Crye Nightcap or other Helmet Mount

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Crye Nightcap or other Helmet Mount

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Not By Max

I wanted to get opinions on the Crye Nightcap. I understand it is a better option than the standard ‘skullcrusher’ and better than nothing. I like the idea of being able to stuff into a ruck when not in use.

DiznNC
        Participant

No one has hit this yet so I’ll chime in. I have heard both good and bad about it. But I have heard the same stuff about ballistic and bump helmets as well. When you first run a NV head mount system it takes some getting used to. I had a nice headache the first few times I ran it for extended periods. Takes some getting used to. With that in mind, I think the Night Cap is gonna work out just fine, once you are used to it. I saw several out at MVT and was impressed with it. I plan on getting one myself. The reduced weight and bulk is awesome. For our purposes, I think this is the optimum solution.

jane
          Participant

I love mine… it holds the PVS-14 pretty steady once you adjust it correctly. Mind you, I also use a 14 oz counterweight (velcros on the back of the night cap).

We had a night shoot at my neighbor’s house last week and he tried it out as well — he was amazed at how well it worked.

It is not uncomfortable in any way, unlike the skull crusher.

JC
            Participant

Max posted about it last year. See “The Awesome Must Have Gear Item”
              http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/2014/07/the-awesome-must-have-gear-item/

I have owned the nightcap for about a year using it 2x at MVT and lots hunting…particularly when navigating to or from a blind.

It’s very comfortable and I use spare batteries as my counterweight.

Stores nice and compact. Holds the pvs14 very steady.

Max
              Keymaster

Thanks Everyone for the feedback. Ive gone ahead and ‘pulled the trigger’ (pun intended) on the Nightcap.

Robert
                Participant

It appears to be a well built piece of kit. I need to get one for a back up to the ACH. Just keep it in your BOB.

Just keep in mind you will still have to buy the shroud and mount. That can easily add a couple hundred bucks to the bottom line there.

wheelsee
                  Participant

Just keep in mind you will still have to buy the shroud and mount. That can easily add a couple hundred bucks to the bottom line there.

Any suggestions on a mount?? Totally new to this…..just received the NightCap.

Brian from Georgia
                    Participant

Norotos Rhino II titanium mount. Mine worked well with a Wilcox L4 3-hole shroud.

Robert
                      Participant

What Brian said.

VAS shroud off of Ebay is what I put on my first one. Then a Titanium mount and worked great.

Recently bought another Night cap for my son. I searched ‘VAS Shroud” again on Ebay and for about the same cash bought one. I’m guessing it’s some knock off because I went through 12-15 Rhino mounts trying to find one that fit and none did. So make sure the shroud is genuine.

The counterweight deal I’m still figuring out. Not a huge huge fan of the nightcap in general but it’s come in handy a few times.

Robert
                        Participant

I don’t have any of those shrouds for the Nightcap, but if you need a Rhino mount shoot me an email. I got an excellent deal on some used, excellent condition ones recently.

First Sergeant

Opscore VAS shroud is the one I use on my helmet.

Opscore Skeleton shroud is the one I use on my Nightcap. It is a little bit lighter weight.

You can check either OP Tactical or TNVC.

There are Chinese knockoffs floating around.

The counterweight deal I’m still figuring out. Not a huge huge fan of the nightcap in general but it’s come in handy a few times.

What’s the issue with the counter weight?

Just curious, what don’t you like about the nightcap?

FILO
                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

How well does the Crye Nightcap breath compared to various helmets available?

Sweating my rear end off thoughts in humid Florida. ;-)

Robert
                              Participant

Opscore Skeleton shroud is the one I use on my Nightcap. It is a little bit lighter weight.

What’s the issue with the counter weight?

Just curious, what don’t you like about the nightcap?

Probably just need to work with it more than anything else, tweak the counterweight placement, etc.

Brian from Georgia
                                Participant

How well does the Crye Nightcap breath compared to various helmets available?

Sweating my rear end off thoughts in humid Florida. ;-)

It breathes very well since it’s mesh. My biggest complaint is the high location of the counterweight Velcro, positioned where it is due to the fact that it has a baseball cap style rear opening for adjustment.

I need to do a mod to lower the pouch.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It breathes very well since it’s mesh.

Appreciate the feedback. :good:

wheelsee
                                    Participant

On the TNVC website, there are 2 different OpsCore Skeleton shrouds listed – Ops-Core Skeleton Shroud and Ops-Core Skeleton One-hole Shroud?????

Which one do you recommend??

Robert
                                      Participant

You want a three hole for that one.

First Sergeant

You want a three hole for that one.

^^^^What he said. Three hole for the nightcap for stability. You can run a one hole shroud on a helmet if it is drilled for it. A helmet is a lot more stable for just one screw.

Joe-as stated above it breaths a hell of a lot better than a helmet does. One suggestion with wearing it. Put it on, buckle the chin strap and then put your eye pro on with the arms outside of the chin strap. Does that make sense?

Robert-Understood. You are not the first that I have heard say that about the location of the counterweight. I have never had an issue with it. I think part of it is spending enough time wearing it so that you can get used to it.

FILO
                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Does that make sense?

To be able to keep straps tight without pressing temple arms into face? :good:

wheelsee
                                            Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Robert – PM sent

First Sergeant

Does that make sense?

To be able to keep straps tight without pressing temple arms into face? :good:

Yes.

FILO
                                                Je ne regrette rien
                                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                                                Participant

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor??

http://www.armsunlimited.com/Ops-Core-Skeleton-VAS-Shroud-for-ACH-MICH-Helmets-p/opscoreshroud-skel.htm

On sale for $79….. Is it too good to be true?? :scratch:

First Sergeant

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor??

http://www.armsunlimited.com/Ops-Core-Skeleton-VAS-Shroud-for-ACH-MICH-Helmets-p/opscoreshroud-skel.htm

On sale for $79….. Is it too good to be true?? :scratch:

I have never ordered from them but know of others that have. They report no issues.

That’s the best info I can give you.

I have seen them on sale other places. OP Tactical has them on sale a lot of times. That’s why they are out of stock a lot of times.

FILO
                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                                                    Participant

[/quote]
                                                      I have never ordered from them but know of others that have. They report no issues.
                                                      [/quote]

Ordered. I’ll report back the experience…..

wheelsee
                                                      Participant

Thanks to everyone’s input and to Robert for supplies!!

Question – how are people wearing eye pro while wearing the NightCap?? I have the J-arm fully extended and I can find NO way for glasses to fit……

First Sergeant

Thanks to everyone’s input and to Robert for supplies!!

Question – how are people wearing eye pro while wearing the NightCap?? I have the J-arm fully extended and I can find NO way for glasses to fit……

I always wear eye pro. Never had any issues.

What kind of eye pro are you using?

FILO
                                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                                                          Participant
                                                            Robert
                                                            Participant

Counterweight? You pretty much have to use a counterweight with the nightcap deal. I tried without it and it was a mess.

Robert
                                                              Participant

The Titanium Rhino mount I sent you has some in and out adjustment also.

wheelsee
                                                                Participant

The Titanium Rhino mount I sent you has some in and out adjustment also.

Yep, have it all the way out. With a helmet, the mount is further away from the forehead, so I can see the need to be able to bring closer in. With the NightCap, the mount is resting almost right against the forehead.

wheelsee
                                                                  Participant

OK, got it figured. With the Revision Sawfly, the eye piece (amber lens) is right against the eye pro but it is doable.

Thanks to everyone for the trouble-shooting
                                                                    :good:

First Sergeant

OK, got it figured. With the Revision Sawfly, the eye piece (amber lens) is right against the eye pro but it is doable.

Thanks to everyone for the trouble-shooting
                                                                      :good:

That is the one thing that each person has to figure out with the nightcap. You don’t have as much adjustment room.

Are you using the standard eye piece that comes with 14’s or do you have the Wilcox amber filter? That may have something to do with it. I use the Wilcox filter. May be something to look at.

I will be at the VTC this weekend for CRS. So if I don’t respond to this, I am not ignoring you. ;-)

FILO
                                                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                                                                      Participant

That is the one thing that each person has to figure out with the nightcap. You don’t have as much adjustment room.

Are you using the standard eye piece that comes with 14’s or do you have the Wilcox amber filter? That may have something to do with it. I use the Wilcox filter. May be something to look at.

I will be at the VTC this weekend for CRS. So if I don’t respond to this, I am not ignoring you. ;-)

Yes, using the Wilcox amber filter.

I normally wear glasses and made the rookie mistake of trying to figure it out without my Revision eye pro…..

First Sergeant
                                                                        Moderator

LOL, that would cause some issues.

FILO
                                                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

• #106179
                                                                          Civilianresponder
                                                                          Participant

Regarding the chincup on the night cap. Mine seems to be off center even at the limits of adjustment. Has anyone else had this issue? I read about a few instances on some other forums.

• #106180
                                                                            A_A_Ron2guns
                                                                            Participant

Mine is off center but I have a big fucking head. I’ve considered fixing it myself but it’s not a deal breaker. Benefits still outweigh the cons.

• #106181
                                                                              Civilianresponder
                                                                              Participant

I spoke to someone at Crye Precision and they are aware of the issue but don’t care as it only affects some users. I like the nightcap but would have expected alot better quality control from a company like this. :negative: I guess I will be looking at ways to fix it myself. Maybe a replacement chinstrap from ops-core or team wendy.

• #106182
                                                                                Mike
                                                                                Participant

Same here its off center so I sent it back and got another one which is also off center. A real disappointment. I guess they figure you will be using in the dark anyway so no one will see what a retard you look like with a chin strap on the side of your face. Lol

• #106183
                                                                                  Civilianresponder
                                                                                  Participant

I unstitched the straps where they attach to the night cap and threaded them back through using the tri glides which increases the amount of adjustment on the chin cup side

• #106184
                                                                                    Civilianresponder
                                                                                    Participant

It was pretty easy to do.

Viewing 40 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.