Forum Participation

View Latest Activity

Home Forums MVT News & Training Updates Forum Participation

• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by  SeanT. This post has been viewed 384 times
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I posted this elsewhere, but I will copy it in here. Seems a good time with the transition to the new format:

But it’s indicative of a wider issue on this forum: lurking and not taking part. I think Joe is single handedly responsible for most content and activity on this forum, aside from my updates and posts.

Guys, it’s a forum. Not a place for lurking. The forum was originally conceived as an alternative posting location for blog articles, to allow discussion without my needing to moderate each comment.

Yes, we want you to be more active. Yes, there will still be moderation. No, we will not let you take the forum to the crazy place where I know you want to take it. Keep it engaged, rational, and constructive.

JohnnyMac
        Participant

No, we will not let you take the forum to the crazy place where I know you want to take it.

Haha!

BrigandActual
          Participant

You’re not the only one experiencing this. I’ve noticed a lot of gun-related forums growing quieter and quieter lately, unless you’re ARFCOM (which seems to be doing its best to drive away members).

I don’t know if it’s a summer slump, or fear of getting “red flagged” for participating in 2A interests, or what.

arealcorker
            Participant

Just been getting busier and busier with life and trying to cut back on phone and computer time. But I like to check in and get a pulse for what s going on.

Hessian
              Participant

You’re not the only one experiencing this. I’ve noticed a lot of gun-related forums growing quieter and quieter lately, unless you’re ARFCOM (which seems to be doing its best to drive away members).

I don’t know if it’s a summer slump, or fear of getting “red flagged” for participating in 2A interests, or what.

Forums are not as popular with younger people (people under 30). Even the few FB gun/gear groups I belong to have also seen a hit in activity in the past 12+ months (Ive also reduced my FB usage drastically in the past 2 months to a few mins a week).

I believe its more due to the “youth” getting their info and using platforms like Instagram, and YouTube. The forum is a very old platform that doesn’t give the younger kids that instant gratification.

veritas556
                Participant

Forums are not as popular with younger people (people under 30).

Spot on. Lack of insta-gratification is indeed a problem. Private FB groups still have good activity but… its FB. There really is a black hole when it comes to platforms that can provide RT comms and engagement and are not wired directly to the NSA. The sites that have tried to fill this void quickly become filled with Nazis and other basement-undesirables so… here we are.

contentneaman
                  Participant

Sorry to say but I have been a long time lurker. I have been a member of the forum almost from the beginning. I was around before the lite fighter concept and we were all using old Alice gear belts with dual canteen pouches and butt packs being held up with h-harnesses. I gladly paid when the pay wall was put in place. I believe the wealth of knowledge from people on this forum is priceless. Guess I have never posted anything before because I have never felt as knowledgeable as most here. I can’t ever seem to get my shit together to attend a class (money, family, and moving)so that may have something to do with it. I did purchase “Contact” and “Patriot Dawn” when they were first released and one of the first SOR rigs. This forum has motivated me to lose 50lbs and get into the best shape of my life at the age of 36 thanks to folks like Johnnymac. I will try and get more involved with the group and not make an ass of myself along the way.

Sitting Duck
                    Participant

I comment way more than I should. Beyond the Government Social Score/red flag risk is the fact that questions have been taken as ‘know it already’ antagonistic instead of being recognized as asking for instruction. (Linear danger area crossings….. guess I’ve got some reading on my own. I’d hoped for a link to a previous blog post or a Contact page, but got flamed for asking.) I get it; I’m not going to be part of the club.

The entire Instagram (I’m not on that) thing has been a big turn off.

Hopefully this format can be developed beyond the wonderful bumps of Joe (he wrote and linked a lot of interesting things, please keep up the good work.).

Max
                        Keymaster

Need to get into your mind about why the IG thing is a turn-off? There seems to be a lot of projection going on about this, and some seem to not be able to understand the myself, and MVT in general has been trying to wake people up and do some good.

Why did you get flamed? Copy or link it.

Sitting Duck
                            Participant

This is a short, time limited reply, do not consider it complete.

IG battle.

1. I’m entering the equivalent of The battle of the Somme stage of the war and have no idea how it progressed to what it is.

2. “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.” Applies to students and most disciplines. The sign of an excellent teacher is to generate “thirst”.

If the battle on IG is the need for more than square range speed shooting but tactics (especially as a unit vs lone Wolf) then it looks like Vietnam, or trying to convert ISIS into a feminists.

There is a progression of mental development. Understanding where someone starts can help to direct that development. I will take an example from the NY State Hunter education manual. 1st Shooting stage, 2nd Limiting out (bag limit success) 3rd Trophy stage, 4th Method stage (primitive weapons) 5, Sportsman stage.

Not everyone is ready for the Why’s and Wherefore, the trick is to get them to seek and accept it when they are exposed.

Skinny jeans will definitely be a hindrance for dragging someone you love to cover, but attacking the fashion probably isn’t going to get that “horse to drink”.

lucky_luke
                          Participant

Ive been going back and reading older forum posts for more knowledge but when i go to comment ill see that its from 2017 or something and then it feels kinda odd to make a comment on it. Ive also been doing alot of reading in books. Specifically fitness books and podcasts. Im over weight and out of anything close to fighting shape and am trying really hard to work on that while im in school so that i have no excuse to not come to the first class offered as soon as i graduate. Also, ive been spending my time on the ig war and neglecting the forum because of it. But i will make an effort to spend more time centering all MVT related outlets in my social media time.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ive been going back and reading older forum posts for more knowledge but when i go to comment ill see that its from 2017 or something and then it feels kinda odd to make a comment on it.

I am glad your checking out the older posts, There is a ridiculous amount of great information that’s already been writtwn.

Posting comments or asking questions on any Thread regardless of age is to be encouraged!

There is no such thing as a dead thread here at MVT!

There is always something to add, something new to be learned, and even in some cases things need to be updated with current information!

We need people doing this!

I regularly bump Threads from the past, but I am only one person.

There is much great information that’s dormant that people need to see!

wheelsee
                              Participant

Joe demonstrates the importance of updating old thread in the “Utilizing Medics” post. My source book is outdated and Joe gave updated resource material. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough (especially in medicine).

Civilianresponder
                                Participant

Pretty boring on the forum when no one comments on posts. :negative:

DiznNC
                                  Participant

Hey man this ain’t SocNet; you aren’t gonna get smoked for asking a question. If you do, then it was something really beyond the pale, or maybe you just caught someone on a bad day. If you feel “unworthy” of posting, hey just say so, and ask questions anyways. Lotsa good info on working out, losing weight here. Among other things. Nobody is a CAG/DevGru stud here. We are all at different points along to the path to warrior bad-ass-ness.

RobRoy
                                    Participant

You can participate on Full30 as well, Max has posted at least one video I have found. Of course at that outlet there will be a high derp ratio simply because it is the usual gun sellers outlet meaning buy more guns stand at square range and then blast away till bored then buy more guns repeat.

Max
                                        Keymaster

I just had my channel approved on Full 30, last week, and I am steadily uploading videos. At least they will exist there if YouTube kicks me off.

Not much in the way of comments, a couple of dumbass ones on my last video, the lone wolf break contact. Just uploaded the lone wolf assault. It’s just the usual DKWYDK comments that assume everything is in one video, and have no idea of what MVT is and the backstory and books and general output of tactical / prepper info that I have been doing since 2012.

SeanT
                                        Keymaster

I try to participate here when I can. I like the forum format. The quality of the information presented in this forum is excellent. Joe does a fantastic job of bumping older items and I second the sentiment that there is no such thing as a necropost…. that is an artifact of the shithead forums. If new readers ‘fear’ the S E A R C H N 0 0 B ! reply, they should not. I will moderate that sort of nonsense if I see it and the other Mods will too. I encourage searching and reading old threads and reviving the conversation because we all need reminders or have learned something new to add.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.