Good IFAK Video

View Latest Activity

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFjpZTeFm0

20 minutes and a good in depth explanation for your tribe. Your mileage will vary.

DuaneH
        Participant

I watched the whole video. I usually don’t but I was curious to see what was being taught on the interwebs.

Overall a good solid video. If you mimic his kit, you are GTG.

Couple of nit-picky items.
          1. Gloves, don’t have them in a bag. They should be easily grabbable. On the off chance that someone will actually use gloves, you don’t want them fumbling around to get them out of a bag.

2. Tourniquets. It sounded like he had a CAT TQ on his gear somewhere so it sounds like he has this covered.

The TK4 is slightly better if you have to apply a TQ one handed. Like if one arm is broken or shot.
          If your leg gets blown off, you may end up needing TWO CAT tourniquets to stop the bleeding as there are some very large arteries there. Though I have never tried it, I don’t think a TK4 would work very well for those large femoral arteries.
          I carry a TK4 in my IFAK next to my CAT tourniquet.
          Takeaway=Have a CAT tourniquet.
          3. Having watched someone try to use an Izzy as a TQ, I can tell you that is not what it was designed to do, nor did it actually work very well. It will slow down blood flow, but the thick padding prevents it from compressing the arteries sufficiently (in most cases, always an exception). The example given in the video the izzy is mid arm, where the arteries are deepest. Which is why we teach to put the TQs “High and Tight”
          Takeaway= Even though you can use the straps of the izzy with a capstan and improvise a TQ, the izzy is NOT a substitute for a CAT.

4. The following is written a little humorously:
          I am still trying to think of what organs will fit into that bag. I am thinking that if an organ is out of your body, that preserving it would be the least of your worries. I think you could fit a hypothalamus or a gallbladder in there.
          Seriously though, you could put a finger or a penis in there.

I know it’s nitpicky, but this is my lane.

Max
          Keymaster

I am still trying to think of what organs will fit into that bag. I am thinking that if an organ is out of your body, that preserving it would be the least of your worries. I think you could fit a hypothalamus or a gallbladder in there.
            Seriously though, you could put a finger or a penis in there.

:yahoo:

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.