Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan (plus tactical lessons)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan (plus tactical lessons)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Looks like a must-watch movie.

Points from the trailer:

1) At 00:30, this is exactly why you take a fire position every time you stop on patrol. It is hard to get this point across to people on classes such as HEAT 2.

2) Following that, the next few seconds show the absolute necessity of taking a good fire position, preferably in the prone. A lot of fire tends to go over the top. ‘Cool-guy’ always standing up stuff will get you killed. The ‘MOVE / FIRE’ technique, and assaulting through a position at the walk, only works if you can suppress it. properly suppress it.

3) There are several historical instances in Vietnam of the Aussies, and also the US, using close artillery support to hold of numerically superior enemy. You would see it in this movie, it was also used on a number of triangular ambushes, and you can also for example see it in the ‘We were soldiers’ movie. You won’t have that, no artillery to hold off the screaming commies. Be a good combat shooter.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Looks like a must-watch movie.

Definitely! :yes:

SeanT
          Keymaster

What were those diagonal slash marks on those trees? Rubber trees??

NM Answered my own question. Yes.

First Sergeant

Watch this documentary on Long Tan.

FILO
              Signal Out, Can You Identify
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Max
              Keymaster

Watch this documentary on Long Tan.

This is excellent. I am trying to make my way through it in parts.

I am curious to whether the radio audio is real, recorded at the time? It seems really good? Anyone any ideas?

I was watching the parts about the initial maneuver after the contact, going forward in extended line, then forming an L, then reversing the L. I may have to make a training video out of this one.

Two things occurred to me:

1) The similarities with the maneuver and what I attempted to describe with maneuver in Patriot Dawn. In particular in the woods when Zulu was being attacked, etc.

2) The flank and attempted flanking going on, reminiscent of what we recreate in FoF / CLC.

Could be a great training video.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am curious to whether the radio audio is real, recorded at the time? It seems really good? Anyone any ideas?

I suspect it’s a recreation based on radio logs.

Primarily because the reel to reel recorders of that age would have degraded severely over time.

These recordings sound too good.

However if it is a recreation it was done exceptionally well, perhaps by actual military trained Radio operators?

First Sergeant

From what is said early in the documentary I think it is a recreation. Early in the show they talk about how everything coming into the TOC was recorded and logged.

FILO
                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Danger Close is available on Amazon Prime Video as a rental deal for $2.99 vice normal $6.99.

I am sure it’s on other streaming sites as well.

Lloyd
                      Participant

I just watched “Danger Close” last night. Pretty good movie, and seems to track pretty well with the documentary (though it’s been 6 months since I watched the documentary).

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.