dedicated smoke pouches ? kit overhaul in progress.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment dedicated smoke pouches ? kit overhaul in progress.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

Does your smoke go in a dedicated pouch on your kit or just stuffed in a GP pouch? I’m trying to streamline my kit from plate carrier and first line to battle belt for weight and mobilizes sake so any insight on the matter would be appreciated.

Max
        Keymaster

The only smoke I have is Enola Gay airsoft smoke but I have two of them mounted on my chest rig using Condor 40mm Grenade Pouche. Holds two very tightly.

Corvette
          Participant

I’m currently using sportsmokes.

Chris

double mag pouch works good. Though if you want stream line and have MOLLE to spare, two retention bands (aka rubber bands) attached to upper lower halves secure it and make for easy use to pop off in a pinch

JustARandomGuy
              Participant

The small (standard size) EG smokes can fit 2 side by side (potentially 1 large EG smoke) in a tactical tailor fight light flashbang pouch. Will take up 2 spaces of MOLLE though, if space is an issue.

Tyr Tactical’s flashbang pouch will fit 1 of the standard EG smokes on 1 MOLLe space.

D Close

I ran sportsmoke in a MOLLE grenade pouch during CRCD. The hand grenade pouch will carry two. I have since removed the pouch to keep my PC as slick as possible. I like Shmitty’s idea about banding them on when you need them, otherwise, I plan on keeping mine in a pouch in my 3-day pack. The sport smokes will easily fit in a cargo pocket as well. I found it might be problematic to deploy these effectively in a forest environment anyway.

Max
                  Keymaster

I found it might be problematic to deploy these effectively in a forest environment anyway.

What was problematic? Were they the large “Battlefield Smokes?”

D Close

Well, Mr. B., I wasn’t going to get into that seeing this was more of a gear post but we can always spin it off if we need to. My experience with smoke is mostly confined to the signaling arena. Using the paintball stuff, I do not feel confident I can accurately deploy them at a distance (>10-20m), to a target area that would effectively obscure vision from an enemy position, given the tendency for foliage to make it difficult to do so. I still want them. For the moment, they are in my patrol pack, ready to be fished out if the need arises. I was influenced by Mosby in this when he talked about gear loads. Thoughts?

Corvette
                      Participant

D close are you throwing your smoke and hitting trees with it?

Max
                        Keymaster

I try not to, but always derail threads. My apologies if that is what I did here.

Still very green and trying to learn as much as possible, so nothing of value to add.

I didn’t know how far you needed to get smoke away from you to have it be effective concealment.

D Close

Aaron, well, that’s my concern. My understanding after reading and discussing a little was that we should try to get our smoke near as possible to the enemy position. So there is a question there that I was hoping someone could answer. How, where, when? Tactics?

Mr. B., we about to do some lernin’…

Corvette
                            Participant

Yes proper usages answers would be greatly appreciated. I’m rudimentary at best with employment methods :whistle:

Corvette
                              Participant

I’ve got a raging headache guys so forgive me if this is a little incoherent. Smoke has two main purposes one is signaling and the other is to provide obscurity. Lets talk about each one.

Signaling.

Understanding where you’ll be operating in is very important. I don’t want to pop green smoke if I want to draw attention in a forest or white smoke during a snow storm. I find that purple smoke is the best signaling in most environments followed by black smoke (which can also simulate a fire). Yellow is terrible for signaling as is white. Red and green are intermediate.

When signaling NEVER EVER EVER tell the observing party the color of the smoke you just threw. You tell them you popped smoke, they tell you the color, you confirm or deny color.

If I was signaling a rally point and said yellow smoke an enemy ambush team could throw yellow and light up my guys. Its rare but has happened.

Also understand that smoke has a limited time window. You pop too soon or too late and you just wasted a smoke. Which are stupid expensive for civies.

Obscurity.

The idea behind this is to provide limited obscurity. It is NOT concealment. A trained enemy will know whats happening when smoke is thrown. It means you’re moving and are trying to mask your movement. The best trick is to identify your direction of travel and throw smoke in the opposite direction as well as where your plan to move. This SHOULD confuse the enemy. I might just increase my rate of fire though. Hopefully you’re facing amateurs.

If I’m your opfor and I see smoke billowing on my left I’m gonna hammer it with gunfire. If I see smoke in two directions I’ll have to wait for movement. Or split my guns. It adds another dimension of thought that can buy you time. Something to think about when designing your SOPs. Be unpredictable.

Now you don’t have to get the smoke as close to the enemy position as possible unless you are marking them as a target for your shooters. This is where launched smoke really shines. In the army we practice marking targets with smoke so the squads can direct fire. It works pretty damn well. 26.5mm flare launchers are a good option for this in the civie realm.

If you get smoke too close to your own position you’ll “out run it” basically you’ll leave the area that’s obscured and then you wasted smoke which might not matter in a moment anyway. Depends on if you’re seen. Typically I like my smoke an equal distance between the opfor and my position or the position I’m getting my guys to.

Things will also effect your smoke like temperature and wind direction. Don’t throw smoke to your right if you’ve got wind coming from the left fro example. Also know that once smoke is thrown you have to wait until it billows a bit. Also one smoke is usually not enough to cover an area it’ll really depend on what type you have and where its thrown. Another important note is that the shit CAUSES FIRES LIKE NO ONES BUSINESS! I’ve shut down plenty of ranges because we caused fires with smoke. Also know if you throw one in a house that house is done. It’ll cause respiratory distress and permanently color the house which wont matter anyway because it’ll probably burn to the ground.

Like anything you can’t just hang onto it. You need to understand how your smoke works and what its limitations are. Have your friend throw one and walk through it so you can see it from the other perspective. Lastly understand its not magic. Its just smoke. Bullets still go through and you don’t disappear.

Lastly I usually carried mine in a double rifle magazine pouch. rubber bands through molle won’t last long crawling or in sunlight. Remember if its not tied down or in a pouch it’ll fall off at some point.

Corvette
                                Participant

Thanks much Aaron!

D Close

Aaron, Thank you. Yes, very expensive. I kept thinking I needed to get my smoke 50m through the trees to really block the enemy view. Your comment fixed my misconception. I like the tactic of also lighting a diversionary set.

Max
                                    Keymaster

Aaron. If this is you under the weather, I cannot imagine you feeling 100%! Thank you very much. A lot of real good info.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.