Does anyone know what this shelter is?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Shelter and Sleep Systems Does anyone know what this shelter is?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

NOT MAX

I was introduced to this unusual shelter by a former British intelligence officer (rank unknown) at a Team Patrol class in August 2013. This was during a “show and tell” session during a class lunch break.

I forgot what the name of this 5 sided shelter was (4 walls and a roof). Dimension approximately 5×5 square feet by 4 feet tall. The shelter was designed to be supported by a seated person in each corner, facing each other, so it was ideal for a 4 man fire team.
        The material was a coated nylon or polyester waterproof fabric.

I assume it would be used for short durations to get out of inclement weather and had the advantage of being very quick to setup/take down since there were no poles or lines to hold it up. One model had a clear vinyl window to view out of.

If anyone knows about this shelter please enlighten me.

Max
        Keymaster

The white thing sounds familiar, but the name escapes me. If it is what I think it is, it is an arctic survival shelter. It is like a tent with no floor. You pull it out and everyone gets inside it. They sit around the edges where there is a bit of material that they put their ass on, which holds the thing down, while their backs hold it up.
          It’s designed to get you out the wind and sheltered when you are caught in a raging blizzard.

Max
          Keymaster

NOT MAX

Thanks Max.
            I wasn’t sure if the shelters origins were from the UK or not.
            I would think the UK gets their fair share of nasty weather.

Phe
            Participant

It is also called a ‘bothy bag’ or ‘storm shelter’ if that helps. They come in various sizes: 2 person, 4-6 person and larger. There are several European gear makers that make these, Rab,Vango, Summit Gear; and similar items such as Hilleberg’s windsack. I’m surprised I don’t see them being employed by guys in the US a lot more.
              Regards
              Phe

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.