Flir Breach from Robert at JRH Enterprises

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Flir Breach from Robert at JRH Enterprises

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Civilianresponder
      Participant

I just got the new Flir Breach monocular a few weeks ago and wanted to let everyone know that Robert from JRH really came through! It is an awesome piece of equipment and a definite force multiplier. Robert gave me great advice and kept me from buying an inferior piece of gear. If y’all aren’t using Robert as a resource you are missing out, The customer service was great and the advice was much appreciated. A quick side note on the Breach….. in some circumstances it is almost like having x-ray vision when looking at people so act accordingly! B-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have always had a positive experience with JRH and this was years before this Forum existed!

It would be great if you did a review on this, no rush or pressure. ;-)

Doesn’t have to be all encompassing, just initial impressions and update as/if you discover features or uses.

Civilianresponder
          Participant

Will do as soon I have time to use it more.

Robert
            Participant

Thanks very much, appreciate the business and the kind words!!!

Keeper
              Participant

Just watched the PROMO for it. Great item to add to the kit

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So how do these compare size wise to PVS14’s?

RobM
                  Participant

I really hate to be that guy…so I’m new to the night vision and thermal field and trying to do some research for a while now. Is there already a topic on night vision vs. thermal on the forum? I’ve searched and haven’t come up with the best results. I’d really like to get everyone’s opinion that have knowledge in the matter, as I value educated answers. I’m back and forth on PVS-14 or Flir Breach. I currently have neither and would eventually like both. Would having a forum topic benefit anyone else other than me? Something maybe that shares more opinions rather than pros/cons.I suppose pros/cons do fall into opinions.. Thoughts?

RobM
                    Participant

Think I may have found something already on the forum but was more curious to the Flir Breach vs. PVS14.

JohnnyMac
                      Participant

https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/considerations-for-night-operations-updated/

https://maxvelocitytactical.com/2014/07/28/night-vision-practical-gear-use-1-by-chris/

My personal opinion is to get PVS14, then thermal. Thermal is awesome for spotting people, animals and equipment that generates heat, but a PVS14 allows you to avoid a stick to the balls on a dark night in the woods :whistle:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Think I may have found something already on the forum but was more curious to the Flir Breach vs. PVS14.

Just remember the Breach is pretty new.

Here are some links related to night operations, though remember thermal is effective in daytime.

Also remember some of this information changes with new gear etc…read something your unsure about just ask.

Considerations for Night Operations

24-26 May Patrol Class AAR and Night Patrol Tips

Night vision

Night Vision Set-up article by Chris

Lee Sends: Old School vs. GWOT: Comparison My Comment

NV or Thermal? WWMD?

Thermal Suit vs. MVT Shield

RobM
                          Participant

Thanks Fellas!

Robert
                            Participant

I get this question “NV vs. Thermal” on a daily basis.

Different technologies and they do different jobs.

Thermal is great for DETECTION, i.e, there is a heat source. But they are poor for IDENTIFICATION. At 100 yards, is that the neighbor’s German Shepherd or a Wolf? Most thermal units would not be able to make that distinction, NV would.

Thermal is poor for navigation, hard to walk around in the woods at night with thermal up to your eye or drive. Doing these tasks with a PVS14 are simple once you have some experience.

So yeah the simple answer is get both. If I had to do everything over again, I would do it the same way- get a PVS14 first, then later a thermal unit to augment it. We have tracked purchase patterns over the years and this is how most people do it as well.

Check out some of the links Joe listed, there is a wealth of info here regarding the subjects. If you have specifics feel free to email me or post them here, I try to check the forums a couple times a day.

Robert
                              Participant

So how do these compare size wise to PVS14’s?

7 ounces and slightly smaller than a PVS14.

The only complaint I’ve heard about the Breach is that it tends to be a battery hog! A lot of folks are using the little Anker power pack deal to run them or the new Thermosight PRO PTS233

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/FLIR-Thermosight-PRO-PTS233-60-HZ-TAB173WN9RX0011.htm

I have a customer in MS that has built his own Anker power pack setup and sent me links to all the components, etc. for that very cheap!. Beats the hell out of paying $100. for some cool daddy “tacticool” version made in China with some schmoes name on it!!! If anyone needs that info feel free to email me and ask and I’ll forward the wordpad file regarding it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Robert the DIY battery idea was one of my first thoughts when hearing about battery use.

Have you tried it on head/helmet mount in daytime?

I was wondering how the eye/brain integration worked in daytime, it seems to me that with say a PVS14 mounted, slight variations are less of a issue at night. Not sure if I am getting my point across?

A other thought I had; even though a long shot since many variables involved, is trying a PVS14 on one eye and Breach on other to see if it just happened to visually blend? Again probably a long shot, but can’t hurt to try. ;-)

Robert
                                  Participant

Some people are doing a dual bridge setup with the 14 on one eye and the Breach on the other. I have not done this yet so I can’t really speak to that.

First pic is up close, about 20 yards. Winter (S. GA) weather.

Second pic is 200 yards, black hot.

All taken with the Breach.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.