DD 214

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 months, 2 weeks ago by JMF. This post has been viewed 108 times
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      farmer
      Participant

Would it say on a DD 214 if you got in trouble while serving, or what the circumstances were if a DisHonorable or General Discharge,(Less than Honorable ?)upon your release from the services?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The reentry codes are found on DD Form 214 in the bottom section in blocks 24, 26 and 27:

Box 24 states the character of service with the type of discharge. This may be honorable, other than honorable (OTH), bad conduct, or dishonorable. You are normally only eligible for reenlistment if you have an honorable discharge. All other discharges than honorable tend to have legal or court martial offenses attached to them.

Box 26 contains the Separation Code, which tells the reason for discharge. There are many separation codes that prohibit you from re-entering the military, especially if you were kicked out before the completion of your enlistment contract. Separation codes are typically three-letter codes that have a meaning attached to them. Some examples of codes that would make you ineligible to return to service are the following: GKS (AWOL), GLF (drug use), and GMB (character or behavior disorder).

Box 27: It is box 27 that has the reentry code that will differ between the different branches of the military. In general, a code of RE-1 is good to go for all services and you are eligible to reenlist. If you have any other code you may be eligible, you may require a waiver, or you may be ineligible.

The codes used are subject to change. If you have been separated from the military for a number of years, you may find older codes on your DD214. Refer to the military’s ​Master List of Military Reenlistment Codes (RE) for further explanations. If you have an RE code that requires a waiver, you should contact the recruiting command to find out how to apply for a waiver.

farmer
          Participant

Thanks Joe

farmer
            Participant

I would assume they would not put anything classified on there, correct?

Or it would be blacked out/redacted.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Nothing classified on a DD214.

First Sergeant

I would assume they would not put anything classified on there, correct?

Or it would be blacked out/redacted.

Somebody feeding you a line of BS?

FILO
                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

trailman
                  Participant

I gotta ask, why are you asking?

SeanT
                    Keymaster

Me to
                      Not a fan of A-Holes dicking with my Veteran Data

farmer
                      Participant

My sister’s new live in boyfriend is setting off my B.S. Meter. Said he did 32 years in Army Corp of Engineers.
                        No job, no driver license, & the way he looks & carries himself doesn’t seem like a 32 year vet.

I am getting a feeling his back story isn’t going to add up.

@ SeanT, your not thinking I am trying to dick with your data, correct?

I am just trying to get info from trusted sources in this forum .

JMF
                        Participant

USACE has civilian and active duty/reserve employes. Some are dule status even (reserve/civilian).

First Sergeant

Guys, farmer is a good guy.

I figured when he started this that someone was feeding him a line of BS.

@farmer, send me a PM about this.

FILO
                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

farmer
                            Participant

USACE has civilian and active duty/reserve employes. Some are dule status even (reserve/civilian).

So if he was a civilian contractor/employee for that long a period, there would be no DD 214, is that correct?

xsquidgator
                              Participant

I saw a number of examples in the Navy that blew my mind, things that most people on the street would assume would be a Dishonorable Discharge but weren’t.
                                One guy (a senior E-6) at my last command got caught with something like $10k (in 1990s $) of government power tools and equipment in his car. He only got caught this one time by bad luck but for some time he’d been stealing equipment and selling it at flea markets. The $ amount clearly went into what would be grand theft territory, but he didn’t get a felony. He ended up getting kicked out after being reduced to E-1 and 30 days in the brig, and his discharge wasn’t a Dishonorable, it was a grade or two up from that. Makes me wonder just what do you have to do to get a Dishonorable, and if he got an Other Than Honorable, what does it mean if I run into someone with a Bad Conduct Discharge? (That’s one up from Dishonorable but down one grade from Other Than Honorable)

Getting caught on a drug test would (20-some years ago, anyway) get you booted out but I’m pretty sure those guys just got “General” discharges, and to someone who didn’t know there was anything but “Honorable” and “Dishonorable”, a General discharge doesn’t sound too bad, does it?
                                At my final duty station in the Navy, a training command, several senior NCOs (E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officers) got caught cheating on a staff continuing training exam and were booted out that same week. I’m not sure what type of discharge they were given, I do know they were allowed to retire, but by happenstance I was in our command’s office that week and got a glance at one of these guy’s Evals. (Navy enlisted personnel receive an annual Evaluation, kind of a report card that is one of the requirements that has to be met in order to advance in rank) and that too blew my mind. Instead of saying “Senior Chief X got caught cheating on a test and we shit-canned him”, the Eval said something about how well-intentioned he was, how determined to succeed he was and how he never let anything get in his way. I’d have never known this report was talking about the same guy I’d seen being almost frog-marched out of the place in disgrace.

Thomas
                                Participant

Dishonorable and Bad Conduct discharges result from conviction at courts martial. Certain commanders are vested with the authority to convene a Dishonorable or Bad Conduct Special court martial.

JMF
                                  Participant

Farmer, that is correct. Did he ever say what district worked at?

farmer
                                    Participant

@ JMF, He never gave specifics. By district, you mean Afghanistan or other?

JMF
                                      Participant

Farmer, the district’s are mostly state side, usually in a big city. When you get to overseas locations it gets a little wierd. Places like Afghanistan are staffed mostly with people TDY. Not knowing the guy, he could have spent 32 years in a mail room or a wearhouse as a civilian. Hope that helps.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.