Dyeing ACUs

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 months, 1 week ago by Anonymous. This post has been viewed 330 times
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

This seem to be a solid video on how to dye ACUs, since they’re stupid cheap and for all their faults ACUs have a good cut.

So when the boogaloo kicks off you and your friends can all be little green men.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen folks dye ACUs, I assume this would be the same results color-wise for ABUs, with the added benefit of a cool digital tigerstripe pattern that the Air Force somehow managed to fuck up with UCP colors. Very convenient for me since I just picked up some ABU pants at a Salvation Army for four bucks precisely to rit dye.

I found this from this video if you want a visual comparison to stock UCP (granted cameras can’t really capture things the way the human eye can) I’m a nerd for different patterns and this guy does a lot of camo comparison videos.

Not sure if this has been discussed before in a separate thread, feel free to merge if so but I couldn’t find any equivalent threads.

Civilianresponder
        Participant

ID be concerned about the IR signature of the dies. It may be a non issue but something to think about.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

ID be concerned about the IR signature of the dies.

Just check it out with any sensors you have available. Sure it would be nice to be able to do a more through check, but since this is a budget option you can only go so far.

My experience with dyeing ACU’s green makes them resemble to old Desert Storm night camo. Flat spray paint can add some contrast if desired.

Most better quality modern hunting camo has good NIR performance since many game animals have vision outside of our range. Something to consider when at thrift stores, etc…

Anonymous
            Inactive

We used cheap Chinese bootleg camo uniforms (or even cheaper local uniforms) in Syria and hand-washed them with detergent with optical brighteners, when we looked at each other through night vision we weren’t lighting up like Christmas trees or anything.

Obviously if I had access to night vision now I’d take the opportunity to go over any gear I have but I think the issue of damaging IR signatures is probably a tad overhyped.

First Sergeant

We used cheap Chinese bootleg camo uniforms (or even cheaper local uniforms) in Syria and hand-washed them with detergent with optical brighteners, when we looked at each other through night vision we weren’t lighting up like Christmas trees or anything.

Obviously if I had access to night vision now I’d take the opportunity to go over any gear I have but I think the issue of damaging IR signatures is probably a tad overhyped.

After years of looking through NOD’s at people I will disagree that it is a “tad overhyped”.

FILO
                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Here are some related links for consideration…

Rit Dye NIR

US mil camouflage

Laundry Detergent

…it’s a complicated issue.

Many have seen these Threads, but maybe worth reviewing. Newer members may have missed these and gain some knowledge.

Again there is no perfect one size answer and ultimately testing is required to verify.

That said, for those with budget restraints Rampantraptor’s option is a good one and even if you have many uniforms (for lack of a better term) someday in a post-event world you will potentially run out. They are consumables!

LouF
                    Participant

Here are some related links for consideration…

Rit Dye NIR

US mil camouflage

Laundry Detergent

…it’s a complicated issue.

Many have seen these Threads, but maybe worth reviewing. Newer members may have missed these and gain some knowledge.

Again there is no perfect one size answer and ultimately testing is required to verify.

That said, for those with budget restraints Rampantraptor’s option is a good one and even if you have many uniforms (for lack of a better term) someday in a post-event world you will potentially run out. They are consumables!

Joe,

The links you provided no longer work. Can you repost them?

Anonymous
                    Inactive

After years of looking through NOD’s at people I will disagree that it is a “tad overhyped”.

…Well you’re the 1SG here, if you say so I’ll defer to your experience. :good:

Looks like we’d need some folks with rit dyed ACUs and NODs to figure that question out for certain.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Looks like we’d need some folks with rit dyed ACUs and NODs to figure that question out for certain.

It’s more complex than that, review the links I provided then we can discuss this in a detailed manner if you wish.

Anonymous
                        Inactive

It’s more complex than that, review the links I provided then we can discuss this in a detailed manner of you wish.

You’re right, should’ve read through those again, thanks, I’m a dummy. :wacko:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

We all go there on occasion. ;-)

First Sergeant

What Joe said.

It’s more complicated than most understand.

It’s got nothing to do with who I am here. I just want to make sure that the right knowledge gets out. There is so much bullshit floating around that most will get lost in it.

FILO
                              Signal Out, Can You Identify
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

ffhounddog
                              Participant

Tried this with some ACUs then lite up like a Christmas tree from the stuff at Walmart. Now I just use my May sets of OCP FRACUs because free. I still Use my old ACU combat shirts for training. Hate the UCP crap but for training it works. I still Have a lot of UCP Tactical Tailor stuff that gets used down at my parents house running and gunning.

Anonymous
                                Inactive

Tried this with some ACUs then lite up like a Christmas tree from the stuff at Walmart. Now I just use my May sets of OCP FRACUs because free. I still Use my old ACU combat shirts for training. Hate the UCP crap but for training it works. I still Have a lot of UCP Tactical Tailor stuff that gets used down at my parents house running and gunning.

So you were able to test it under NODS or no? Just curious.

ffhounddog
                                  Participant

Yes I was able to test it with some PVS14s. I might not have used the right stuff just some stuff I got a Walmart or target.

Anonymous
                                    Inactive

Yes I was able to test it with some PVS14s. I might not have used the right stuff just some stuff I got a Walmart or target.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also thanks 1SG, looking back now I was being a bit obtuse lol

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.