Field gun competition

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Field gun competition

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

This one is a bit random, but I was reminded of this by something I saw on the internet, and this is just for interest value only. Looking at the Wikipedia article, it even mentions Wellington College, where I went to school.

Wikipedia Entry

Excerpt:

The origins of the field gun competition lie in the Second Boer War in South Africa. The legendary story tells of the siege of the British garrison in Ladysmith in 1899. In support of the British Army, the Royal Navy landed guns from HMS Terrible and Powerful to help in the relief of the siege. The Naval Brigade transported guns over difficult terrain and brought them into action against the Boers.

The Royal Navy landed two 4.7-inch (120 mm) guns and four 12-pounder naval guns creating improvised field guns using makeshift gun carriages. The guns were transported inland by rail and then drawn on makeshift carriages by oxen. For the final part of the journey, sailors from the Naval Brigade manhandled the guns over very difficult terrain. One story tells of sailors carrying one of the 12-pounder guns for 2 miles (3.2 km) after one of the wheels collapsed.

The siege of Ladysmith lasted for 120 days until February 1900. On their return home, the sailors from the Naval Brigade paraded their guns through London and appeared at the Royal Naval and Military Tournament at the Agricultural Hall, Islington. Displays of field gun drill continued in subsequent years.

farmer
        Participant

Now there is teamwork, communication, & fitness. Also, I would think tactics are involved also.

:good:

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.