Experience/opinions on PSA .308

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Experience/opinions on PSA .308

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert
      Participant
        First Sergeant

I have been seeing reports of issues with these.

If you want a .308 AR, go with a different company.

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
          Participant

Roger that.

I’ve owned and still owned a lot of the more common .308 semi autos over the last couple decades- HK91, FN FAL, M1A, AR10 variant.
            I have not found one that is remotely reliable enough to be considered for the field. It’s disappointing as hell!

First Sergeant

What was the issue with the HK-91? Was it a true HK or Century Arms?

I have an HK-91 and have experience with the G-3. Both are damn good rifles.

FILO
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
              Participant

1974 original HK91 paid $1700 for it in 1996

Jammed like a f#$cker, multiple ammo types and as you know, cheap Russian ammo wasn’t even available then.

Bad part is I sold it for $1500. in 2001 when I needed cash. Don’t regret that as much as selling a pristine IMI model B I had though- although that was a lot less useful in a SHTF situation.

Virgil Kane
                Participant

What issues have you had with the FAL? They are typically very reliable.

I like the idea of an AR10, but the lack of standardization of mags and parts has left me apprehensive. I’ve decided to stick with the FAL for .308.

Robert
                  Participant

What issues have you had with the FAL? They are typically very reliable.

I like the idea of an AR10, but the lack of standardization of mags and parts has left me apprehensive. I’ve decided to stick with the FAL for .308.

Have had two FALs over the years, neither true FNs so that might be the problem. First one was total FUBAR. 2nd one seemed to work alright IIRC.

You know me, I expect AK reliability out of everything and it would seem that’s not very realistic with most firearms.

Polynikes
                    Participant

I have a fair amount of experience with .308 “battle rifles” over the past few years (in a sporting/training/recreational fashion just to be clear and transparent). I did carry and use the HK G3 and FN FAL in an official capacity a long time ago in a place far away, but I’m not a sentimental guy so here it goes.

I’ve bought, upgraded/modified and sold several of them, and have seen a large number coming through classes. To summarize my observations:
                      – DI AR-10’s are generally unreliable, in both custom/home-built and factory versions. Too many issues to list, and most of them just can’t make it through the first couple of hours of a low-speed class.
                      – The venerable FAL’s and M14’s fare better, but are freakin’ heavy (and somewhat outdated in terms of ergonomics). I’ve seen issues with FAL’s that are not properly built (i.e. Frankenstein types).
                      – A couple of HK 91’s I’ve seen ran fine, so Robert’s experience could be attributed to a “lemon”. Their general reputation as TEOTWAWKI rifles is justified in my opinion.
                      – At the risk of being Captain Obvious here, I’ll say that the SCAR 17 is the king of this category. I’ve sold every other .308 I’ve had and I’m solely a SCAR guy when it comes to the .308 battle rifle. I know it’s not cheap, but it will run reliably – and with modern ergonomics.
                      – In terms of other modern non-SCAR alternatives (in piston), I would take a real good look at the PWS platform, and maybe the LWRC (although I’ve seen issues with those as well). I’m keeping an eye on the POF Revolution due to its true AR-15 footprint and weight, but I’d like to see some more data on it before making a call.

My $.02 here for what it’s worth.

First Sergeant

@Robert, That’s unfortunate. You are the first that I have heard that had issues with an HK-91. The Century Arms ones I have heard of a lot of issues.
                        Maybe you are cursed. ;-)

My experience with the G-3 and the HK-91 mirror @Polynikes.

FILO
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Maybe you are cursed.

I have considered this too! ;-)

Never know one individual with such poor weapon performance.

Polynikes
                          Participant

Never know one individual with such poor weapon performance.

Maybe it’s not the weapons… :-)

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.