Goruck Prep

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 48 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 2 months ago by tango. This post has been viewed 237 times
Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      tango
      Participant

This thread will be like the Murph thread cataloging workouts leading up to the event. For those that have never done a Goruck event before, hopefully this gives some context and a starting point for your own entry! This prep will be for a Heavy specifically, which is ~24 hrs and 40 miles with a ~50% attrition rate.
        https://www.goruck.com/heavy/

Other events like the Tough and Light have a nearly 100% completion rate.

Workout #1: Heavy Miles
        .5 mi warmup just 45lb ruck
        1.5mi 45lb ruck sandbag

tango
        Participant

From here on out, no headphones. No music.

This workout, only longer and heavier:

Sandbag workout w/ ruck on
          5 rounds
          50 seconds on, 10 seconds off
          Bent over Rows
          Clean & Press
          Front Swings
          Speed Skater

Ended up doing extra Clean & Press and extra Speed Skaters after round 2. Going heavy 2 days in a row felt rough on the lower back in a bad way.

BrigandActual
          Participant

I’ve got a tough event next week in DC. I followed one of Rob Shaul’s plans at the Mountain Tactical Institute. It was a great plan right up until I injured my lower back about a month ago.

It feels ok now, but my holding back on pushing myself definitely concerns me for next week.

Good luck to you!

Max
            Keymaster

Is there something you young whipper-snappers know that I don’t? New fangled training stuff? Back in the day when I trained to ‘ruck’ (tab), or we trained others, we trained to do it by actually tabbing, not heaving sandbags around.

But perhaps this is because goruck isn’t so much about ‘rucking’ as doing glorified ‘smoke sessions’?

Doing all that sandbqg work with your bergan (ruck) on, yep, you will break your lower back.

Training for this kind of event, I would mix running with cycling with less frequent acrual tabbing events. Throw in some more HITT style circuits and some upper body for the vanity effect.

Max
              Keymaster

I mean, there are things known about PT that were not known 20 years ago. But I really enjoy lifting for the sake of lifting, but it doesn’t do shit for tactical-cardio. But it seems this kind of lifting workout has reached a level of importance that doesn’t make sense for what is being trained for. Sort of a ‘Jocko Willink’ ‘get massive on the iron, lift olympic, and do MMA’ kick that makes no actual sense when training for any sort of cardio selection event.

tango
                Participant

I just completed a full 26mi ruck marathon a couple weeks ago. The sandbag work is to prepare for the inevitable, and multiple, smoke sessions that are a part of the event. The first part of the event takes hours and that’s just the intro.
                  https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/updated-goruck-pft-standards/

3 Mile Ruck
                  12 Rounds For Time
                  6 x Ring Pull-Ups
                  6 x Burpee Squats (Full Burpee with Jump followed by Squat)
                  6 x 4 Ct Mountain Climbers
                  6 x Rucksack Getups
                  3 Mile Ruck

And they might make us do that whole workout with our rucks on.

1 day of going hard and realizing it, dialing it back a little, and completing the workout is not a big deal.

The workouts I’m doing mimick things that you will be expected to do at these events based on past experience from a Tough and a Heavy. Suitcase carries, 4-count burpees, ruck-on workouts, squats, cleans, sandbag burden carries, no headphones, etc. Adding a timed ruck TAB is probably prudent.

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

But perhaps this is because goruck isn’t so much about ‘rucking’ as doing glorified ‘smoke sessions’

Yeah, in addition to their packs, the group has to carry heavy stuff (pretty much the entire time), and then interspersed with smoke sessions- although I defer to others, as I’ve never done a GoRuck event…with no plans to do so.

It’s a brutal event for sure.

tango
                    Participant

Maybe I should clarify why I do these events, because it’s not about getting in shape and being fit. @johnnymac does a great job of taking care of that for us. In fact, these events are actually not good for your health and are not sustainable long term.

So we’re all here on this forum because we’ve got the gear, we’re getting the training, and we’re getting the knowledge. But when it comes down to it, most people are completely untested under truely stressful conditions and just arrogantly assume that they could fight a war if it showed up. They have little to no mental tools for handling adverse conditions. Force on Force really shatters that idea for people. You know what else really shatters that idea? Watch a 90lb girl or an 82 year old man complete one of these 24 hour events and the big burly man drop out. What’s your excuse? Imagine that a war lasts a whole lot more than 24 hours. If you can’t take 8-12-24 hours of hard work without quitting how strong are you, really?

To quote Jocko: “It’s not a battle. It’s a campaign.”

It crosses over in to business and personal life. Things that seemed like a big deal before become a lot smaller and more manageable. That confidence becomes burned in to you.

This is not to advocate or recruit to these events. If somebody decides they want to try it then here is the information they will need to succeed.

BrigandActual
                      Participant

For GoRuck specifically, the rucking is only part of it. Over the course of 12-14 hours (or 24 hours for Tango’s case) you “only” cover 15-20 miles.

When the Army standard for 12 miles is 4 hours, then it doesn’t seem like we’re moving all that fast. They aren’t exactly glorified smoke sessions, as you said, but that kind of thing certainly appears from time to time.

It might look more like, “You need to get these 40 people from here to this position x miles away in x amount of time. Oh, and bring that 800 lb log, these jerry cans. Also those two people are casualties and need to be carried.”

Then, if you don’t make the time hack, it’s smoke session time.

Aside from that traditional ruck training prep, for me at least, is a mix of strength training, stamina-challenging “grind” workouts, cardio/intervals, and rucking.

I follow something similar to the ideas Mike Prevost put out a while back based on NATO research.

Mike Prevost: Ruck Training Programs – PART 1

Mike Prevost: Ruck Training Programs – PART 2

I interviewed him a while back for an article. One of the very interesting findings was the tipping point where strength becomes more important than cardio for fast rucking. It usually happens as you go past 30% body weight. It’s not that cardio isn’t important, but strength gets more important.

tango
                        Participant

@brigandactual

I’ve got a tough event next week in DC.

Good luck to you! DFQ.

It might look more like, “You need to get these 40 people from here to this position x miles away in x amount of time. Oh, and bring that 800 lb log, these jerry cans. Also those two people are casualties and need to be carried.”

Accurate.

Today’s workout:
                          No weight
                          4 Rounds
                          Run 1000m
                          10x Man Maker Burpee Squat
                          30 min time hack

Max
                          Keymaster

If you guys want to do something hard for hardness sake, then go for it. I personally don’t agree that GoRuck is the way, based as it is around ‘smoke’ i.e. torture session which the cadre seem to have learned from SFAS. I have commented on this before, and there is definitely a way to conduct hard selection courses, and in many ways the US gets it wrong, with SFAS and BUDS. Yes, its hard, but it’s also largely stupid when it comes to the smoke sessions. I have completed both Pre-Parachute and UKSF selection and they were very constructive in the fact that they were HARD AS SHIT but there were very little meaningless ‘smoke sessions.’ I am sure I would quit on SFAS, probably due to age /experience and intolerance of stupidity – I’d quit on one of the stupid hazing sessions in the pit, rolling back and forth for hours.

There is nuance here. For example, in the beat up phase to UKSF test week, there would be sessions where we would be tabbing as a group, and then reach a place such as ‘bowtie wood’, where the DS would send us running around the wood then up and down a steep as shit hill, first with rucks then without. Can these be called ‘smoke sessions’? Maybe, but there was a specific purpose in terms of improving cardio fitness in the approach to test week. So it is nuance. Another would be group tabs where one of us would lead / nav a leg to the next checkpoint, and had to get there in a certain time – the specific purpose was to ensure we knew / understood / could achieve the required 4kmh pace as the crow flies between points which is necessary to pass test week in the times required. Doing endless leg raises or whatever, weapon above the head, etc is HARD, but is more of a torture session with no applicable use. I can put you in a an immobile stress position as per RTI interrogation and it will be hard as shit, but it is not achieving anything meaningful for PT. You either understand the nuance or you don’t. If Delta selection has remained true to it’s origins, it would likely be the most meaningful selection and closest to the UKSF origins.

Personally, I would prefer do something like train for a speed hike on the Appalachian trail or something similar . Like the ‘Lanyard Trophy’ in BritMil where is is 40 miles with a certain load and it is a speed march. That can be made into a team race.

I interviewed him a while back for an article. One of the very interesting findings was the tipping point where strength becomes more important than cardio for fast rucking. It usually happens as you go past 30% body weight. It’s not that cardio isn’t important, but strength gets more important.

We had an interesting discussion yesterday at the Corporate AirSim event that Scott and I were running, about all this. In summary, what is happening today is that it is being justified that cardio is out. That powerlifting can replace it. This is a mix of vanity and laziness. I personally really enjoy lifting and do a lot of it. I am not training for tabbing right now. But guys want to be big, and look big, and have massive arms, and that is very much the look nowadays. So much so that if you don’t have that look, then you can’t be the real deal. So far from the truth in reality that it is nuts.

Now, back in the day we realized that cardio is king. Yes, there was ignorance and we ran and tabbed too much. Nowadays with modern training methods we could save some knees by deleting some long runs and adding alternative sessions such as circuit training and a limited amount of lifting. But not Olympic Lifting! Basic strength moves, along the liens of functional fitness. I seriously don’t think anyone out there who is preaching this stuff has any idea of how fit we used to be and how strong our cardio and endurance was, and how we could move with load over the ground. I mean, P Company and UKSF levels of fitness.

There is no need, other than personal vanity, to do any sort of powerlifting to achieve these levels of fitness, where cardio is king. Body weight exercises will do all you need to do. Excess muscle mass will seriously impede your ability to move over the ground. Just look at green Beret from maybe Vietnam, humping shit in the jungle, to a modern guy with access to the gym, a vehicle to ride in, and massive arms.

That quote above, I simply do not believe it. Yes, be strong, but cardio is king. If I could show you some of the supremely fit ‘midgets’ we used to joke about who were paras, humping heavy shit and never going to the gym in their lives, you might see it.

I think that largely we are facing a cultural problem where the thing now is to be ‘massive’ and no-one wants to do cardio. It just depends what you want in life, but don’t try and tell me that you can best train for tabbing by lifting weights. America wants to be massive so America is getting massive and justifying it. Not to mention that if you are actually deployed on real infantry operations, you never get to go to the gym. The real work of the infantry is carrying loads utilizing cardio and endurance. The only upper body would be digging trenches and moving sandbags, all of which is a cardio / strength activity not involving massive strength. It is not maximal load that is important, but constant endurance as you perhaps spend 36 hours digging fighting a trench and revetting it with OHP to stage 3. 36 hours on the go without sleeping.

Land war against China / Russia will not go well on current attitudes. Yes, back in the day we ran too much and too far, and we all have bad knees because of it. I would look to modern functional fitness knowledge and coaching to reduce the mileage on knees but still maintain excellent cardio and rucking ability.

Anyway, I missed leg day yesterday so have to fit in that over the weekend, getting some heavy deadlifts, squats etc in. It will do me no good tactically! I can admit that. I read a training book focusing on powerlifiting / crossfit type stuff designed for the military and heavily encouraging Olympic lifting, so much so that you apparently cannot be a top tier operator if you cannot Olympic lift! He was stupid enough to say that Delta selection is inappropriate for purpose involving as it does that long ruck marches over the hills given that the Unit’s role is direct action hostage rescue. Holy crap! selection is a mental test and applies to other roles of these units such as jungle long range stuff, hills of Afghanistan etc. The SAS is the same, with the same / similar selection designed to ultimately test the individual, but also being home to the Counter-Revolutionary Warfare role i.e. the men in black from the Iranian embassy etc. The guy just missed to point entirely. When they send guys to conduct operations in the jungles of South America, then the reason for Jungle Phase and these types of selection test become apparent.

First Sergeant

When the Army standard for 12 miles is 4 hours, then it doesn’t seem like we’re moving all that fast. They aren’t exactly glorified smoke sessions, as you said, but that kind of thing certainly appears from time to time.

Unless it’s changed, the standard for a 12 mile road march is 3 hours.That is for the Infantry. If they have changed it to 12 miles in 4 hours, that is a fucking stroll in the park with time to stop, drink beer and take a fucking nap.

As Max said we discussed this on Thursday. What he posted above is spot on.

FILO
                              Signal Out, Can You Identify
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

When they send guys to conduct operations in the jungles of South America, then the reason for Jungle Phase and these types of selection test become apparent.

The typical Veterans of just OEF/OIF GWOT don’t understand the difference, they just don’t have a point of reference. It’s the same mindset that dismisses the lessons learned prior to GWOT like some historical Civil War story with muskets. :unsure:

They’ll pay a steep price one day.

Now regarding this Goruck stuff, based on previous posts by Tango I was under the impression this was more about searching for a source of recruits to build a Team, vice any other purpose.

We know the gun culture is poor choice for finding motivated like minded people.

Tango can explain if I am wrong.

Max
                                Keymaster

Yes, and we should also recall tjat a lot of the celebrity military / gun guys are massive now that they are retired, and are able to train like that. They would not have looked like that back in the day, or when they went through training / selection. Some of that is maturity, and they may have had more time for weight lifting as they reached other stages in their careers, and then got out.

Even as contractors we used to talk about ‘Op Massive’ when we had time to get in the gym. Or on the sort of military deployment where you were on a base that had a gym. But I weight at least 20 – 30 lbs more than when I was running as a Para Officer. I simply could not perform now as I could then. I have the luxury as a civilian of going to the gym and weight lifting for vanity purposes.

Max
                                  Keymaster

Oh, and try working on a farm. I’m putting in fencing. Posts. Wire. Etc. Even with a tractor for post holes and pulling wire it is exhausting. Much more like infantry work. Hours in the heat doing that is comparable to infantry defensive work.

RobRoy
                                    Participant

Netflix has a documentary series up called “Secrets of the SAS” of course part of it deals with their selection tests, brutal but obvious as to its purpose since they relate it to the Desert Storm clusterbuck.

To sidetrack the conversation one of the SAS recruits who should have made general related how him and his team found a hippy farm just outside of the area and spent their week of their test getting stoned, drunk and laid and then showed up at the end looking a bit haggard. Frankly I was disappointed in the SAS cadre that place would have been my honeytrap, but they were oblivious.

JohnnyMac
                                      Participant

There’s two diverging topics:

1. I think GoRuck’s events main thing is “making better Americans” or something like that. I think they’re main thing is giving people the opportunity for some real perseverance and developing teamwork. GRT’s (people who do the events) come from all walks of life, but I think it’s mainly giving people who generally live easy lives something hard to do- character building, and some sense of community. Those two things are somewhat lacking in society, so good on them. I will also say there is a not insignificant risk of injury. You won’t find me attending an event, as it just doesn’t make sense, for me, but to each his own. It’s no different than people signing up for marathons, “mud races”, etc. I will say though, GoRuck training is far closer to SUT applicability than say, Crossfit.

2. “Team Gainz aka Team Massive” …Endurance/work capacity is definitely key for SUT/light infantry, in the sense you need to be able to move under load for long periods of time. The other components of fitness ( https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/functional-fitness-part-1/ ) are still important. I think the trap people fall into, in general, is over-specialization, taking away from the other domains of fitness to try to maximize one (Ex: marathon running/endurance, powerlifting/strength, etc). But at least those athletes are still focused on a domain of fitness! The “body builders” might “look good” but pretty much suck across the board performance wise. I ALWAYS advocate a performance-centered, and balanced, mentality. You’ll never have as much endurance as a marathoner, the strength of a powerlifter, etc- but you can still be decent at running, decent at lifting, etc. The few times I’ve decided to spend some time “specializing”, the gains I made were less than what I lost in the other domains that were being neglected, classic diminishing returns!

With all that said, what I’ve found works best for me is spending roughly 25-33% of my training time of building power and strength and the other 66-75% on conditioning circuits of varying time domains, intensity and a very broad set of movements. Emphasis will change a bit across the year, maybe a bit more strength building, a bit longer circuits, extra running/rucking, etc- but I’m still working within the basic bounds described above within a training session. Training session to training session, the workouts will be in line with the “emphasis” I’m working on, while also making sure I still hit the basics.

Beyond that, consistency/discipline is the most important.

RobRoy
                                        Participant

Hey 1st Sgt. what is the load for that march?

BrigandActual
                                          Participant

Unless it’s changed, the standard for a 12 mile road march is 3 hours.That is for the Infantry. If they have changed it to 12 miles in 4 hours, that is a fucking stroll in the park with time to stop, drink beer and take a fucking nap.

As Max said we discussed this on Thursday. What he posted above is spot on.

You are correct, my math was off.

Keeper
                                            Participant

Oh, and try working on a farm. I’m putting in fencing. Posts. Wire. Etc. Even with a tractor for post holes and pulling wire it is exhausting. Much more like infantry work. Hours in the heat doing that is comparable to infantry defensive work.

. I agree with Max farm work is hard but enjoyable,,, to a point grew up do it and still do it to some extent here. when I retire and move back north to my farm.

tango
                                              Participant

We had an interesting discussion yesterday at the Corporate AirSim event that Scott and I were running, about all this. In summary, what is happening today is that it is being justified that cardio is out. That powerlifting can replace it. This is a mix of vanity and laziness.

You are extrapolating greatly and over exaggerating. My sandbag weighs ~75lbs – hardly powerlifting weight. None of us are trying to get yolked and look like Arnold and none of us are avoiding cardio. Slow your grumpy roll and let this play out a little.

We know the gun culture is poor choice for finding motivated like minded people.

Tango can explain if I am wrong.

If you’re looking for motivated, like-minded people I still think starting at your local Goruck club is a good place to be. Some are just cult followers of the fitness side but lots of others are veterans looking to maintain discipline and keep up PT. Some are just straight up civilians that are trying to be better Americans. Work your social skills and build.

There’s two diverging topics:

1. I think GoRuck’s events main thing is “making better Americans” or something like that. I think they’re main thing is giving people the opportunity for some real perseverance and developing teamwork.

2. “Team Gainz aka Team Massive” …Endurance/work capacity is definitely key for SUT/light infantry, in the sense you need to be able to move under load for long periods of time.

Bingo. #1 – see networking

#2 Work capacity is what I’m building here, in line with @johnnymac, due to experience from failure at one of these events. This thread is about fitness tailored to the event. How having a higher work capacity is in any way negative for anyone, I’m not sure.

This post was supposed to be about to be the hike I did on the AT this weekend. 24 miles, 3800′ elevation gain, 2 days. Pack weight 37lbs including food and water.

JohnnyMac
                                                Participant

How having a higher work capacity is in any way negative for anyone, I’m not sure.

It’s not a negative at all. Like I said, a diversified GoRuck training program is going to have better crossover to SUT than a lot of other stuff. Carry on

Max
                                                  Keymaster

Yah, I’ll get to this when in front of my computer. B-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You are extrapolating greatly and over exaggerating. My sandbag weighs ~75lbs – hardly powerlifting weight. None of us are trying to get yolked and look like Arnold and none of us are avoiding cardio.

I don’t think Max was directing that at you, but a opportunity to point out a falsehood in the wannabe so called operator world.

We are seeing a shift away from realistic use of fitness for those preparing for hostile environments. This is a separate issue from Goruck, but with some overlap.

If you’re looking for motivated, like-minded people I still think starting at your local Goruck club is a good place to be.

I don’t think it’s a bad place to look, though I suspect it will still be difficult.

I have thought the Goruck events as a possible screening tool for members, though one could create a in house test as well. Any difficult challenge to test commitment seems worthwhile.

Finding truly dedicated people has proving difficult, your choice to look in the ranks of Goruck is worth a try. ;-)

I caution against taking these side discussions personal, this Thread has just become a tool to voice some concerns regarding the direction some have taking.

This isn’t an attack, just a rational discussion that has been the catalyst for other issues as well.

tango
                                                      Participant

I don’t think Max was directing that at you, but a opportunity to point out a falsehood in the wannabe so called operator world.

I caution against taking these side discussions personal, this Thread has just become a tool to voice some concerns regarding the direction some have taking.

This isn’t an attack, just a rational discussion that has been the catalyst for other issues as well.

Roger that. Just trying to keep it on the rails. We’re tracking :good:

vagabond
                                                        Participant

From 1994-2005 we lived first outside of Belfast, N. Ireland and then in Glasgow, Scotland – all my kids were born there. But related to the topic at hand, it was most interesting to note the differences in fitness orientation between law enforcement people on each side of the Atlantic. the US: shaved headed, lifters, paramilitary presence, big and hard looking. The UK: ‘normal’ haircuts, lean, wiry, very hard to distinguish from any other decently fit looking guy; no special body language or ‘vibe.’

I’ve always been blessed with the most interesting patients and it’s a perk to be able to compare notes with intelligent and interesting people. The impressions of the Brits (to include Scots and N. Irishmen) were that American police felt it necessary to maintain a ‘presence’ of intimidation and power, but in their experience in mutual training exercises American policemen often lacked in mobility,e.g. climbing narrow stairs, hopping fences and hedgerows, and in stamina. UK policemen by contrast trained for those very things, e.g. qualities necessary for foot pursuit and apprehension, and therefore the leaner body type with more stamina.

Related to it seemed to be mind set and orientation; UK police, at least where we were – wanted to be seen and accepted as an integral part of the community in which they lived and worked, and did not want to be seen as paramilitary ‘outsiders.’ And to this point, I would rarely know if a new patient was an officer until they told me; they would present to my clinic as somebody needing help playing the bagpipes or better soccer. In other words, their perception of their mission directed their type of training.

Very fit guys too – those guys could walk through wet heather up hills like you couldn’t believe.

Max
                                                          Keymaster

@tango

Yes, I have derailed your thread. There were reasons for that. It has turned it into something other than a fitness log for your training. Sorry about that.

In summary:

I admire and encourage the fact that you are doing some training. I was stoked to hear about your 2 day hike on the AT – that is exactly what I am talking about!

I was initially concerned by your described workout with sandbags and ruck and your self-admission that it wrecked your lower back. This is an aspect of GoRuck that concerns me and I cannot get behind it. Nobody should ever be doing any kind of fitness, other than actually rucking or tabbing, while wearing their ruck.

On the one hand, you attempt to meet like-minded people via GoRuck is exactly as I have described in my recent blog posts about ‘collapse-reality’ and team building. I also fully understand and encourage your desire to build character by putting yourself through a tough event.

Just like crossfit, I am not sure GoRuck is the place, but good luck to you. Somewhere has to be the place, right? (Other than MVT of course!)

The things I have said about training and my experience are not mere ‘grumpiness’ but legitimate concerns. The reality about cardio versus strength etc. Its when i see that flip into crossfit workouts wearing rucks that I start to get alarmed.

I have toyed with the idea over the years of doing some sort of event. I tried the Rifleman Challenge. TacGun. I just don’t have the marketing power for it, and of course my events were always a little complicated and you needed to be trained to do them. I am looking at the Tactical Games with some interest. These are simple enough and combine an interest value with shooting and PT. I did get interest form the organizer about using the VTC, but it fell, away as I think he realized the site has it’s own difficulties in terms of mass parking etc. I suspect that events like that, due to the already combination of shooting and fitness, even the events are called ‘battles’, may have more of a chance of finding like minded people. This is all along the lines of run-n-guns

GoRuck Tough clearly has an element of hardness about it. I just can’t get behind it, because there literally seems to be no point. It’s hard becasue it’s hard – carry your ruck and this big log around etc.

I would love to see some more constructive events. MVT is not in a place where we can be the driver of that. I have tried before and not gained traction. That was in the days of the Rifleman’s Challenge when I tried to do it as an event ‘above and beyond’ for the so-called patriot community.

tango
                                                            Participant

Yes, I have derailed your thread. There were reasons for that. It has turned it into something other than a fitness log for your training. Sorry about that.

Appreciate this.

Today’s workout:
                                                              1 mile run (no PC)
                                                              20 min Cindy* with PC
                                                              1 mile run (no PC)

I got 10 rounds flat.

*For those who may not know: “Cindy” is AMRAP in the allotted time period of 5/10/15 Pullup/Pushup/Squat.

First Sergeant

Hey 1st Sgt. what is the load for that march?

A ruck weighing 35 pounds was the standard. That does not include helmet, weapon, water and belt kit. It is supposed to replicate what we used to call an approach march load.

I don’t know what has changed since I retired. That was the standard across the board to include EIB testing.

FILO
                                                                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                                Je ne regrette rien
                                                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

tango
                                                                Participant

Ruck Only. Add 10lbs over normal (55lbs total)
                                                                  45 min AFAP (As Far As Possible – like an AMRAP but for distance)

Throw your pack on, hit the timer, and march as far as you can in the time limit while still just walking. Do not TAB or run.

Easy one to do for Lunch Hour Power Hour. Made it ~2.8 mi

Anonymous
                                                                  Inactive

Just tossing in my $.02 as far as wildland firefighters fitness tests go. We have to do an annual 3miles in 45min. with a 45lb pack. Still people fail this every year. It is tough but not that difficult with even a little bit of training.

tango
                                                                    Participant

Saturday & Sunday:
                                                                      45lb ruck on
                                                                      45 min time hack
                                                                      Tie the rope to the sandbag
                                                                      8 Rounds:
                                                                      Bear Crawls with sandbag pull through – go until full rope extension
                                                                      Return to start, pull sandbag in by the rope
                                                                      Flip tire out & back the same distance

tango
                                                                      Participant

Lunch Hour Power Hour – Basic Ruck Workout

Do a little warm up ruck march, minimum half mile.

3 Rounds
                                                                        10x Man Makers
                                                                        10x Pack Swings
                                                                        125m Suitcase Carry, each arm

tango
                                                                        Participant

Only was able to squeeze in a 1.5 mi ruck yesterday. Regular 45lb ruck.

Perfect timing, Goruck just put out a 7 workout challenge for April. Just programmed my next 7 workouts for me.
                                                                          https://content.goruck.com/rucking-challenge/april-rucking-challenge-worksheet.pdf

Edit: Add link to demonstrations of each movement
                                                                          https://www.goruck.com/ruck-pt-foundational-movements

• #99924
                                                                          tango
                                                                          Participant

Cranked out Day #1 at lunch.

Ruck 1 mile
                                                                            10 sets:
                                                                            10 Ruck squat
                                                                            10 Ruck pushup
                                                                            10 Russian Twists

• #99925
                                                                            tango
                                                                            Participant

Day 2 Lunch Hour

5 sets:
                                                                              10 Walking Ruck Lunges
                                                                              10 Plank Pull Throughs
                                                                              10 Overhead Press
                                                                              200m Ruck (As Fast As Possible)

• #99926
                                                                              RTOhio
                                                                              Participant

I belong to a “GoRuck” team. The team is Cleveland Area Rucking Crew” with Mark Nolan and Bryan Singelyn heading it. Been to two “light” rucks and one 16 hour event overnight. Bryan is usually in charge on Ruck night which is Thursday nights. Anybody that is in Northeastern Ohio can join and stop by. Bryan’s competed in over 50 events including “Double Heavys
                                                                                (back to back)”. Molon Labe in Macedonia is our Cross fit gym. Anybody can stop by on a Thursday night starting at 1830Hrs. I love it and at my age 55 it keeps me going when my body says “No more!”

• #99927
                                                                                tango
                                                                                Participant

I belong to a “GoRuck” team. The team is Cleveland Area Rucking Crew” with Mark Nolan and Bryan Singelyn heading it.

I love it and at my age 55 it keeps me going when my body says “No more!”

Hell yeah. Thanks for chiming in! DFQ.

Lucky 7 Workout #3:
                                                                                  1 mile
                                                                                  10 sets of
                                                                                  50m suitcase carry
                                                                                  10 high pulls
                                                                                  25m bear crawls

Only had time at lunch for 5 sets, so I did another mile and 5 sets at home. Will try again for the full pull on the next circuit.

• #99928
                                                                                  tango
                                                                                  Participant

Lucky 7 Workout Day 4
                                                                                    1 Mile @ 14min pace
                                                                                    10 sets:
                                                                                    10 Thrusters
                                                                                    25m Bear Crawl
                                                                                    10 Ruck Swings

• #99929
                                                                                    tango
                                                                                    Participant

Lucky 7 Day 5:
                                                                                      Ruck 1 mile
                                                                                      10 sets:
                                                                                      10 Russian Twists
                                                                                      10 Pushups
                                                                                      10 Overhead Squats
                                                                                      Ruck 1 mile

• #99930
                                                                                      tango
                                                                                      Participant

Yesterday, Lucky 7 Day 6
                                                                                        10 sets:
                                                                                        100m Suitcase carry
                                                                                        switch hands half way
                                                                                        10 Ruck squats
                                                                                        10 Ruck Swing

Stretch day today.

• #99931
                                                                                        tango
                                                                                        Participant

Finished Day 7 on Friday:
                                                                                          Ruck 1 mile
                                                                                          10 sets:
                                                                                          10 Dead Lifts
                                                                                          10 Walking Lunges
                                                                                          10 Ruck pushups

Low impact workouts and lots of stretching from here on out.

• #99932
                                                                                          tango
                                                                                          Participant

Event complete, patch earned. Very lucky to have a stellar team of which 80% were veterans to the event and roughly 1/2 going for the HTL. Made some good connections with some tough people.

Yes, it was hard, but we also got to do some really interesting and fun things – including pool time with a Ranger Dive Qualified to instructor, a quick TCCC brief complete with NPA-ing somebody, and some schenanigans at a certain military academy.

DFQ.

• #99933
                                                                                            wheelsee
                                                                                            Participant

:good: :good: :good:

• #99934
                                                                                              JohnnyMac
                                                                                              Participant

Event complete, patch earned

Nice job dude!

• #99935
                                                                                                TC
                                                                                                Participant

Way to go! :good:

• #99936
                                                                                                  tango
                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks guys.

Hey @BrigandActual how did your Tough go?

• #99937
                                                                                                    BrigandActual
                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks guys.

Hey @BrigandActual how did your Tough go?

Unfortunately, I had to back out before it started. My back flared up again and I finally went to the doc about it. They started investigating a spinal fracture and put me on a cease and desist from working out.

Everything ended being ok, but I missed the event. I’ll pick up another one this year.

• #99938
                                                                                                      tango
                                                                                                      Participant

Monthly Rucking Challenge is another one full of things you can expect to encounter at events:

https://www.goruck.com/monthly-rucking-challenge

https://content.goruck.com/rucking-challenge/May-Honoring-Service-Rucking-Challenge.pdf

Viewing 48 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.