Get your Kit Squared Away!

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment Get your Kit Squared Away!

• This topic has 26 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by DiznNC. This post has been viewed 1185 times
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I was just down in the bunker sorting my kit out, for potential self-defense escapades against tyranny, right here in Ole Virginny. I took some photos and thought I would use it as an excuse to talk about gear. Yay!

Anyone that knows me and follows my writings and YouTube Channel, will know that I have expressed a lot of different opinions and options with gear. Essentially, it depends on the situation. While getting this load-out squared away, with the potential to have to defend myself and community against tyranny in Virginia in 2020, I had some specific thoughts in mind. I’ll go through the rationale.

First though: my gear is all multicam, and I am putting this post out on the internet (which is always a mistake). No doubt people will have reason to take issue with that. Go for it. I don’t care. If you have kit in a certain camo pattern, and don’t want to give that overall impression, just break it up with the rest of the stuff that you wear. If you are really upset about it, rattle-can it. Moving on.

Right: Ballistic Plates. I think you would be nuts to go into the sort of situation we may have brewing here, without plates. You need a plate carrier. Ballistic plates only cover a certain area and are not foolproof, but they will seriously reduce the risk of penetrating trauma to the thoracic cavity. Yes, MVT is a dealer for the best plates on the market (ShotStop), and in this plate carrier I have the ShotStop 10×12 SAPI Cut Green Tip Plates. They each weigh 4.6 lb, which is a total weight of 9.2 lb. Worth it. These plates are also thin, and that makes a huge difference compared to some of the Green Tip type plates out there, for overall wearability and comfort. They are out of stock of shooters cut Green Tip till February, but have SAPI cut in stock. Plates HERE.

I think we may be facing a cluster of disorganized combat in urban and semi-urban environments. This will do two things: it will allow you to go relativity light in terms of sustainment gear, thus compensating for the weight of the plates. It will also mean that the more protection you can wear, the better. I have talked before about reasons why you may want to dump the plates, such as heat and operating environment. If this evolves into something more prolonged and rural, over the heat of summer, then you will need more sustainment gear and may want to sideline the plates (until needed).

Above is a front view of my plate carrier. It is a FirstSpear AAC, with the tubes (love those things). I got the option with the 3 mag pouches sewn to the front. I then took 3 x KYWI inserts and put them in the mag pouches, thus giving me kydex mag retention. I have an admin pouch up top above the mags. On bottom, I have a TQ in a little holder that I purchased.

Above is a side view of the PC. I put an additional 2 x mags on the side (under my left arm) in a tactical tailor pouch, which together with the 3 on the front makes 5 mags on the PC. 5 + 2 on the belt + 1 on the rifle= 8 mags. That is first line scales. Who is bringing the resupply?

There is a radio in the little wing pouches which hang off the side of the front plate panel, and sit under the cummerbund. Don’t get excited about the radio: it is simply a knock-off Chinese version of the 152, and works on normal civilian radio frequencies. It is hardened and a good bit of kit, and works will all military ancillaries, hence the love. Currently the antenna is routed to the back of the PC.

You can see the hydration tube coming over from the back. I only have a 1.5 liter hydration bag currently on the back of the PC.

The right side of the rig simply has a GP Pouch attached to the cummerbund. For useful stuff.

Above is a back left view, showing the Tyr Tactical zip-on Huron Assaulter Pack. There are several versions that Tyr Tactical sells, and they sell the zipper kit that will attach to a non-Tyr PC such as this FirstSpear. The compression zip on this bag is currently unzipped, giving more volume to the pack. This pack also comes with a beavertail (removable) which allows you to carry a helmet on the back. Given that if you are wearing this during the day your NODS need to go inside it and you need a way to mount them to your head, which means either carry a helmet or a nightcap. A helmet poking out the back will be a pain in the butt, but then again if it’s a firefight, you may want to put it on your head!

These assaulter packs on the back of a PC are a whole realm of pain-in-the-butt. On the one hand, they are small and thus limit the idea of carrying too much gear. They also don’t have straps, so this reduces the strappage on your shoulders. But you need a buddy to get anything out of them, as you can’t simply swing the pack down to access. You do have a buddy in a firefight, right?

However, wearing any sort of backpack over a PC is annoying, particularly when you have water in a hydration bladder. With an assaulter pack zipped on, it gets into a whole realm of fuckery. Thus, if you are going to wear a backpack, zip off the assaulter pack and put it away, and have a hydration bladder in the backpack itself. I am working with Diz on a solution for a better experience wearing a decent sized backpack over a plate carrier. Hopefully it arrives before the boogaloo!

Remember that the more kit you carry, particularly on top of a PC, will weigh you down and make you a tactical no-go. The Fight Lite concept is that you go as light as is practical to go, so long as you have with you what you need to achieve the mission.

Above: back view of the PC with the Tyr Assaulter Panel.

Above: back right view of the PC, with Tyr panel.

Below is the main photo again, with the items on the battle belt listed.

Let’s hope that getting this kit together is simply a false alarm, and the tyrants in Richmond wind their necks in and crawl back under their rocks. I really don’t want to be forced, with the rest of Virginia, into a fight to defend our Constitutional rights. One thing is certain, and that is that the leftists, and tyranny, never quit.

One thing that has so far gone unstated in this post, so I’ll get a final dig in: to carry this kit, you have to do physical fitness. You have to be in a modicum of decent physical shape. If you can’t breathe, you can’t fight. The 9.2lb for the plates is easily carried if you get in shape. Most people could probably lose that amount of body weight and carry the plates at no cost. The second part of that is training, to build skills, situational awareness, and battle sense. Without both of those, you may be able to look somewhat of the part at an armed rally, but once the rounds start flying, you’ll look like a bag of crap.

Frank Fox
        Participant

Great post, how is/are the sizing on these ?
          I have a old “cheap” plate carrier that I purchased a while back (7 years or so ago) that is starting to fall apart. I spent most of my cash at the time on the plates themselves rather then the plate carrier. Do you have a few brands that you recommend or is this your go to? Im 6’ 220 for comparison

Max
            Keymaster

Sizing should be based on plates. I wear size large 10×12 plates, which should be sized nipple to nipple. I put that in an L FirstSpear AAC. I am 5’11 and 225.

Others can talk about their experiences with other carriers.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Im 6’ 220 for comparison

The size of the plate carrier is based on your plate size. Good ones will have plenty of adjustment to hold plates in proper position.

Do you have a few brands that you recommend or is this your go to?

Like many things we all have preferences to style and brand, ask a dozen experienced people and you may get as many answers.

I prefer a more minimalist carrier like the Blue Force Gear PLATEminus. Currently on closeout for $79.00

Crye Precision has the AIRLITE SPC for $169.00.

Velocity Systems has what I consider the gold standard for light weight and standoff ventilation with their SCARAB DLX for $399.00.

Notice how the inner portion creates adjustable standoff for ventilation and a claimed 50% reduction in back face deformation when tested side-by-side against a traditional plate carrier.

There are many other quality brands and styles available.

beano
              Participant

Thanks for the insight. Looking online for a plate carrier now. As for plates, I am leaning toward III+. Within the pro community (not me), is III+ widely used, or is IV the standard? m855 would in play considering current events so III is not even an option.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…is III+ widely used, or is IV the standard?

Minimum I’d go with is ShotStop® Duritium GT (Green Tip) Plates (available from Max) the next step would be ShotStop® Duritium Level IV (thicker and slightly heavier than the GT, but lighter than others Level IV).

They are out of stock of shooters cut Green Tip till February, but have SAPI cut in stock. Plates HERE.

DiznNC
                  Participant

Good post Max. Cover the bases without getting out in the weeds. I too have posted on many different set ups over the years, but it must be emphasized here that Max is talking about what load out might be required for his most likely threat at the moment; in other words, the mission drives the gear.

I am a big fan of Brit-style belt kits and bergens, however, in this particular sit, which is potentially what many of us could face, I think Max is spot on with the load out.

I have purchased the same plates from him, and really like the new shooter’s cut, and the reasonable weight, not to mention the green tip pro. I think we all need to seriously consider this body armor as a nice blend of pro, weight, and cost.

And yeah I am working on a 35L-ish pack to work with it. The key being to integrate with the rear plate.

And yeah, I would amend the title to “get your SHIT squared away” to include the other things Max mentioned, namely physical (and mental) fitness, T,T,P’s, and weapons & equipment.

I have never seen things this sporty, in my 64 years of walking this earth.

DiznNC
                    Participant

Basic load out for today’s threat:

load out

Pretty similar to what Max has described.

tacticalhippy
                      Participant

However, wearing any sort of backpack over a PC is annoying, particularly when you have water in a hydration bladder.

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

DiznNC
                        Participant

We are working on that issue, however it is not ready for deployment at this time.

need2secede
                          Participant

Max, thanks for the post. Dangerous times ahead, and glad too see my brothers and sisters in Liberty taking such a strong stand in VA. Hopefully, the tyrants in Richmond will back down this time, but as you allude to, we all must stay vigilant…

Sorry that my question will get into the weeds here, but I had one question about one particular piece of gear in the last image of your belt. Who makes the mag carrier (2xRifle/2xPistol) you show here? Not against “cobbling” something together, but that looks like what I am looking for, and just wondering who makes that particular set up.

Finally, took the plunge a month or two ago and bought a set of the GT plates from you. Very glad I went that route, as all the benefits you describe are there (protection level, low weight, thin).

All the best to The People of VA, and I hope to come train with you sometime soon.

Max
                              Keymaster

G-code.

Frank Fox
                              Participant

Anyone have suggestions on attaching a holster to a new duty belt? The loops it came with are for 1.5” belt loop and the duty belt is 2”.
                                2” clips or loops seem to be impossible to find.

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Anyone have suggestions on attaching a holster to a new duty belt?

Brand name and model of holster?

Frank Fox
                                  Participant

I need them to be open. I cant fit the loop over the buckle. essentially i just need a kydex clip that will fit over a 2” belt size that has the mounting holes

Frank Fox
                                    Participant

Vedder light draw holster

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Vedder light draw holster

Have you contacted Vedder Holsters to ask if they have a solution?

Frank Fox
                                        Participant

I searched thier website all i could find was a 1.5 or 1.75 inch loop. But since you suggested it ill shoot them a email and see if it’s something mabye they don’t normally sell but will make one for me.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I searched thier website…

Yes, contacting them would be the first step, even if they do not have a product they may know of or adapt one for you.

Never hurts to ask and as you just posted many companies do not post everything or occasional one offs they produce.

JustARandomGuy
                                            Participant

I need them to be open. I cant fit the loop over the buckle. essentially i just need a kydex clip that will fit over a 2” belt size that has the mounting holes

“can’t fit loops over buckle”
                                              Why would you need to do that? Just turn the belt around…. ;-)

2″ Loops:
                                              holstersmith[DOT]com
                                              shopdiyholster[DOT]com

Frank Fox
                                              Participant

Thanks thoes are exactly what i was looking for!

DiznNC
                                                Participant

Just gonna throw this out there, FWIW. I think an overt/open carry holster, for tactical use, needs a more robust retention system. Back in the day, guys pistols used to litter the floor when doing CQB, with the old Eagle Mk V and similar holsters. I would think a kydex holster with just some kind of pinch retention would be very similar. The gold std is the Safariland 6000 series. I like the ALS retention system, which is pretty std these days. Also you have options for lights and RDS, if so fitted.

Obviously terrain and situation.

holster

This here is a Safariland ALS holster. It has a thumb lever that must be moved to release the pistol. Notice the hard mount which takes up to a 2 1/4″ belt. This holster is for a light and RMR. It will also take the extended bbl threads n cap.

JustARandomGuy
                                                  Participant

No problem Mok30K; hope it all gets worked out for you!

@DiznNC, what are the mag pouches on your belt?

DiznNC
                                                    Participant

Those are my own custom made my brother, but you can get pretty much sami-sami with Esstac Kywis. Just a slightly oversized mag pouch (think TT singles) with a home-made kydex insert. Or fuuggit, just go Esstac.

If we can ever get MVT gear back up and running., this would be something I’d guess would be on offer.

Works pretty good. Key is cutting it down to height where you can grab it clean, but still have good retention. And I’d add in a removable top flap w/ tuck tab closure.

Same with AR mag pouch.

Horizontal TQ pouch w/ tuck tab (Ranger Batt SOP is now 2 TQ’s, in covered pouches because of UV degradation)

Horizontal IFAK, w/ velcro closure (works mo better for vehicle ops).

And finally, can pouch (SF Ryder) w/ tuck tab.

Belt is custom one-off without molle pad. All pouches have sewn in 1 3/4″ loops. Inside pants belt (just visible) has velcro to mate with gun belt. Prototype light weight gun belt that I ended up using.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by DiznNC.
                                                      • This reply was modified 3 months ago by DiznNC.
                                                      JustARandomGuy
                                                      Participant

Those are my own custom made my brother

Seriously nice.

DiznNC
                                                        Participant

Hey thanks, they are just butt-simple, but that’s the point.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.