Flying in for Training

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Essential Information for MVT Classes Flying in for Training

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 759 times
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      12aklabs
      Participant

I am finally able to take the upcoming RS/CTT at Romney in July :yahoo: and I was wondering what airport to fly into?
        Any other advice on traveling with firearms would be great.

Thanks

Robert
        Participant

Dulles/IAD is probably the closest. Me and the boy flew up last fall for FOF. Dulles wasn’t exactly the easiest airport to fly with a weapon however. They have a pretty complicated process compared to some other airports. Just plan a few more minutes when your leaving for it.

Get on Hwy 50 and it’s a straight shot over to Romney.

As far as flying with firearms, double check the carrier’s website and PRINT what they state. You’ll often run into some dunskie airline employee that doesn’t even understand either the FAA rules nor even their airlines rules about flying with weapons.

Locked case, keep ammo separate, pay for the insurance on the case. They will start off with “your bags are insured to $3500. already” cause most don’t like filling out the insurance forms. Tell them it’s worth $4K or at least $3,600. Pay the extra couple of bucks (I’ve paid as little as a dollar for this) and get a receipt for the insurance. What I’ve found is that the case is then (usually) hand carried and watched by someone or left at the airline baggage office, versus just rolling around on the conveyor. That’s nice in a place like Vegas where people are coming and going like mad.

Ship your ammo to the hotel your staying at ahead of time and let the manager know to expect it, or ship it to Max far enough ahead of time.

I try to keep my carry on bags completely free of anything gun related. I was pulled off to the side and had all my bags wiped one time and they were acting really sketchy about it. One guy came up and was a little more calm, he asked me “are you a shooter?” I said yes and immediately knew what he meant “yeah this bag has probably been at the range with me.” He stopped wiping it right then, smiled and let me go.

wheelsee
          Participant

. Ship your ammo to the hotel your staying at ahead of time and let the manager know to expect it, or ship it to Max far enough ahead of time.

If you’re going to do this, you might as well buy new and have it shipped directly. Take advantage of some with “free shipping”, such as here https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf-gold-223-remington-ammo-55-grain-fmj-wg59-p-4316.aspx

tango
            Participant

What a great thread! When flying:
              – How do you get your LBE gear from Pt. A to Pt. B?
              – Can you fly with your rifle as checked baggage? Just like you would a pistol?
              – If not able to check a rifle for flight, how do you get it to your destination?
              – Can LBE be checked or shipped with mags included?
              – Food shopping is done at destination?

First Sergeant

What a great thread! When flying:
                – How do you get your LBE gear from Pt. A to Pt. B?
                – Can you fly with your rifle as checked baggage? Just like you would a pistol?
                – If not able to check a rifle for flight, how do you get it to your destination?
                – Can LBE be checked or shipped with mags included?
                – Food shopping is done at destination?

1. Fly with it in checked baggage.
                2. Check it in a lockable case. Put mags in with the rifle.
                3. See #2.
                4. Yes. Better to put the mags in with the rifle.
                5. Yes.

FILO
                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
                Participant

What First said is correct and has worked for me on more than 1 occasion.

If you watch Gander Mt. stores, sometimes the big rifle Pelican cases are on sale for $199. or on Ebay for similar. They have wheels on the bottom and will hold 2 rifles, have places for locks, etc.

When we fly up for FOF last October we just brought one extra big A suitcase and put our chest rigs, helmets and mags in there. Separate small pelican case for a couple pistols and then we both carried small packs on the plane with changes of civy clothes. Rented a Jeep just outside of Dulles with 5 miles on it, got it muddy as hell in Romney (felt bad about that) but it was fun to drive!

Get your groceries at the Food Lion after leaving El Puente :)

SeanT
                  Keymaster

. Ship your ammo to the hotel your staying at ahead of time and let the manager know to expect it, or ship it to Max far enough ahead of time.

If you’re going to do this, you might as well buy new and have it shipped directly. Take advantage of some with “free shipping”, such as here https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf-gold-223-remington-ammo-55-grain-fmj-wg59-p-4316.aspx

That is a good price for that ammo, last time I bought a case it was 329 shipped for the case.

HiDesertRat
                    Participant

You are covered for transport of firearms under the federal law, FOPA, the Firearms Owners Protection Act. Know the rules of your airline before traveling, and as noted above, print them up.

Have your rifle in a durable, lockable case, unloaded (Pelican are the best, hands down). I threaded a cable lock through the action also to make it easier for anyone to discern it is unloaded.

At the airport (no curbside checkin allowed for this, go inside to the counter), having the rules of your carrier in hand, just in case, declare to the airline staff you are in possession of a firearm. Someone from the airline will inform TSA to inspect it, in your presence. Unlock it, and keep the key. DO NOT LET THEM REMOVE THE BOX/CONTENTS WITHOUT YOU BEING PRESENT. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE KEY.
                      NO LABEL OR STICKER ON THE OUTSIDE DECLARING IT CONTAINS A FIREARM IS PERMISSIBLE NOR REQUIRED. When inspection completed, lock it, and retain the key. At some point it will leave your presence to go into checked baggage. When you arrive, there may be a special area of the airline carrier where it will be, and sometimes not.

Be informed about the rules of the carrier, the TSA. Be courteous, and try to look clean and respectable. I think it helps. If you encounter any difficulties with any particular individual, ask for their supervisor, whether its the carrier or TSA staff. Sometimes you will encounter someone you just doesn’t have a clue.

Agree with above, ship your ammo ahead, easier, plus it weighs a lot.
                      One last thing to schlep around.

12aklabs
                      Participant

Great advice. Thanks. I am coming from Alaska and flying part way via Alaska Airlines so that helps. I am landing at Charlotte, NC. Never been to WV or that area so the drive will allow me to get a gander at the country.

I am however shifting carriers mid way so that poses another question….can the rifle be checked all the way through?

I have shipped ammo to Max and it should be there tomorrow. Early I know but better early then late or not showing up at all.

As for my chest rig and BB I plan on putting that into a suitcase with some extra cloths, IFAK and camelback. I have a Cabelas pelcan type case for the rifle.

I will print out the TSA and airline rules on transporting a firearm. Also getting insurance is a wonderful idea that I never thought of.

Getting excited about finally getting to go to VTC and meet you all.

Robert
                        Participant

The transfer shouldn’t be a problem.

Your ending up arriving in Charlotte or transfer in Charlotte?

Charlotte is probably still 6 hour drive from Romney IIRC. Charlotte is where I try to overnight on the way back from Romney as it’s about half way for me.

Dulles (IAD) is the closest airport to Romney I believe. Reagan Airport is inside the city, so you don’t want to fly in there.

12aklabs
                          Participant

I fly from Anchorage, AK to Chicago OHare on Alaska Airlines then transfer to American Airlines for the flight to Charlotte. I didn’t want to deal with MD.

Hard to be patient.

gramma
                            Participant

Check into a puddle jumper commuter flight to Weyers Cave, Va, Winchester, VA or Martinsburg, WV. I DON’T know what’s available from Charlotte. These are small airports, so it might not be possible. Just throwing out the possibility because it will cut a lot of time driving. IMO, Charlotte is a lot longer drive than 6 hrs.

First Sergeant

You can check your rifle all the way through.

FILO
                                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Roadrunner
                                Participant

The posts above appear to be solid info. IAD seems to be the best, closest airport.

I did notice two things that might be inaccurate:

Reagan National airport (DCA) is in Virginia. You don’t enter DC until you get on the bridge over the Potomac. As long as you leave the airport heading west you’ll stay out of the District.

Someone mentioned FOPA, the Firearms Owners Protection Act. This applies to driving in a personal vehicle, I don’t believe it applies as an airline passenger. This becomes an issue when the airline takes you somewhere you didn’t want to go, i.e. a diversion to Newark or Baltimore due to weather or mechanical issues. If this happens to you while traveling with a firearm, ammo, or magazines in your checked luggage, please DO NOT pick up your bags at baggage claim. Advise the airline that they will have to hold them. People have been arrested and successfully prosecuted for this at New York airports. It is a problem at several others like Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, and everywhere in California.

Enjoy your trip and your training.

This isn’t legal advice, check everything for yourself, YMMV, etc.

Max
                                  Keymaster

Dulles is in Northern VA and has been used numerous times by students flying in. It is about a 2 hour drive from the VTC.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.