Culpeper Volunteers ‘Range Day Level 2’

View Latest Activity

Home Forums MVT News & Training Updates Culpeper Volunteers ‘Range Day Level 2’

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

We ran a ‘Range Day 2’ yesterday. Unlike Range Day 1, which equates to a HEAT 0.25, this was more like day 2 of HEAT 1. Instead of running basic buddy pairs F&M on the flat range, due to range sizes, we set it up in my valley where I make the YouTube videos. Hence the numbered pallets as cover locations.

Local, local, local. We have some great people in CV. It’s a mutual support liberty based group. All of you should be doing this. It is true that I was able to leverage the 2A movement to start this. You can to.

Inportant notes: this is not a militia. Don’t do militia. It always fails, and usually egos mean you can’t tell anyone anything. You are seeing some range stuff – this is only a minor part of what CV does as a Liberty and mutual support group.

All training is provided free.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        DiznNC
        Participant

This is awesome but scares the shit out of me at the same time.

Taking all the military trappings from it, especially the rank structure seems to be the recipe for success. Looking back at all these other organizations that tried to pull this off, they seem to have concentrated on establishing some kind of rank hierarchy and pseudo-military discipline before just going out and actually training. And perhaps letting all that take care of itself, frontier style, with leaders being elected, based on merit.

Essentially the cart before the horse. They acted like a guy just reported to their unit, but before he went to boot camp. I think this is the root of their problems. They basically just organized like a military unit, wore the clothing and equipment, and mimicked what they assumed a unit would do. All the trappings of the military, without the core infantry skill sets. Closer to a re-enactment weekend or boy scout camp out.

The difference here is these folks are all volunteers. They see a need for this, and are training accordingly. It is done informal, frontier style, versus the formal military way, which turns out to be the optimum approach. Take all the Colonels out of the equation and let good NCO’s train the ranks.

Many lessons to be learned here, for those that are paying attention.

wheelsee
          Participant

:good: :good:

Hessian
            Participant

Max, this is good stuff…

Will you make a post in the future on how you organized such a volunteer group in your area? This could be useful to others who wish to replicate such success in their local AOs.

Anonymous
              Inactive

Just following what Diz said, many effective armed nonstate groups don’t follow a strict, formal hierarchy with ranks.

I was Heval Agir no matter what job I was doing, everyone else was also Heval this or that. Your status in YPG is based on your position within the organization. You didn’t ask for a sergeant or lieutenant, you asked for the squad or platoon leader and that position was enough to merit due respect. We didn’t have a bunch or formalities with salutes and medals and whatnot, when the brigade commander came over we all simply got up on our feet and went down the line shaking hands as if any other members of the unit came to visit. The only time we rendered salutes was to the martyrs when we were in formation and to friends who were heading home, hopefully alive.

Our international unit was run a bit differently than regular Kurdish units, but we voted on elements of everyday living, our platoon commander made the final call on military matters but we still discussed them during platoon meetings. We agreed as a group how to allocate unit funds, and who would be most effective to lead PT, to handle the armory, to lead training, to lead squads, etc. Naturally it was our former NCOs and officers who filled those combat leadership positions because everyone knew a simple popularity contest would get us all killed. If a platoon commander is cruel or incompetent, unit members could vote democratically to platform the commander and send the request up the chain of command.

Especially when we’re dealing with training volunteers in peacetime that can say screw this unit and go home without consequence, demanding strict discipline and pulling rank is pointless.

First Sergeant

:good:

FILO
                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DiznNC
                  Participant

You know I have been following unconventioanl warfare for a long time, and this thread probably contains more truth than years of forum discussions.

You simply cannot run a volunteer self-defense group like a line infantry outfit. You don’t have any authority, other than what respect you command from your troops. Lose that and there is nothing to back it up.

I think this is a major reason all these groups never accomplish anything. They are too busy playing the part, for either prestige and/or money. If you are a threat to either one, then you must be thrown out. For those that can see through this, they lose all respect for them. Why would I fight under some buffoon, who would rather push away someone that knows more than him, rather than step aside for the good of the unit? And I am thinking here of how WRSA treated Max.

But anyways, as scary as this is, I am also impressed that Max has “turned to” (navy-speak for jump right in) this here sit, and is helping out at a local level.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.