Drip Drop Oral Hydration Salts

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Drip Drop Oral Hydration Salts

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

There was some discussion late this summer about re-hydrating. After some testing on my part, this is probably the best product on the market for QUICKLY getting someone back to 100%.

Overview:

– This was originally developed for the third world, where IV’s aren’t available and/or the medical skill to administer them are not available either.

-It meets the World Health Organization standards for oral hydration salts.

-Scientifically based formula for optimal hydration.

-It has an ideal mixture of sodium, potassium, magnesium and glucose to get you back into the fight.

-Although it can be used as a sports drink, it really shines when you start to feel: tired, dizzy, headache, cramps, nausea, etc (IE when you are at least moderately dehydrated). Keep in mind, water alone cannot keep your body functioning under heavy exertion.

-Comes in single serving packets, so easy to throw in a ruck.

It has worked really well for me, having used it on a few occasions, both at home where I intentionally under-hydrated to test it, and in the field at the VTC on one occasion after a tough afternoon. The taste is decent. It’s palatable but not necessarily enjoyable. It’s WAAY more palatable than most other ORS, but remember this is a treatment, not a fruity cocktail on the beach.

It’s vital that you mix the powder in the correct volume of water. The correct concentration is required for maximum absorption speed. Absorption speed is what’s going to get you back to 100% not only faster, but also eliminates common side effects of bad re-hydration methods (liquid sloshing around in your stomach, heart burn, nausea, etc.

In my testing, I was feeling better within about 15 minutes, SIGNIFICANTLY better. I then waited another 10-20 minutes and lightly sipped about 16 oz of water.

As far as I’m aware, this is currently the best option for re-hydrating on the market right now. Give it a try. Amazon link below.

Drip Drop ORS

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thanks, this is very interesting to me.

Dehydration is a serious condition and can sneak up on those who aren’t experienced.

wheelsee
          Participant

Keep in mind, once vomiting sets in, you’re behind the curve and will likely need IV fluids (at least for rapid treatment). Even with vomiting, the attached info can be used for rehydration but may take 24 hours (designed for non-active people) https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2018/09/Homemade-Oral-Rehydration-Solutions-9-2018.pdf

Gatorade was a wonderful piece of marketing – Florida Gators and why it’s orange. The sugar content is high and was designed for those burning it off, not the sloths you see walking around Walmart (I’m talking the kids here). For some, you’ll know there’s too much sugar when diarrhea sets in or worsens – called osmotic diarrhea.

Gatorade smartened up with G2 but was having their market-share decline with Powerades Zero. A couple of month ago, Gatorade came out with Gatorade Zero. Both of these have the electrolytes but no calories. You’ll need to figure out what your own body needs.

When I’m working hard, I use Powerade Zero to keep hydrated and electrolyte replaced, then keep my carbs up with Nature Valley Honey and Oats (or similar). I’ve learned the hard way (reminded again this weekend) to stay away from the sugary drinks (again, osmotic diarrhea – once it sets in, it has to run its course….. pun intended)

Hessian
            Participant

I’ll have to grab a box and stash it in my pack.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that with the colder months approaching you still need to hydrate!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

JohnnyMac check your messages. ;-)

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.