First buy is hydration system?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment First buy is hydration system?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      leam
      Participant

I’m building my kit for hot and humid outdoors. While the major operational need is “hydration, calories, and keep up with the wife”, I’m using “tagging along with her” as an excuse a logical reason to build my kit. :D

Usage scenarios:

• Hiking around with wife: need water, compass, radio (?), food, utility tool, IFAK
        • NRL22 matches: pouches for Ruger 10/22 mags (about the size of a large egg)
        • Training class: full size rifle mags, pistol holster, ???

First need seems to be a hydration system. Parameters are:

• It will fit into the overall future kit
        • It can hold 3-5 energy bars or similar
        • There are ways to attach a couple small pouches up front
        • It allows rifle use from both shoulders
        • Style: I’m going OD or tan. Everyone else is TacBlack or Campy-o-flage

I’ve watched a couple of Max’s Fight Lite videos. It would make sense for the battle belt to have shoulder straps, and have the hydration system attach to that. Local law prohibits open carry, so not sure what to do on that, for non-tactical use.

wheelsee
        Participant

What environment are you already in?? arid, humid, cold, hot, etc…. Country, city, suburb, etc…..

How likely are you to need water now??

How long are your walks (hikes)??

Mission ALWAYS drives answers –

Examples
          1. urban, hot, humidity < 50%, 1 hr walks, short loops – drink water before leaving, put a water bottle in a cargo pocket. Concealed carry if able, good walking stick if not. IFAK

2. country, 40F, humidity 65%, 3 hr walk, long loop – Camelbak (or similar), compass, IFAK, emergency shelter, 2-way radio (properly programmed), conceal carry, and leave a note of your route in an easily found place.

3. inner city, 100F, humidity 95%, long loop or maze – dirty clothes, camelbak (or similar) under your long-sleeve shirt, conceal carry if able, DEEP carry if not (your call), grocery cart half full of “stuff”

It all depends……

leam
          Participant

Conditions at 1700: 92 degrees F, Humidity 65%, Heat Stress 108 equivalent. It’s already cooling off. :)

Live in the burbs. Wife likes to walk local park trails for an hour, or spend 3-5 hours in flat rough terrain doing photography. As health improves I expect to be conned into longer walks over mildly uneven terrain. Part of the plan is to buy before I need so I can get used to it. Next year maybe car camping and longer walks over rougher trails.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am still partial to CamelBak products however there are many other quality manufacturers.

CamelBak has a feature called HydroGuard in some of their reservoirs.

HydroGuard Technology, which inhibits the growth of bacteria on reservoir and tube surfaces. Does not protect user from bacteria or other disease-causing organisms

Other manufacturers make similar under different names, I consider this a must have item for me. Basically it protects against my screw ups. If I inadvertently leave water in reservoir it prevents gunk from forming. It doesn’t clean water it just helps keep interior clean.

I like 3 liter capacities with large fill openings.

In really hot weather you can fill reservoir with ice and top off with water and have cold water for quite some time.

Get in the habit of burping air out of reservoir to prevent sloshing noise, obviously it doesn’t matter for recreation, but a good habit for when it matters.

I prefer a small daypack with compression straps for when extra room isn’t needed, but I bicycle a lot and this gives me options if I buy something when out and about. Many prefer the dedicated small hydration packs with room for some small extras like you describe.

There are so many available it is hard to truly say “this is what you need” just buy a quality brand. That doesn’t mean expensive, deals are always available to patient shoppers.

Some of the better hunting/sporting goods stores have a larger selection, allowing you to try a few on to get a feel for what you find comfortable. Then start searching for deals.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.