bit tight on the maps too as in its tough to load third party maps if you don’t have technical knowledge. I’d take the advice on the Garmin line and look for an older one. I don’t have any experience with Magellan’s….

Max
            Keymaster

Have an etrex legend, didn’t work for shit in the trees. Bought a garmin 64st. The antenna helps it work even in dense trees. It even has a camera (I’m a search and rescue tech, gives coordinates of the picture).

Robert
              Participant

I’ve been looking at that 401 for a while now. I like that it’s small and fits on the wrist.

Anyone here actually have one? What do you think about it?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.