Fyi, steel case ammunition does not feed well in lancer mags or magpul mags

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition Fyi, steel case ammunition does not feed well in lancer mags or magpul mags

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      dnb
      Participant

From my personal experience, fyi for people who use l5 lancer mags in ar’s and magpul glock mags in glocks, these mags do not feed steel case ammo reliably. Steel cased rounds have much more friction than brass which causes rounds to get stuck in these mags. This is amplified in cold weather. It is sometimes hard to even load these mags as the rounds get bound up. My pmags have no issues.

I got 31 lancer mags used very little that need to go as I shoot lots of steel case ammo. I like the metal feed lips of the lancers, but these have nothing on pmags.

If anybody attending idaho classes wants to trade, let me know unless I can sell them before then.

frostysilverback
        Participant

I’ve had good results with steel cased silver bear (zinc washed steel case) and golden bear steel cased ammo (cooper washed steel case) in Lancer mags. I’ve had the same experience you’ve have using lacquer coated and polymer coated steel cases ammo in lancer mags.

That said, lancers run flawlessly for me using m193 and m855.

Mike Q
          Participant

I use Lancers and run wolf military classic with zero issues.

RotorHead
            Participant

I also use Lancers and run Wolf and Silver Bear with no problems. I know another who runs Lancers and runs Golden Tiger with no problems. You are correct in that if it doesn’t work do something different. Brings home the point of running your gear hard to ensure it does function properly.

dnb
              Participant

Thanks for your experiences. A test is to put about 20 rounds in the mag, toss it in the freezer. Next day, take mag out of freezer, press down. Mags I have, the rounds get stuck. Either they stay down or very slowly work their way up. Near zero temps, the mags are unusable. Hot temps, questionable.

Also some of the mags have significant play foreword and back play when in the magwell. So much that if I was benched in a putting forward pressure on the mag the bolt would skip over the round. Dd, psa, and colt lowers.

Good note above that zinc coating such as silver bear do not have this issue.

Corvette
                Participant

Spray dry lube in the Magpul Glock mag bodies and the steel will feed fine. We’ve had this issue in our group recently and this solved the problem.

dnb
                  Participant

Thx for insight. Only have 4 magpul glock mags. So not a big deal. They are tagged for range mags only. Good thing factory glock mags are solid.

Don’t have much use for mags or guns that need special care, too much hassle. Pretty disappointed in lancers after all the great reports, especially with 31 purchased. Wtf, brass round only mags.

Have piss poor experience with lowa boots. Two pairs squeak and one pair makes a slight sound. Unsuccessful trying to get them gtg. Next…

Max
                    Keymaster

There’s a lesson here: stop using steel case or laquer type ammo. We keep telling you.

You can get well priced brass training ammo, such as PMC Bronze.

I run Lancer mags as my favorite and also have a number of PMags. Never a problem.

Dnb: are you saying you are on the Idaho classes? I can’t put screen name to real name. If so, have you read the packet and ammo requirements?

Bottom line, we have been warning you off steel cased for a long time. People do not listen. You can get budget brass case.

Carry on.

:scratch:

ffhounddog
                      Participant

I used wolf, and the only issues I had were when Max had us do failure drills, should not have used the rusty stuff from a rainy cookout 5 months earlier (rust bad). But I agree it’s a little rougher on steel on steel lancer gen 1’s I was running with my orange D&H mags no issues.

I wonder how my pink mags are going to be next to my orange ? ones :-) yes I bought pink mags for giggles.

I used my Troy rifle next class my LWRCi 10.5.

dnb
                        Participant

Bottom line is if you run lancers mags, better hope you never have to run steel case ammo, especially in cold weather.

Lancers suck getting into pouches to as they have a sharp edge below the magwell that likes to catch. They need a chamfer.

Yes on packet btw. 3000 ft/s is threshold and no steel core.

Suggest tack weld sacrificial steel targets to preserve the special targets. The idpa ar 500 targets are 50 buck on Amazon. That will preserve the targets long term.

First Sergeant

I don’t know how many times we have to say it.

STOP USING STEEL CASED AMMO.

With the prices now you are not saving money. Why? Because of the premature wear on your AR’s.

AR’s were designed to use brass cased ammo.

But what the hell do I know.

FILO
                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

dnb
                            Participant

Yeah 10-4. Post was fyi only. Brass is better, but it is a soft design constraint. I’ll use any thing that is reliable and groups well.

I have not experienced any wear that concerns me and know a company that have run the piss out of their guns they make for a decade, Aks and ars, full auto, semi, whatever, with any type ammo they like, brass or steel with huge round counts. When they fail, they fix them.

Run the piss out of your rifles til they fail or wear down, fix them, repeat.

First Sergeant

Yeah 10-4. Post was fyi only. Brass is better, but it is a soft design constraint. I’ll use any thing that is reliable and groups well.

I have not experienced any wear that concerns me and know a company that have run the piss out of their guns they make for a decade, Aks and ars, full auto, semi, whatever, with any type ammo they like, brass or steel with huge round counts. When they fail, they fix them.

Run the piss out of your rifles til they fail or wear down, fix them, repeat.

I know I am going to regret this, but what the hell is a “soft design constraint”?

FILO
                                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Corvette
                                Participant

No idea what that means.

Our guys with the steel case ammo got it by mistake -hitting the wrong button when ordering. Lesson learned there.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.