Gmap4 = Online topos with MGRS grid + more

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Fieldcraft and Land Navigation Gmap4 = Online topos with MGRS grid + more

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Hello Everyone,

The following link starts Gmap4 (I am the developer) and displays the Google aerial for most of the USA and a MGRS grid. Keep zooming in and eventually you will get to a 100m grid.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?mgrs=14SQJ03714562&z=5&t=h

MGRS coordinates for the center of the screen and the cursor are in the lower right corner.

To see high resolution topos, first zoom in a bunch and then change the basemap to “t4 Topo High”.

You can use the Menu button to change the coordinate type to USNG, UTM or several flavors of latitude longitude. USNG is the same as MGRS except USNG is written with spaces for easily understanding.

Here is a pdf file that shows the features of Gmap4 that support MGRS/USNG coordinates:
        Corrected link: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/help_file/gmap4_usng_and_mgrs_coordinates.pdf

Gmap4 is a browser app. It runs in most browsers on most devices from smartphones to desktops and everything in between. Note that the browser does have to be online. Gmap4 does not have any offline ability.

You do not have to do anything special to look at a Gmap4 map on a mobile device. All you need to do is touch a Gmap4 link and the map will open in your mobile browser.

Gmap4 automatically displays an appropriate interface as follows:
        * Mobile devices display a touch-friendly interface
        * Desktops/laptops display a mouse-oriented interface

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, lots of example map links, step-by-step instructions for viewing a vast amount of GIS data (and overlaying a MGRS/USNG grid on any of it), documentation and more.

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Gmap4 default map of the world: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

If you are looking at a Gmap4 map then to turn on the MGRS grid simply click/touch Menu ==> UTM – USNG – LatLng ==> MGRS.

This project is part of my way to “pay it forward”. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use. It is popular with people that enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
        Redmond, WA

Corvette
        Participant

Awesome.

Great job and thanks for sharing with this grateful community! :yahoo:

USMC0331
          Participant

Thanks! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

Corvette
            Participant

Worth a Sticky: Stickied

Max
              Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words and the sticky.

volunteerveteran
                Participant

Thank you jelf, this is awesome. Anyone know how to get actual maps in MGRS – you know in the event that we don’t have access to maps. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that you can get the grid zone designator from the program…

Max
                  Keymaster

Absolutely awesome. I just used it to print out maps for my deer hunt next week and it looks great. Thanks!

Max
                    Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words and here is a tip. I recently wrote up easy directions showing how you can use Gmap4 on a smartphone or tablet even when you are offline.

You do have to go through some simple steps when you are online before you go offline. If you would like to give this a try, please visit the Gmap4 Help page and download the pdf file “How To Use Gmap4 Offline”.

Help page: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.html

Joseph

Leatherneck556
                      Participant

Is there any way to print the maps to scale? Like 1:24,000, 1:25,000, 1:50,000, etc?

Max
                        Keymaster

Is there any way to print the maps to scale? Like 1:24,000, 1:25,000, 1:50,000, etc?

Presently the answer is no.
                          The only print ability is via your browser and the result is only so-so.
                          At some point (no idea when) I might add a print feature. The are several other things I have lined up to work on next, including more features related to displaying GIS data.

Joseph

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.