DHS has a PSA site that may just save lives

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Medical Care DHS has a PSA site that may just save lives

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SeanT
      Keymaster

Stop The Bleed

The graphic shows a CAT-T

Share this with your sheep folks…it might just save someone.

Virgil Kane
        Participant

They are still saying to put it 2-3 inches above the injury. I’ve read that current military training is to put it right at the body.

What is the current standard?

Jamison
          Participant

I don’t know what the current guidance is for TQ’s but as of a few years ago they were still 2-3″ above the wound or the next joint up. I know in practice when I was in the army we just did things high and tight.

Originally the TQ placement was to save as much of the appendage as possible when you’re looking at over two hours to medical intervention. Now a days, nobody with a TQ would wait that long unless it’s in some sort of active shooter or maybe even out in the middle of nowhere and out of commo range from anyone.

I guess it depends, I would normally do high and tight if someone’s shot, or a car accident or something like that where the ER and/or surgery is only a few minutes away by ambulance/air.

SeanT
            Keymaster

I think the most important point is have a tourniquet. You can fabricate one if you have to but it is much easier to have the real deal.

Corvette
              Participant

Background: I’m an active duty Hospital Corpsman and I teach TCCC.

There are two situations when you put on a TQ, and the way they’re put on varies between the two.
                -The first situation is when you are in an active threat environment (in TCCC parlance this is called “Care Under Fire”). In this case you should place the tourniquet high and tight on the affected limb(s); this means as proximal to the torso as possible, irrespective of where on a limb the injury is. This is done for several reasons, but mainly because we want to minimize time on the X (this TQ is applied at the point of injury).
                -The second situation is when you are not in an environment with an active threat. In this case, with more time available to you (not that you have a lot of time regardless, TQs need to be put on quickly), you would place the TQ 2-3 above the affected part of the limb.

Also, I’m going to quickly dispel a couple myths regarding TQs. First, not a single TQ applied in OIF/OEF has caused limb loss. TQs simply don’t cause lasting nerve damage or metabolic issues if applied for less than six hours, and even after that the limb is often salvageable; so far, there has been about a 3% rate of transient (meaning temporary) nerve palsies. Second, the most important thing when applying a TQ is to apply it tightly enough: it should both stop bleeding completely AND remove any distal pulses. That’s really important, putting a TQ on a little to tight is way, way better than too loose. Finally, never loosen a TQ in the field unless appropriately trained; a properly applied TQ is likely to be extraordinarily painful (often more than the initial injury). That doesn’t mean the TQ is bad, placed incorrectly, or should be removed/loosened, just leave it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.